Smaller increments of success feedback. Tracking cumulative damage through the round.

moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
After the steam sale, I've been playing a lot of Chivalry. It's a much more forgiving game than ns2, but it's possible to get utterly shut down by a good player there as well. I noticed something that was really good feedback for making new players not feel like they are entirely useless. Chivalry tracks how much damage you have dealt and received throughout the round. Actually scoring a kill might be hard for a new player, but it's nice to see an indication that you've done some damage.

Adding this would help ns2. It would help new players not get demoralized, and give them better feedback on their progress. A new player will start as a skulk getting toasted from 20 feet away, and gradually they will learn how to get within range and get one bite in. This is a big advancement for the player, but right now we offer no feedback about it. It'd be nice if we tracked a stat throughout the round that rewarded this.

Comments

• BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Maybe even split it between Player damage and Res Damage (i.e. killing structures and bile bombing weapons), this way they not only know that they helped in a fight, but also that they cost the enemy commander resources