Alright guys, it's time to fix this once and for all- Downloading Mods Error

ChalarieChalarie Join Date: 2012-05-03 Member: 151459Members
This is not the first time I have posted regarding this issue, but I know I am not the only one with this issue. For anyone who hasn't experienced it, it is an error caused when joining a modded server where steam workshop is unable to download the mods and so you are kicked back to the menu screen and unable to join the server. I am sick and tired of hearing the same response to this issue: "Open the console then download the mods manually and rejoin the server". Correct, this fixes the immediate issue of not being able to join the server, but a workaround like this is not a replacement for a broken feature.

As I understand, and have experienced on rare occasions, Steam Workshop simplifies the process of modding in multiplayer by automatically downloading the required mods making the experience seamless. Currently many of us are experiencing issues with this feature, and when attempting to connect to a modded server, something goes wrong while downloading mods. The console starts all the downloads, but usually does not finish any and boots you back to the main menu with the error on screen reading, "Missing Required Mod". In the console we see all of the errors for the individual mods, ending with an error code 16. I have a screenshot of an example of the errors and popup in this screenshot:
NMPXLDd.jpg
Steam support describes error 16 as: "Incomplete Installation (16)

Network timeout. Please wait a few minutes and then try launching the game once more. If the issue persists, please complete this guide."

So, I have a few questions to ask that will hopefully get us closer to finding the issue.

Who all is having this issue? Is it universal, or just a select bunch?

Is it Steam Workshop's fault, or something wrong with NS2?

How long have people had this issue? (I have been having it since steam workshop integration, I am pretty sure)

The aim of this thread is to be constructive. At this point we are aware that there are workarounds but that is not the answer. UWE, this is something that is affecting a good number of your playerbase and I would hope you would at least look into it and get back to us. The modding community is quickly growing and I would love to take part in it, but this issue makes it much harder to do so.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2013
    Thats on steamworkshop's end it looks like.
    Some have had luck with changing the steam server settings to a different location.
  • meat_meat_ Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182821Members
    +1 on this, I can't join any servers with mods even after clearing out my C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\Workshop folder. It's getting way old, clearing that out used to work, now, no such luck.
  • Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    me too , i cant join server with too much mods installed , error 16 can not downloading mods

i think server owner should remove all mods and make a clean dedicatedservers
  • TwiStErTwiStEr Join Date: 2008-11-10 Member: 65415Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    same for me ... i usually can join in the 2nd try ... but only if its the same server, if it still has a free spot that is ...

please fix
  • benisbenis Join Date: 2013-04-17 Member: 184880Members
    I have had this issue as well for about a week or so, now I cannot even see any servers to join.

I was playing fine last night.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I've got a feeling it happens when there's more than one mod to download; why connecting again seems to fix the issue. The two or three mods start to download, but only one completes, or after the first mod is downloaded the game checks if you're "missing any required mods", sees that you are (still downloading) and boots you off the server. Rejoining will download another mod, check, see if you're missing mods, boot you off the server. On servers with only one mod this issue doesn't seem to happen, and I think that might be the reason.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Ironsoul, you are right. Basically what happens is you have a period of time to download your mods. At the end of that time if you haven't managed to download all the mods steam decides something has gone wrong kicks you off the server. This means that the server can have more people playing and you don't spend a half hour waiting for quake_dominating_lolo2345.wav to download.

If you retry the connection you start off further down the list since you have already downloaded some of the mods you need.

If you know what mod you need you can manually subscribe via the workshop and it will install before the connection attempt. Just go to the mod menu and you should see what is updating.

• ReubotReubot Join Date: 2012-10-15 Member: 162374Members
    edited May 2013

Confused said:
    If you know what mod you need you can manually subscribe via the workshop and it will install before the connection attempt.
    No it won't.

Chalarie said:
     I am sick and tired of hearing the same response to this issue: "Open the console then download the mods manually and rejoin the server". Correct, this fixes the immediate issue of not being able to join the server, but a workaround like this is not a replacement for a broken feature.

How exactly do you do it manually?

I've had this issue since the launch when I started playing I think. Usually I just "retry" to a server and force it to download all the mods I'm missing, but this takes ages. When I clear the workshop folder that's when the shit hits the fan, as I need to have a lot of mods installed to access certain servers, and it tries to download them all at once, which obviously doesn't work very well.

I'd like to hear a word on this from the devs.

“Thanks for the additional information Jason. I just tested on my home network and was able to reproduce it the issue using your settings”

“I was able to fix the issue by increasing the timeout on the connection to the Steam download site, but I don't think this is the solution. The server and the client use two totally different methods for downloading mods -- on the server we use cURL to download mods, but on the client we are just invoking a call to the Steam API which is handling all of it. So this timeout is only something I can adjust on the server download.”

“I suspect that when trying to download a bunch of mods simultaneously, the Steam server is causing some of them to timeout. This would explain why my previous tests of just downloading the combat mod had no problems. I will have to check with Valve to determine if this is an issue with their server, or if I need to limit how many mods we download simultaneously.”

This is a quote of an email from Max, pulled from this https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/uwe-server-ops/cznWHaDIm4Y

I think they tried to implement some kind of cap for downloads in the recent patches, no? Well, not working for me at least.

edited May 2013
    errorcode16.png

HBZ MOTDs and other shit... wtf I don't want that clogging up my computer, but looks like I don't have a choice?
  • TechnIckSTechnIckS Join Date: 2007-01-14 Member: 59616Members
    that's a stream error, not game related. see here:
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9851-PFHN-9932

generally, it's a network communication issue. try rebooting your machine, check your firewall, reboot router/modem, etc.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    also I noticed since last patch that steam does infact download mods when you are not ingame, if you just subscribed to it. :)
    Also steam had a lot of timeouts yesterday for me, so perhaps they had issues with there mod servers?
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    fuck this problem X(
  • JCDJCD Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    just subscribe yourself to the most common mods like shine dak and ns2stats.
    Steam will download it even if you are not ingame
  • BalmarkBalmark Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3476Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    The problem is .. you don't and won't go looking to download every mod on the off-chance you're going to need it to play on a server..

I'd a server with a load of custom maps on it .. I had to go back to vanilla ns2 because people just couldn't join easy .. it'd take about 3-4 attempts after failed mod downloads .. needless to say, if these were first time NS2 players .. this really doesnt look good.. anyhow there's a similar thread in the Server forum

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2135982#Comment_2135844
    The general idea should be .. client tries to get mods from workshop, if fails on first attempt it takes whatever the server has and stores in a sandbox (so server cant corrupt mods) .. after all the client is trying to get to this particular server and the server should be getting updates from the workshop on map changes ..
    I havent been able to play for a couple weeks due to the fact I cant download the damn maps or anything. Fuck workshop.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Subscribe to them they'll download, sucks but works.
    edited August 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Subscribe to them they'll download, sucks but works.

They dont. When I am in game my subscriptions fail to download regardless of whether I am connecting to a server or in the main menu... And apparently there isnt any other way to download that workshop content than in game.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    shonan, any mods you subscribe to should update before you join a server. If you go to the mods menu, hit get mods, select the mods you wan click subscribe, and then check the console you should see something like
    Queuing Download of <Modname>
    Mod '<modname>' installed

Basically pick the things you want, wait for them to install and then join a server and things should work out.
    Confused wrote: »
    shonan, any mods you subscribe to should update before you join a server. If you go to the mods menu, hit get mods, select the mods you wan click subscribe, and then check the console you should see something like
    Queuing Download of <Modname>
    Mod '<modname>' installed

Basically pick the things you want, wait for them to install and then join a server and things should work out.

Indeed, but I get this error when trying to download them...
    So, as mentioned before error 16 is a time out when connecting to steam to download the mod.

How many mods are you trying to update? Can you provide a log? Have you tried changing steam content servers? Is anything weird going on with your internet connection? Should i keep asking odd questions?
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I have heard some people say error 16 occurs intermittently if the (files in) mods are too big. Looking at other threads, it seems mods over 20 MB see the most problems.

If this is the case, and UW mods tend to get big, then there needs to be a separate mirror service to download the mods. I'd say the easiest thing to do would be to first try to download the mod via steam workshop. If that fails, then download from the server directly (the server could optionally disable this if desired).
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Why is ns2 trying to load all mods at the same time? Just wanted to clean up my workshop folder ... .
    The problem has been solved for me, by doing nothing :P