You gotta love the linux community!

KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
Just coming from the steam forums, the general impression is:

Windows user: "This ♥♥♥♥ing piece of junk doesn't work! What the hell were the devs thinking selling this utter piece of garbage! I can run everything else maxed out!"

Linux user: "The game seems to crash randomly on start up, no idea why. Anyone any ideas? My system specs are ....
edit: found a fix: do this and that and the problem is solved"

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    As Linux users are used to beta software maybe we can keep more players from there...
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    If you want to see something amazing, read this:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?709094-Linux-Slow-game-startup-on-Linux-and-what-tracing-reveals&highlight=strace

A linux user of Europa Universalis IV used strace to measure time the application spends with each system call, and pinpointed unnecessary and frequent fsync calls as the source of the problem, and even formulated a hypothesis that the improper implementation of PhysicsFS in Linux is the source of the problem. Even the devs were amazed.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Linux fosters a different community (usually highly intelligent and resourceful) versus the much larger windows 'general public' user. They're probably used to stuff not working without tweaking so it comes naturally.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The average Windows user is not up to par on programming/general computer skills as the average Linux user. That does not mean you won't find Windows users who would hack into the game executable to find out the actual cause of a specific crash... like I did
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Lets face it. Only tech savvy people are interested in Linux at all, as most day-to-day applications that john and sue use are windows based. That, and I don't know of any home computers that are sold with Linux installed. (don't be a smartypants and start about android)

I would actually fit the profile to be a linux user as well, but I have too many tools and games that I use on windows, and I'm used to windows. I'm too lazy to learn to how use Linux etc. :p

So, I can definitely understand the difference. I guess the OS creates a virtual 'border' of sorts, between those that know how computers work and those who don't.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Give them 6 months with technical problems and check the forum again ;)
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Angelusz wrote: »
    I don't know of any home computers that are sold with Linux installed.

That is very common here in Brazil, mostly because it makes them cheaper. Computers and computer parts are very expensive over here; only real enthusiasts spend money on them.
    I would actually fit the profile to be a linux user as well, but I have too many tools and games that I use on windows, and I'm used to windows. I'm too lazy to learn to how use Linux etc. :p

I'm on the same boat as you ;)

I run a virtual machine with Ubuntu for those times where I need to do some software development on it. It also runs my private SVN server, private web server and other stuff.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Also just use a VM with standard Ubuntu install for any coding. Wine is getting better and better at running Windows games though. It's seriously temping to just swap entirely.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    edited August 2013
    Lets face it. Only tech savvy people are interested in Linux at all, as most day-to-day applications that john and sue use are windows based. That, and I don't know of any home computers that are sold with Linux installed. (don't be a smartypants and start about android)

Dual boot :) That's what I do. You may find, as with me, that after a while the only reason you boot to Windows anymore is for games. It often merely comes down to the fact that Linux is a pleasure to use, not to mention faster. Even the native Steam client on Linux feels zippier than under Windows.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester