[Video Tutorial] Build 250 Skulk + Fade Movement, beginner to advanced

ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
edited June 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Note: While these videos were made for balance test, and the footage is from balance test; the same mechanic still applies in build 250. The difference is you can
a) No longer reach speeds that fast
b) No longer use routing to navigate (this was mainly due to speed, so connect this with point a
c) Use strafing on ground to accelerate

Rest is the same, so enjoy! :) (makes a minute or so of the advanced skulk video null, but not worth a re-take)

Bitrate: 5000
Resolution: 1920x1080 (If it's not 1080p it's still processing or what not to youtube)
Framerate: 30

Skulk Beginner

Skulk Advanced

Fade Beginner + Advanced

Comments

• ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thread does not deliver.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I made the thread in advance, I will edit the main post as the videos upload; I'm making them as we speak. and one is uploading with 13 minutes left. Takes a lot longer to upload than I thought, but that's probably my slow up speed
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Typically, its best to make a thread after you have a video to post in it...
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Music so bad it's almost funny.

Also that movement looks pretty crazy OP.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    I am sad and excited at the same time.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    Lol balanced skulk...

Add fall damage so when you hit that door jam going into pipe you snap your neck...
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2013
    ezekel wrote: »
    Also the movement is not OP, that's just speed running the map and that's after you've mastered it

yeah but to be honest it's not very difficult to "master". I "mastered" it my third game playing the BT, that was also the first game that I actually realized you could bhop. edit: i suppose it would have taken a game or two longer if sewlek and friends weren't in the server actively answering my questions about it.

as skulk it's incredibly easy.. not so much as fade, but that's probably my unwillingness to rebind crouch into a more accessible key to hold down.
    All videos done, basic skulk should be up in 4-5 minutes, other videos will upload right after :) Good thing my mic didn't record the first time, as they videos were made much better!
    first video is up!
    second video up in aprox 15 minutes, advanced skulk. Then fade!
    advanced skulk up, fade uploading now
    all videos uploaded, enjoy
  • SynVisionsSynVisions Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166607Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am so excite.

If this makes it into mainline ns2 it will be the best thing ever.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Jekt wrote: »
    race me

for pinks?
    so do my videos suck or what?? I've never actually recorded anything before on my computer lol
  • tummy_yummytummy_yummy Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185073Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm not keeping track of the balance mod at all, but I do say that this movement looks like a lot of fun. It's almost Tribes-like in a way.
  • LerkinOffLerkinOff Join Date: 2013-05-16 Member: 185254Members
    Ezekel the vids are really good, short and to the point.
    edited May 2013
    Ok cool, thanks! I've never really made videos before.. maybe I'll make some more, just one issue I had was when I was recording I felt minor input lag and it didn't seem to be framerate related (even if my framerate was above desired) I was feeling like input lag/micro stutters.. not so much when I was recording but it only seems to do it when I record at a high framerate or etc (I originall wanted to record at 60-120 fps, which did work, however at 120 fps there was some serious stutter!)

So I found recording at 30 fps in 1080p didn't seem to give that much, but I still felt it to the point where I wouldn't want to be playing seriously and have a recording going on!

edit: I was using Open broadcasting software 64 bit! except I wasn't streaming, just recording locally! Surprisingly the file sizes are really small
  • SkipjackSkipjack Join Date: 2005-04-13 Member: 48323Members, Constellation
    very nice!

devs: please make this official, this is exactly what this game is missing! PLEASE
  • LokeLoke Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 13988Members
    You have a good voice. Great videos too. Btw, what are your key bindings?
    edited May 2013
    Loke wrote: »
    You have a good voice. Great videos too. Btw, what are your key bindings?

All default! :) (although I recommend changing talk key to F and your flashlight/alien vision key to K)

Also sorry about my voice at some points being underheard over the game sound. I believe the higher my headset volume is, the louder the sound comes out in the actual video; so if I were to have just turned down my headset volume then my voice would have been more loud compared to the game audio, so I'll keep that in mind!

• FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    That feel when you see several skulks coming at you @ 100 mph.
    Fule wrote: »
    That feel when you see several skulks coming at you @ 100 mph.

Oh it's pretty scary :p but I don't expect to see many people doing the skulks top speed, just the average speed which is still fast but not as fast as you saw at one point in the second video (even then I was making mistakes so ;p0) it takes a lot of time because you need to know the route you're doing plus each jump there can be no mistakes and being honest if you're trying to get that speed you're probably not playing in the match lol.. you're just racing around which won't really help the team

So you need to know when it's the right moments to do this, like round starts for example, fleeing, or map rotations..

• Mellow1123Mellow1123 Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183615Members
    What's the name of your crosshair mod ezekel? I like it more than the magenta dot im using now
  • WoollySammothWoollySammoth Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183062Members
    The new speed looks awesome, I'd rather this game was a little faster. :)

Also, Any chance of some combat related videos? It'd be good to see how well the mechanics work in times of fighty goodness, and if the marines can fairly cope with it. :p
    Mellow1123 wrote: »
    What's the name of your crosshair mod ezekel? I like it more than the magenta dot im using now

deathmongers csgo magenta crosshair + melee
    The new speed looks awesome, I'd rather this game was a little faster. :)

Also, Any chance of some combat related videos? It'd be good to see how well the mechanics work in times of fighty goodness, and if the marines can fairly cope with it. :p

I would but recording causes input lag, well not so much at 30 fps; but I'm not sure why, my framerate felt stable but my mouse input was obviously delayed (and the more frames I record at or w/e the more the delay, even if performance isn't being negatively affected)

I'm using OBS if anyone can help me

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Good tutorial, but there a few things that would help improve it:
    - Turn on debugspeed (requires cheats to be on) to show your actual speed (its a bit hard to see the subtle speed changes without it)
    - For movement tutorials, overlaying a keyboard on your screen/video really helps. My suggestion is to use Hot Virtual Keyboard (its not free, but the evaluation version is fully functional; here is my test example using OBS: http://www.twitch.tv/scardybob/c/2261555)
    - The background music is a bit distracting from what your doing. I'd suggest having no music playing (its a tutorial after all) or, if you really want some music, use either something from the NS2 soundtrack or soft elevator music-like songs.
    ezekel wrote: »
    I would but recording causes input lag, well not so much at 30 fps; but I'm not sure why, my framerate felt stable but my mouse input was obviously delayed (and the more frames I record at or w/e the more the delay, even if performance isn't being negatively affected)

I'm using OBS if anyone can help me
    For high quality local recordings: http://obsproject.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2972

Also, if your only planning on uploading the videos to YouTube, 30 fps is all you need to record, as YouTube will drop the converted video down to 30 fps. Also, any screen capture program will cause performance issues while recording, so the input lag you were experiencing is probably just from lower fps.

However, if you want to record action with as minimal fps impact as possible you could try:
    - Using game capture rather than monitor or software capture (will need to run the 32-bit version of OBS and have NS2 be in fullscreen mode)
    - Setting the x264 preset to either superfast or ultrafast (will produce lower quality video)