Define: "Rookie Friendly"

CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
edited March 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Well? What's it mean?

This is from an old post on a quick search from when the server option was first implemented. No real definition given which is why I'm asking the community at large to define it conclusively.
Flayra wrote: »
Quick docs here
There is the new "rookie mode" system in Build 220.

Servers indicate if they are "rookie friendly" or not by setting the tag "rookie friendly":

ServerConfig.json
{
"settings":
{
"rookie_friendly": true,
"auto_team_balance": true,
"unbalance_count": 2
},
"tags": [ "rookie" ]
}

Servers that are set as "rookie friendly" should show up as such in the server browser:
All players are marked as "rookies" until they have logged 4 hours of play. During this time, their communication (chat, voice icon) are displayed in green and they are indicated to others as a new player. Other players are told to help rookies via a loading screen hint.
Players can disable display of themselves as "rookies" by turning it off in the options
After 4 hours, you are automatically set to not being a rookie. Even if you turn it back on, it will turn off every 30 seconds of play.
This is a social convention, nothing is enforced. I'm hoping this is enough to let players get games with others that aren't way above their skill level, allowing them to get some kills and some guidance while they are learning. There could still be poachers, but hopefully there will be less then without rookie mode.
I've bolded and underlined the closest thing to a definition in there, but I think we can/should elaborate.

The main reason I'm asking is because the communities on some of the so-called "Rookie friendly" servers is hardly what I would deem friendly to people who have either just bought the game or are trying it out (on a free weekend).

So have at it. What is a "Rookie Friendly" server supposed to look like?

Comments

• FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    Rookie Mode should last more than 4 hours.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Just to signify not going postal on a new player who makes common mistakes or who does not understand the mechanics completely. Oh and to try to create a welcoming environment by answering their questions correcting mistakes as well as not stomping the rookie team with stacked vets. Of course like he said it is not enforced but the spirit of rookie mode is to try to do all this.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I probably should have clarified I was referring to the server tag/option that designates it as a "Rookie Friendly" server, as opposed to the "rookie mode"/Greenification of rookies.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Rookie friendly just means that people who know the game shouldn't cry when newbies are playing.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    I'm afraid the cause is in the players joining, not knowing what the green servers 'mean'. As in, they don't know it's a "rookie friendly" server. Or just don't care.
    My concept of what a server that is friendly to rookies should look like is as follows:

- Veterans being as helpful as possible, even if the rookies don't respond as much as you'd like.
    - On that note give tips to the other team if you notice they're not doing so hot.
    - Creating as positive an atmosphere as possible. Even when you're down to one hive and no upgrades with a rookie comm.
    - Never stacking teams.
    - Ideally not having people that can go 30-2 in a round. This is simply not comprehendable to rookies. They start thinking that the game is not worth playing because of all the hackers around.

I'm not saying that rookie friendly servers should coddle the newbies. Loosing is part of the game and in the end, one side will always lose. But when you learn to swim do you just jump right into the deep end? The best learning environment is one where the opponents are either on your level or just slightly above it.

Nor am I saying that only rookies should be allowed to play on rookie servers. That's madness. A blind man leading a group of blind people is going lead the whole group in circles or over a cliff. But tossing a rookie into a game with stacked veterans on one side having a grand old time being invincible is not friendly in any universe.

So I'd urge server owners who know that they have veteran regulars that like to play together (stack teams) to switch off the "rookie friendly" tag.
  • draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    Question, does quickjoin ever drop you in a rookie friendly?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Angelusz wrote: »
    I'm afraid the cause is in the players joining, not knowing what the green servers 'mean'. As in, they don't know it's a "rookie friendly" server. Or just don't care.
    Pretty much. The color of the server in the browser isn't really explained anywhere in-game, so even some veteran players don't know the difference between green, white, and yellow servers. I personally am a fan of restricting rookie servers only to rookies to prevent newbie pubstomps. However, I'd think you'd need to expand the rookie time to something like 30+ in-game hours to compensate.
    draktok wrote: »
    Question, does quickjoin ever drop you in a rookie friendly?
    I just did a quick test and out of around 10-15 quickjoins it put me in one rookie friendly server (which was a listen server oddly enough) and one modded server (crosshairs), the rest were UWE Officials and one Clan Server.

So from that it seems like its absolutely random. But someone who knows better can probably answer better.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I was playing sewlek's 'ns2 bt' mod the other day when some new players joined, one guy had joined that through quick join and it's not even the same game (ie game is "ns2 bt" not "ns2")!
  • HypergripHypergrip Suspect Germany Join Date: 2002-11-23 Member: 9689Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    "Rookie Friendly" in the server name is a social rather than technical aspect.
    On servers marked as "rookie friendly" one can/should expect:
    - Rookie players (duh)
    - Veteran players trying to help new players
    - A general focus more on "playing" the game than "winning" the game

There is no technical way to enforce these things, and sadly quite a lot of servers are marked as rookie friendly simply because the admin thinks it will get more players this way.
    On the upside however there are quite a couple of servers out there that have very active admins that will deal with unfriendly players.

The tag "rookie friendly" might help you find a suitable server in the beginning, but in the end you'll simply have to play on a couple of servers and find those you had the most fun on. Think of it as test driving new cars.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Just to signify not going postal on a new player who makes common mistakes or who does not understand the mechanics completely. Oh and to try to create a welcoming environment by answering their questions correcting mistakes as well as not stomping the rookie team with stacked vets. Of course like he said it is not enforced but the spirit of rookie mode is to try to do all this.

Nailed it.

We had a +10 page long thread a while ago about whether or not it's okay to play on rookie servers and go 50/5 or whatever. And the end result was pretty much no, there's really no excuse. Most anywhere you are, there will be normal servers to choose from. Some argued that it's okay to stomp newbs because it's just rookie friendly, not a rookie server. But as Charlie described it, rookie friendly does also include a certain level of skill.

I'm also interested to know how many beginners figure their way to a rookie friendly server?
    I'm also interested to know how many beginners figure their way to a rookie friendly server?
    I know when I started after ignoring the tutorial videos (I just bought this game, I'm not about to watch 1500 hours of video, I'm going to play it!) I opened up the server list and saw this nice friendly green thing that said (Rookie Friendly) and decided that was the place for me. Much later on I tried out a normal server, found that people were douchebags and went straight back to my rookie refuge.

I have noticed however, that a lot of people over the weekend were flocking to the UWE Official servers even though they were white. I suppose the lure of "official" instead of some other organization owned server was too great.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I always see newbie friendly as 'help the newbs'.
    So tell them what they do wrong when you stomp them. (and if they do it right you maaaay want to let them win every now and then. like if they properly skulk, I tend to let myself die a little more so they realise its the right way to skulk. :)
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think rookie friendly was supposed to mean that rookies could play there without fear of getting banned. Unfortunately in ns2 it seems to have been flipped on it's head and now it means rookies only and if you do better than average you're risking bans/hackusations. Also, if you do anything other than phase gate/celery first, expect everyone to yell at you and call you bad/kick you out of the chair.
  • PremonitionPremonition Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177620Members
    Rookie friendly server to be should ideally be tolerant and helpful to rookies, and attempt to proactively create a game environment that caters to a positive game experience to rookies.

So what does that entail exactly?

-Never getting publicly frustrated at a player for any reason
    -Answering questions/giving advice if the opportunity presents itself
    -Attempting to keep skill level of teams as close to each as possible (sometimes this may involve biting the bullet and commanding so you don't throw off the balance massively)

There have been plenty of times this weekend where I wanted to tear my hairout while playing. Walker fades, ground skulks/lerks, fast drop robos, marines who couldnt hit a stationary gorge, you name it. If you ever in one of these scenarios, and can't keep your composure, just disconnect and find another server.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited March 2013
    I think rookie friendly was supposed to mean that rookies could play there without fear of getting banned. Unfortunately in ns2 it seems to have been flipped on it's head and now it means rookies only and if you do better than average you're risking bans/hackusations. Also, if you do anything other than phase gate/celery first, expect everyone to yell at you and call you bad/kick you out of the chair.
    That hasn't been my experience. I think as long as you're willing to help people out with their questions they don't get frustrated that you're outplaying them. It's just a matter of being cheerful, friendly and polite right out of the gate and being good at deflecting bad tempers.

A little bit of pregame banter and some friendly tips before the round starts can do wonders, really.
  • The_JanitorThe_Janitor Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184320Members
    edited March 2013
    Have them (Force them to?) actually watch some tutorial videos before jumping into the command chair. Then I'd be a happy man.
  • imlostimlost Join Date: 2005-02-04 Member: 39725Members
    edited March 2013
    From what I've seen this weekend is that "rookie servers" means:

Skilled (Veterans) players please join marines every round and slaughter the aliens.

Most "rookies" can point and shoot a gun and since skulks are so slow its no prob for them to pick up. Now when a rookie joins aliens welp you just hope marines are actually rookies and not just some veteran getting off by slaughtering a bunch of noobs. (which seemed to be the case about 6 out of 10 games)
    Have them (Force them to?) actually watch some tutorial videos before jumping into the command chair. Then I'd be a happy man.
    I know for sure that if a game refused to let me do something until I sat down and watched a video that may or may not be out of date, I wouldn't be very happy. Now maybe if it refused to let someone with the rookie tags command and rookie tags lasted a little longer, that might be acceptable. But then you'd get the problems where a server full of rookies gets no game started and they all leave. I think the way its set up now is a necessary evil. Just bite the bullet and jump in next game.
    This certainly hasn't been my experience (mind you I'm not the greatest player, but the comming thing too). Over the weekend after I'd played a few games and the server got to know me a little, we tried a gorge rush for the heck of it. I hopped in the chair and said "You guys want to do something fun?" It failed miserably but it was still hilarious. Another time we tried an Arc Rush and had a grand time. Rookies are there for the fun, if you come off as a fun player, they won't mind you much. Problem is that no matter how good your attitude, if you're going 30-0, half the server population is going to be discontent. That's not ideal for NS2 as a whole, nor for the newbies playing.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    Rookie servers refer to the meaning of new players die by the hundreds to veteran players who can finally call themselves good at NS2.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    unfortunately,my favorites list is predominantly green, except for old fogies and penny arcade. and the green servers tend to have less reserved slot foolishness.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    Rookie friendly should mean it's a place to learn and teach the game. Oh and, I think rookie mode should last for 60 hours, not 4.
  • GrizeenGrizeen Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184036Members
    rookie servers should only allow ppl under a certain amount of hours to join... like 3 hrs.
  • StiliStili Join Date: 2008-03-21 Member: 63924Members
    To the main poster, I've noticed this too...
    When I go to rookie servers to help rookies there's some veterans that go on and just completely stomp rookie teams and coms...
    I think its really unjust and unfair, not much you can do though at the moment.
  • jorgamunjorgamun Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183703Members
    Rookie friendly doesn't mean rookie only.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    jorgamun wrote: »
    Its not but I think it should be.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2013
    ScardyBob wrote: »

If you are going to be keeping experienced players out of rookie servers then there must be a way to keep rookies out of experienced player servers (assuming there is one at some point). I'm not sure its fair otherwise.

And a side note if you make rookie servers 100% rookie that does them injustice because it prevents them from getting a comm who knows what they are doing. Having the blind lead the blind i'm not sure is the best way to make rookies feel at home.

• current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2013
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Rookie mode would need a few changes if that happened.
    1) You wouldn't be able to toggle it on/off, so as to prevent lamers from tagging themselves as rookie over and over again just to stomp true rookies.
    2) It'd have to last for far longer than 4 hours.
    3) As a rookie, you're not allowed on non-rookie servers.