European Open 2013 Announced! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited June 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageEuropean Open 2013 Announced! - Natural Selection 2

The Natural Selection 2 competitive scene is remarkable. It is player run, player driven, player focused. And it makes a bang that belies the fact that Natural Selection 2 is not the size of DoTA2, CoD, SC2, or TF2. It’s time for the next big bang. ENSL.org and Unknown Worlds, in association with Multiplay, are pleased to announce the 2013 European Open!

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump for comment thread. This is going to be eeeeepppppiiiiccccccc!!
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    The only thing I don't see is if it will be using Vanilla NS2 or Balance Mod.
  • chikotochikoto Join Date: 2013-02-15 Member: 183078Members
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So its safe to say the content patch is nearing September then. :CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Syknik wrote: »
    The only thing I don't see is if it will be using Vanilla NS2 or Balance Mod.
    It'll be whatever iteration we have of the game by then.

• ReubotReubot Join Date: 2012-10-15 Member: 162374Members
    edited June 2013
    Cool stuff. Please get a decent micropfone for Blind so he doesn't sound like a buzzsaw
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
  • king_yoking_yo Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67192Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    How much stage time are you buying? Because how much time a final can take is hard to determine, unless it's another rollover, and being cut in the middle might be quite annoying.
  • Leech0rLeech0r Join Date: 2013-05-19 Member: 185290Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    Nice one! Can't wait for biodome :)
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2013
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    king_yo wrote: »
    How much stage time are you buying? Because how much time a final can take is hard to determine, unless it's another rollover, and being cut in the middle might be quite annoying.

This question is being carefully considered... No one wants that to happen. However long we have, it's going to be a great spectacle. Previous events in Cologne were in a studio environment, which was fun, but this one is in a giant hall full of gamers. It will be a totally different vibe.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    Does the cost of this actually get enough advertising to benefit development? Seems like a money sink from my perspective. Could be that I don't care about the future of comp gaming though. Perhaps I am biased in this respect. Not trying to be a downer.
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    Just a small banner if some one need it.
    11371158713.jpg
  • PampelmusePampelmuse Join Date: 2005-04-06 Member: 47641Members
    Thats great news!

Just out of curiosity: Do backers get mentioned somehow? Like in the credits of a yt video?

However i hope the full match will be watchable at the insomnia stage <3
    0ni wrote: »
    Does the cost of this actually get enough advertising to benefit development? Seems like a money sink from my perspective. Could be that I don't care about the future of comp gaming though. Perhaps I am biased in this respect. Not trying to be a downer.

Very valid question! In the past, these events have been line-ball in terms of short term revenue generated vs costs incurred. However, the long term benefits of competitive events are harder to quantify.

It is likely that there are long term benefits to supporting competitive communities. They inspire play, show off developer support, foster community spirit, provide opportunities for UWE to be face to face with players, and more.

It is my intention to refine UWE's model for supporting competitive play to such a degree that events like this are infinitely sustainable. That is, they can continue to be held regularly every few months, all around the world (Including the United States). To be sustainable, they must generate enough revenue to at least consistently cover their costs.

This would position NS2 as a game that provides truly remarkable experiences for its community. International travel, LAN events in front of huge audiences, top-notch play - Such things that many of us have aspired to in our gaming lives.

You can see an attempt to refine the model in the prizing structure for this event. The NSL Invitational Cup cost UWE $5,000 in prize money alone. By implementing a $ for $ method, I hope to reduce that cost and increase the size of prize pools for teams.

Such a method also provides a useful signal: If no one contributes, then perhaps the experiences provided by these events are not in demand. I certainly hope they are. It is fun playing games at a desk with others, connected by the internet. It is fun watching online tournaments on Twitch, knowing players are out there doing their best.

But the energy generated, the skills displayed, the friendships forged and spectacle produced by live LAN events is surely even better. It is gaming bringing people together, gaming entertaining, gaming as a display of skill. It is an ideal worth pursuing!
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited June 2013
    Please learn your mistakes from the previous event, ala...

Don't do face painting
    Fill down time with interviews from players / devs
    Map discussions
    Random raffle events for spectators
    Twitter/Facebook competitions during live event

If the final is a 5-0 and an absolute smashing, then perhaps create a draft team to fill in the remaining time. I'm sure there are lots of ways to do this

Apart from that, its always great to see more involvement from UWE. Good work!
  • king_yoking_yo Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67192Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Hugh wrote: »
    king_yo wrote: »

This question is being carefully considered... No one wants that to happen. However long we have, it's going to be a great spectacle. Previous events in Cologne were in a studio environment, which was fun, but this one is in a giant hall full of gamers. It will be a totally different vibe.

Thanks for the answer

Don't do...

This event is not happening in studio and contains zero filler. It is game-play and nothing else.

Also, what do you mean by draft team?
  • AiorosAioros Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14850Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    just THX !!!
    new event, new cup new time to play some awesome ns2!

hope the bt mod gets live asap!
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Hugh wrote: »
    Don't do...

This event is not happening in studio and contains zero filler. It is game-play and nothing else.

Also, what do you mean by draft team?

Say you have 3 hours to fill, and the final is over after 2 hours, you could take some NS players from the crowd, form teams, and have them do some scrims for the remaining time.

Anyway, awesome initiative.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Awesome stuff. Great job Hugh, the rest of UWE, and ENSL.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Awesome stuff indeed. Its an hour away from my house. If I can get tickets I'll be coming down to show support. anyone else thinking of attending in person?
  • mithosirismithosiris Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 180007Members
    Will we play Balance mod or Vanilla? We need to know this to train the tournament.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    sounds good to me, seems like more fun to be had!!
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Seems like a strange time to do this. Should people be expecting to be playing with Sewleks BT improvements implemented in time for this cup?
  • b1.seb1.se Stockholm, Sweden Join Date: 2012-09-17 Member: 159734Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2013
    Why not patch in the bt mod 1st and let teams have time to practice that?
    Now you just promote the boring simple play old version that has seen so much player and team retardion
    It's useless to support the 3-5 active teams. They don't bring new players or teams into scene.
    Also you are undermining the ensl's cup. Teams don't really want to practice/play 2 different versions in a mix.
    Why not just send the money directly to archea's account and be over with it.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kalakuja, first it'll probably be using the BT mod. They're probably thinking by holding this more people will create mix teams which will get more people to play the game. Lastly, get with the times, Archaea isn't even a team anymore.
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    edited June 2013
    kalakuja wrote: »
    Why not patch in the bt mod 1st and let teams have time to practice that?
    Now you just promote the boring simple play old version that has seen so much player and team retardion
    It's useless to support the 3-5 active teams. They don't bring new players or teams into scene.
    Also you are undermining the ensl's cup. Teams don't really want to practice/play 2 different versions in a mix.
    Why not just send the money directly to archea's account and be over with it.

The European Open will use whatever iteration of the game we have by then. This means whatever features and balance UWE decides to put in from the balance mod. It's open to any EU team that wants to participate (up to 16). Archaea will most likely not be participating, seeing as Fana mentioned on Showtime yesterday that they're taking a break for summer. Even if they were, there are teams with a legitimate chance to beat them also. As an admin from the ENSL, this cup doesn't undermine our tournaments or anything we're doing. In fact, we are fully supportive of this and actively planning the Group Stages leading up to the live playoff events.

Edit for clarification: As an important note, the old vanilla NS2 gameplay will NOT be used for this. There is a good chance that the Balance Test mod will be included in the official build by the time this cup starts, but in case it's not, the games have to be played on the current Balance Test mod version.
  • blindblind Join Date: 2010-04-17 Member: 71437Members, Squad Five Gold
    To make it short what Zefram said:

Don't practice current vanilla, practice BT.