Can shoot, can pickup weapons. Cannot buy anything, cannot f4, ect.

bandorbandor Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183534Members
edited March 2013 in Technical Support
As a marine in a game. I found I could not buy anything. With 100 res it just beeps at me when i try to buy anything at all. mines, exo suits, shotguns, ect. i can pickup anything off the ground and use it. I tried changing teams, it would not let me do that even. I'm using phase gate just fine. I alt tabbed to type this up, when I went back after the game was over, all I get is a black screen now.

edit: I could hear voicechat and see commander chat. I could not chat or see anyone elses chat. I would type in chat and press enter, it would immediately close and nothing would show up.

Comments

• MinimumMinimum Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176382Members
    I'm getting this problem from time to time also. It happened on both the alien and human teams. I couldn't evolve or buy weapons. Other people were complaining of this as well while some people had working GUIs. So far this has happened in 2 different unmodded servers, both times with other players experiencing it as well. Very strange.

One thing to note is that in the console it was complaining about memory leaks in "ClientWorld". I'm not sure if this error message is related but it's a start.
  • bandorbandor Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183534Members
    So I totally uninstalled, reinstalled game. I got 3 games in and now this is happening again. Unmodded server, I have no mods running. Really ruins the game.
  • SynVisionsSynVisions Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166607Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    This is the same thing I was reporting here: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/128586/bug-unable-to-evolve-in-online-games

edit: I thought going full screen fixed it but it was a red herring.
  • JeffeyJeffey Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159508Members
    SynVisions wrote: »
    This is the same thing I was reporting here: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/128586/bug-unable-to-evolve-in-online-games

I fixed it by switching to full screen (non windowed). If you're running in a window that might be the fix for you too.

I wasn't getting this yesterday or the day before, but I'm now getting it. I'm playing in full screen windowed and got it, so I switched to fullscreen, yet that apparently doesn't work. :l

• JeffeyJeffey Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159508Members
    Also, if you try playing commander you can't drop buildings, socket power nodes, or log out of the command chair.
  • FaustFaust Join Date: 2004-11-18 Member: 32852Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I actually started getting reports of this stuff happening specifically on a server I help run. I investigated further and found out these issues can happen on multiple servers (I saw this firsthand), yet on others it doesn't. It seems to occur randomly, and ultimately might be a client issue (at first I thought it was server-specific).
  • WillzZzWillzZz Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182667Members
    edited March 2013
    Just ran in to this. Frustrating. Couldn't voice chat, couldn't talk, coudn't ask for ammo, etc. I tried to "retry" which did nothing and then "disconnect" which did nothing, then "quit" which froze NS2 and made me End Process.

edit: twice in a row. Restarted Ns2, joined another server and everything worked fine (first clue is my j1/j2 buttons do not work). disconnected, joined the previous server and same bug. It's on the same map, I'll test again when the map changes in a few minutes. Nothing stood out in the console really, as far as errors are concerned. A few load errors but that seems usual.

Oh, and I'm full screen. Tried switching modes in-game, to no avail. I don't get any 'ClientWorld' errors. Just a couple of shaders that couldn't load or something. Map changed and same issues. Tried another server which seems to work fine. No mods on the server, I think.
  • Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members
    are you guys sure it's not because the commander hasnt gone through the proper upgrades to make those things available to buy ?
  • MinimumMinimum Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176382Members
    Rich_ wrote: »
    are you guys sure it's not because the commander hasnt gone through the proper upgrades to make those things available to buy ?

Yep. I had 100 res. Other teammates had shotguns, jetpacks, and exos. I couldn't buy any of those even if I tried.

Switching from Windowed Fullscreen to Fullscreen seems to have fixed it. Though after I alt-tabbed out and came back I had the problem again. I ended up restarting the game to fix it.
  • StarettaStaretta Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183588Members
    edited March 2013
    My friends and I have this problem as well.
    Rich_ wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure this isn't the case. It isn't just upgrades, trying to go to the ready room doesn't work, typing to team or to all players doesn't work. Some servers seem to work, and then there are some servers that don't work.
  • WillzZzWillzZz Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182667Members
    It's a problem with a ton of things. No console commands will work. buying doesn't work. q/z wont' call for health/ammo, chat doesn't work, voicechat doesn't work and probably some other things as well. I didn't try my x menu, for example. I'm sure that doesn't work either.
  • azimirazimir Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183602Members
    I ran into this last night, but was hoping for some kind of recognition (and maybe a fix!) soon. This bug makes the game unplayable after the first few minutes of the game. I got to go a whole round as an unupgraded skulk. Not fun when the big guns come out.

Until they fix this, I'm off to TF2 I guess.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2013
    Okay everyone experiencing this:

I need reproduction steps and information.
    Since I cannot reproduce this issue myself.

Specifically, I need you to try on Official UWE servers, and then on varying modded servers.

When you come back to report your results i need your DXDIAG and APPDATA ns2 folder. Instructions:

How to attach or post a DXDIAG information log file, this provides UWE with your system specs, driver and OS info:
    Click on your Windows Desktop Start menu.
    In winXP you want to find "RUN", in Vista/7 you want the search bar at the bottom of the menu.
    Type in DXDIAG and hit Enter
    A window pops up, Either a Diagnostic will auto run or you need to click on a button: Run DxDiag now ~something similar to that.
    When the progress bar is done, Click on the "Save All Information" button, you can post it into a website such as http://www.pastebin.com and post the link here on the forums.

To get to the NS2 APPDATA folder, press windows key + R, fill in "%appdata%", hit enter. Right click your "Natural Selection 2" folder and then "send to" "compressed file (zip)"
    And then host that file somewhere convenient on the internet, with a link to it here.
    Alternatively you can email me this file if you cant find a place: ironhorse@unknownworlds.com

Input handling has been changed lately and we've had some prior bugs with the chat system internally but nothing like this.. I'm wondering if a mod is messing with things, either clientside or server side.

For the advanced users willing to diagnose things/jump ahead:
    Delete your workshop folder in appdata after unsubscribing from all mods in the ingame menu, to rule out clientside mods completely, then join an official UWE server.
    Only then if still occurring, disable steam cloud and then delete this file:
    Drive:\Program Files\Steam\userdata\YourUserIDNumber\4920\remote\options.xml
    Don't change any settings once you start NS2
    Now try an official server and see if still occurring.

Thanks for your patience and effort.
  • FaustFaust Join Date: 2004-11-18 Member: 32852Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    So I popped off an email to Ironhorse, with the files they need. I'm going to copy most of the text from that email to here for collaboration purposes.

As you also requested, I attempted to reproduce the bug on roughly 12-15 different servers. 4-5 of those servers were official UWE servers. I did not encounter any of the bugs mentioned in the linked thread above on the UWE servers. Out of all the servers I tested recently, I encountered the bug on 4 servers. Specifically, after 5 seconds in the ready room after joining, I could no longer chat via text or use my console binds to directly join marines or aliens, or directly join the ready room if on a team. The 4 servers are:

- OldF.net Geriatric Ward. I'm a server admin on this server. The only mod it's running is DAK. Our host is NFO.

- Ragecagegaming.com LA ns2stats. It was a yellow server. It looks like it's running NS2stats, possibly other mods.

- up in smoke UIS. White server, no apparent mods (no automatically generated text in chat).

- the NCO's barracks west coast low ping. White server, no apparent mods (no automatically generated text in chat).

Regarding the OldF server: we started getting complaints of these bugs the day after gorgeous got released. I disabled DAK (removed loading line from server.lua, restarted server), but the bugs persisted. We scheduled a wipe/restore from NFO at midnight. The next day, a user mentioned that the bugs persisted after the wipe/restore. I checked and encountered the bugs again. At this time we did not have our full configs running or DAK installed. Our server name seemed to be the only change from a default server. People were still encountering these bugs later in the day, with DAK still not installed. There doesn't seem to be any changes whether DAK is installed or not.

I went back to check your forum post and noticed you edited in the info about deleted workshop files. I did what you directed (which significantly decreased the ns2 appdata folder). I went back and tested on some UWE official servers. Still no bugs encountered there. I went back and played a bit on servers I listed for bug encounters. I then noticed that chatting via text works, up until I used console binds to join a team or ready room, or if I simply clicked on the ready room option in the menu once I was on a team (I'll note that attempting to use a command to directly go to a team or readyroom, whether by a bind or via the menu doesn't work). After that I couldn't chat via text.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2013
    Thank you!
    Can others please confirm that these steps reproduce the problem for you as well?

@Faust: can you try deleting your options.xml as i suggested above and try the exact same steps over again?
    Thanks again man!
    So, I think I've narrowed down what initiates these series of bugs, as they all seem related. When on the 4 servers I listed, it comes down to using binds that directly place the player on marines or aliens from ready room, or a bind that places the player back into the readyroom from a team (or by clicking ready room in the menu when on a team). Once I did this, I got "bugged out" and could not type via text, evolve lifeforms, pick up weapons as marines or buy stuff from the armory or prototype lab. Additionally I couldn't log out of the hive when in a "bugged" state.

In order to avoid this bugged state, DO NOT JOIN TEAMS/READYROOM DIRECTLY OR CLICK READYROOM BUTTON IN MENU WHEN ON A TEAM.

Ironhorse, I deleted the options.xml file you mentioned and retested. The only change I noticed is on a couple of the bug-inducing servers, I would get in a bugged state soon after joining, without using binds to go directly to a team. However, when on the OldF server, I would not get in a bugged state until I tried to directly go to the ready room or a team.
  • Flash8798Flash8798 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182814Members
    edited March 2013
    Note: From some of my inference regarding Faust's detailed and helpful description of this bug, it may seem that the server thinks the client is still within the Ready Room in some capacity, such as being unable to taunt being a shared trait between being in the ready room and the bug described, but that the user interface is still able to be interacted with, just not perform any results. This is simply input and may or may not be correct, however.
  • BigDBigD [OldF] Join Date: 2002-10-25 Member: 1596Members
    I've emailed you info ironhorse.
    edited March 2013
    Reproduction steps... join a server (such as the oldF Geriatric Ward, gw.oldf.net) play for a while (yes, I'm a lame playtester). No rhyme or reason that I can see. I do get the impression that people who have absolute defaults are better off (but that's circumstantial).

Edit: Just joined gw.oldf.net, typed test 3 times in chat, did a bite, hit tab to see scoreboard, and typed "test" again and the text didn't show up. Bugged within two minutes.
    Quit, rejoined, did those same steps again, no problems, ran around some more typing test every few seconds, no problem, tried all my different keys I'd hit in game, no problem. Played properly for a bit, went onos, died, took over comm (who had locked up due to bug and couldn't comm anymore) comm'd for a bit, 10 seconds before last hive died I locked up (about 10 minutes without issue that time).

To reiterate state of this server, it was wiped, fresh install last night. Played most of the day in bone stock form (AFAIK). Problem didn't go away so DAK is re-enabled now.
  • CLARK_KENTCLARK_KENT Vancouver, Canada Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9508Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Flash8798 wrote: »
    Note: From some of my inference regarding Faust's detailed and helpful description of this bug, it may seem that the server thinks the client is still within the Ready Room in some capacity, such as being unable to taunt being a shared trait between being in the ready room and the bug described, but that the user interface is still able to be interacted with, just not perform any results. This is simply input and may or may not be correct, however.

I think Flash might be on to something. I was on a server today, and although I can't fully remember what happened, I remember seeing the words Ready Room when I actually wasn't in the Ready Room. I remember thinking...hmm...strange...but thought nothing really of it. I can't give more info because I wasn't fully paying attention, and something was wonky with my game, so I just force quit.
  • bigsexy420bigsexy420 Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183616Members
    edited March 2013
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/128586/bug-unable-to-evolve-in-online-games

I posted my reply in this other thread Sry didn't realize there was a discussion going on here. I was in the game with BigD that he mentions just above (Papa Smurf), and was having all the same problems. I exited out of the game completely and when I logged back in nothing worked for me from the moment I join a team (not using keybinds).

P.S. You guys run an awesome server over there at oldf keep up the good work :D
  • CLARK_KENTCLARK_KENT Vancouver, Canada Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9508Members, Reinforced - Silver
    edited March 2013
    IronHorse, I followed your "jump ahead" reset procedures, including deleting all mods, disabling steam cloud, and deleting options.xml. No other changes.

On an official UWE server (although, since it's late at night, all I've connected to are UWE Australia and Europe servers), I have no issues whatsoever.

On OldF and UBERGaming servers, I experience this issue (i.e. Cannot type chat, nor can I buy weapons, etc.).

Also, on these servers, my latencies start to increase significantly (into 400+, when I would normally be under 90) in about a minute or two of joining a server. Using a network protocol analyzer, I see that I am sending a lot of UDP packets to the server I'm connected to (at a rate of about 0.13 mbps). Browsing the game server will result in almost all servers, including local ones, showing latencies of 300+ (in short, they're all red).

As soon as I disconnect from these "problematic" servers, latency reports on the game browser shows back to normal... and every time I jump on an official UWE server, everything is back to normal.

I simply jumped from server to server... for example, UBER to UWE to UBER to OldF to UWE to OldF, etc. This was all on one session of start/end NS2 (i.e. I did not exit the game when I experienced issues, but rather, just disconnected from the game servers).

And to add, I joined marines side every time, and I did it by walking through the Marine "door"/portal.

DXDiag:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqf8l6aixwbdq37/DxDiag.txt?m

AppData:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/muutche0yc66yn6/NS2_AppData.zip?m
    Thanks everyone! (Got your email big d)
    This may be related to the snap shot error servers are seeing.

Max is on the case!
    edited March 2013
    I've done some more testing. I again disabled DAK on the OldF server and tested for this bug (DAK is the only mod we run). There didn't seem to be any changes. I have however noticed a new criteria for getting in a bugged state: entering text in chat that's three characters or less. Every single time I did this, I would get in a bugged state. This happened on all bug-inducing servers I tested it on.
  • bandorbandor Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183534Members
    can't reproduce on demand....was ingame as com, popped out to defend, died, another guy popped in to build infantry portal, I spawned, he left com, I jumped in - and now i'm bugged. I did not use any text chat between leaving com and rejoining. i can't make the bug happen when I want. Its just random.
    edited March 2013
    I can reproduce every time... on the oldf server. Type LESS THAN 4 characters in text, will do it every time. It DOES NOT happen at all on the UWE official server I tried it on. Going to try more servers.

Edit: So, yeah, found a couple servers (NCO and something else) that this was reproducible on. A couple of other servers it wasn't happening so those might not be bugged.

More information (again, centered around testing on the OldF server):
    In trying to reconnect to the server via "retry" in console, or disconnecting, my "player" is still in the server and I can't reconnect (stuck on attempting connection). Via web admin console, I kick "myself" and I get in no problem after that. This does not happen if I don't bug my text chat.

Possible secondary bug: Another thing in doing all this, might not be related but mentioning while I'm here, is after re-connecting (whether bugged or not) but I load up a black screen and I can't type or anything (at least it isn't in my console). This is fixed by reconnecting to server one more time.
  • LoganaterLoganater Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183651Members
    Yeah, I'm having the same error. Exact thing everyone else says, I got it on the NCO server. (not sure which, hopefully there's only one)

I couldn't evolve, I couldn't type (I could press Y and type things in, but once sending a message nothing showed up), I couldn't open the steam tab and disconnecting was acting weird as I had to click it multiple times. I also couldn't F4 back into the waiting room and it seemed as though the console was not working.

Just going to leave the details of what was happening, sorry for no system specs or anything, too lazy.
    edited March 2013
    So good news! Short messages via web admin console do not break things as far as I can tell... :O :-?
    Faust wrote: »
    new criteria for getting in a bugged state: entering text in chat that's three characters or less.

My tests above -- I can confirm I was entering 1 letter texts.

Anyone else experiencing my latency issues also?

• McRiot_OldFMcRiot_OldF Join Date: 2013-02-17 Member: 183130Members
    edited March 2013
    Reproducing the bug seems to be different each time for me. On entering the OldF server binds didn't work, so I joined a team, immediately couldn't buy from the armory. Same thing happened on aliens, bind didn't work so I joined aliens and could not evolve. Today I joined the server when it was empty, walked into the alien portal, typed random stuff in chat for a bit (length didn't seem to matter but this was before the game started) after awhile typing stopped working so I jumped in the hive, sure enough I could not "Logout" had to "retry" from console. After rejoining the server I spent some time trying to repeat the bug, nothing happened, eventually the server filled up and I managed to comm an entire game without incident, even jumped in and out of the chair a few times. I continued to type but nothing bug'd. More often then not I do get the bug on our server so I've played on a few other servers that have worked for me just fine.

DXDiag: http://www.2shared.com/document/y7WQjr8r/DxDiag.html

AppData: http://www.2shared.com/file/qy_FWGPl/ns2appdata.html

I have also had latency problems.

Side note: I deleted NS2 and re-installed it after the patch. For some reason I had no background on load up (just a grid with menu options). The re-install seemed to fix that part. The re-install did not fix the big bug going around.

Deleted the workshop folder and joined a UWE server, everything seemed to work fine. Joined the OldF server shortly after and yet again enjoyed the full bug experience. I then deleted the files : ConsistencyConfig.json, ConsoleBindings.json, FavoriteServers.json. rejoined the OldF server, walked through the alien door and was able to evolve to gorge. Still testing to see if that really fixed anything or if I'm just getting lucky.

update:
    Alright, this did not work for me after all. After typing "lol" in chat the game breaks, I bug out and my ping jumps to 999

the typing in chat less than 4 characters seems to be the most constant way of breaking the game.