Allow server owners to disable vote concede.

SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members

Comments

• CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Or at least set some parameters for it.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    Title says it all.

Only if they can also disable f4 and recycling.

Concede works for both sides, whilst I think it still needs some work its better than relying on f4 (autobalance) and base recycling (which only works for 1 side)
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    hakenspit wrote: »
    Title says it all.

Concede works for both sides, whilst I think it still needs some work its better than relying on f4 (autobalance) and base recycling (which only works for 1 side)

The point is not give the teams an option to give up and make them actually finish a game.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    No.

If 75% of the team wants to give up and restart, let them.

Assuming a 20 man server why should 7/20 (7/10 in a team) be bored out of their mind being destroyed relentlessly as soon as they leave the base?

Perhaps the other 13 people want to continue and finish it to the last command chair / hive but should 7 people suffer that? That's the idea of the threshold level for conceding.

You say they should disable f4 and recycling but I guess they could also just disconnect.

No one wants to lose and you shouldn't force people to be taunted when losing. My friends and I happily spawn camp aliens and marines to force them to concede in an act of humiliation. They can end the game by conceding but if they lost that right, the game would go on indefinitely and boost my KDR.

It's admirable that some people fight on for last stands but also understandable that people concede.

I believe it's wrong to take away people's right to give up instead of being butthurt but I suppose if you want to have a server without a concede vote, there should be a command for it.

So basically I don't believe what you're doing is right, but I suppose it's an option to have instead of a permanent change.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    nachos wrote: »
    No.

Assuming a 20 man server why should 7/20 (7/10 in a team) be bored out of their mind being destroyed relentlessly as soon as they leave the base?

Perhaps the other 13 people want to continue and finish it to the last command chair / hive but should 7 people suffer that? That's the idea of the threshold level for conceding.

You say they should disable f4 and recycling but I guess they could also just disconnect.

No one wants to lose and you shouldn't force people to be taunted when losing. My friends and I happily spawn camp aliens and marines to force them to concede in an act of humiliation. They can end the game by conceding but if they lost that right, the game would go on indefinitely and boost my KDR.

It's admirable that some people fight on for last stands but also understandable that people concede.

I believe it's wrong to take away people's right to give up instead of being butthurt but I suppose if you want to have a server without a concede vote, there should be a command for it.

So basically I don't believe what you're doing is right, but I suppose it's an option to have instead of a permanent change.
    That 7/20 can find a server where concede is an option. Or else just go back to the f4/recycle option.

One use of an option like this is for rookie servers. I'm not a fan of concede on rookie servers at all. Rookies need practice, that's why they're there. Making it so they have to finish a game means they learn how to finish a game.

<off-topic>
    I was just in a turtle on Docking that didn't go on much longer than 10 minutes. The aliens were asking us to concede because they couldn't coordinate a decent final attack. That's a skill that needs to be learned IMO. Where better to learn it than a rookie server? I didn't tell my team "Don't concede" I said "If you don't want to draw this out, go ahead and concede, but since this is a rookie server and you're here to practice, practice." So we fought on. Sure in the end the arms lab went down and we got owned, but that's alright. The aliens learned how to kill a turtle (they went with mass whip lagfest) and we got some more aiming in with shotguns and rifles. Not to mention the fun of a turtle.

If an alien team is that much of a jerk to just constantly kill people that spawn, rather than ending the game when it is completely within their power, I wouldn't concede. I'd find a new server. I don't want to play with people with that attitude.
    </off-topic>

Anyhow, I still maintain that having this as an option is a good idea, opinions on concede don't really belong here, they belong here.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    I'm a server operator, and I don't need nor want this ability.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    hakenspit wrote: »
    Title says it all.

The point is not give the teams an option to give up and make them actually finish a game.

Then as I said disable F4 and recyling as they are both ways of conceding (atleast for marines).

You might want to also disable their ability to leave the server.

People have options to not play games, they can rage quit, f4, recycle or select the concede option.

You cant stop people not wanting to play a game anymore.

People used to just f4 and then we have the lovely autobalance issues...the concede option is better than that.

We can improve how concede functions though, with a couple of good suggestions being brought up by people within the community.
    The end game scenario seems to be the easiest to integrate.

Simply saying "lets remove all options for people to end a game" is naive and ignoring why concede was brought in to begin with.
    Calego wrote: »
    nachos wrote: »
    No.

That 7/20 can find a server where concede is an option. Or else just go back to the f4/recycle option.

One use of an option like this is for rookie servers. I'm not a fan of concede on rookie servers at all. Rookies need practice, that's why they're there. Making it so they have to finish a game means they learn how to finish a game.

<off-topic>
    I was just in a turtle on Docking that didn't go on much longer than 10 minutes. The aliens were asking us to concede because they couldn't coordinate a decent final attack. That's a skill that needs to be learned IMO. Where better to learn it than a rookie server? I didn't tell my team "Don't concede" I said "If you don't want to draw this out, go ahead and concede, but since this is a rookie server and you're here to practice, practice." So we fought on. Sure in the end the arms lab went down and we got owned, but that's alright. The aliens learned how to kill a turtle (they went with mass whip lagfest) and we got some more aiming in with shotguns and rifles. Not to mention the fun of a turtle.

If an alien team is that much of a jerk to just constantly kill people that spawn, rather than ending the game when it is completely within their power, I wouldn't concede. I'd find a new server. I don't want to play with people with that attitude.
    </off-topic>

Anyhow, I still maintain that having this as an option is a good idea, opinions on concede don't really belong here, they belong here.

If 75% of the team wants to give up then they can join another server that doesn't have it disabled.
    Mavick wrote: »

Having the ability to disable concede won't affect you or your server.
    Disagreeing with a post also doesn't mean you have to flag it for spam, but I returned the favor anyhow.

I'm clearly aware of what I do or do not need for my server, and I'd rather devs spend their time working on stuff that actually matters and does something for the game.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    edited February 2013
    How does this:

Produce this:
    If 75% of the team wants to give up then they can join another server that doesn't have it disabled.

The fact is, it doesn't. I'm sorry if people don't want to be your punching bag. When a game is lost, it is lost. No one is going to learn anything by getting forced to be facerolled. Best case scenario, you wind up killing a bunch of AFK people waiting out the end of the game. Worst case, you get the same result as a concede vote, and no one to roflstomp next round because they all quit the server.
    edited February 2013
    MMZ_Torak wrote: »
    How does this:

Produce this:

The fact is, it doesn't. I'm sorry if people don't want to be your punching bag. When a game is lost, it is lost. No one is going to learn anything by getting forced to be facerolled. Best case scenario, you wind up killing a bunch of AFK people waiting out the end of the game. Worst case, you get the same result as a concede vote, and no one to roflstomp next round because they all quit the server.

Conceding while you own two tech points isn't not wanting to be a punching bag. It's just being retarded.
    Disagreeing with a post also doesn't mean you have to flag it for spam, but I returned the favor anyhow.

I'm clearly aware of what I do or do not need for my server, and I'd rather devs spend their time working on stuff that actually matters and does something for the game.

Saying you wouldn't use it on something you wouldn't have to use and wouldn't be the default setting is spam. You think because you will never use it that you should limit the choices of others.
    How does this:

Produce this:

Conceding while you own two tech points isn't not wanting to be a punching bag. It's just being retarded.

Voting to concede while being forced to wait for Marines to research every possible upgrade while they camp outside your last techpoint; never entering it, isn't being retarded.

See? I can cherry pick outcomes that suit my case too!
    How does this:

Produce this:

Voting to concede while being forced to wait for Marines to research every possible upgrade while they camp outside your last techpoint; never entering it, isn't being retarded.

You could always... uhh... try to win.
    How does this:

Produce this:

You could always... uhh... try to win.

Tried that, that is how this hypothetical team has wound up cornered in their last techpoint. Marines won't finish it because "lol we dun all haf jetpacks yet lol".

Concede is fine the way it is.

Saying you wouldn't use it on something you wouldn't have to use and wouldn't be the default setting is spam. You think because you will never use it that you should limit the choices of others.

What' I'm actually saying is I'd rather the devs spend time working on stuff that's actually needed, not some option that no server operator worth his salt is going to disable anyway. If people didn't want to concede, they just.........wouldn't concede. Shocking how player controlled features work, isn't it.

What' I'm actually saying is I'd rather the devs spend time working on stuff that's actually needed, not some option that no server operator worth his salt is going to disable anyway. If people didn't want to concede, they just.........wouldn't concede. Shocking how player controlled features work, isn't it.

It's about making sure that losers who concede don't join your server. It's giving players MORE choice.
    Lol, have you sat back and ever looked at what you say? Ok, I'll give people more choices by having an option to turn off something that gives them a choice, that makes a ton of sense. And really? "losers who concede", who are you to make that judgement call against people who just don't feel like continuing a terrible game.
    Lol, have you sat back and ever looked at what you say? Ok, I'll give people more choices by having an option to turn off something that gives them a choice, that makes a ton of sense. And really? "losers who concede", who are you to make that judgement call against people who just don't feel like continuing a terrible game.
    So you're saying that players could no longer join a server with concede enabled if this option were put in?
    I don't get what you're asking me or why, actually. My point is pretty clear: NO, not needed, not worth the devs time "fixing" an option tons of people asked for and are more than happy with. I understand some people don't like concede and somehow feel cheated out of their teddy bears when they're smashing a team that concedes and all of a sudden they're not farming easy kills anymore. But more people don't give a shit about silly things like that, and that's just life.
    I don't get what you're asking me or why, actually. My point is pretty clear: NO, not needed, not worth the devs time "fixing" an option tons of people asked for and are more than happy with. I understand some people don't like concede and somehow feel cheated out of their teddy bears when they're smashing a team that concedes and all of a sudden they're not farming easy kills anymore. But more people don't give a shit about silly things like that, and that's just life.

What about fixing it for people who didn't ask for it? Or allowing us to set a parameter that says a team can't concede if they have more than one tech point.
    Because there's more pressing issues for a development team of 8 people, then something that I've seen maybe 10 people total on these forums bitch about.
    Because there's more pressing issues for a development team of 8 people, then something that I've seen maybe 10 people total on these forums bitch about.

There are certainly things YOU find more important.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    I think it's more about giving the winning team its win, rather than about what any one person wants

They do get their win.
  • dethovudethovu Join Date: 2009-06-23 Member: 67906Members
    Concede ruins countless games. There at least needs to be some settings for it.

Too many quitters. It's like an abort button for their egos.
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    edited February 2013
    As an additional server option. Nice.

Leave at it the very bottom of the priority list.

Also, there is nothing spammy about Mavericks first reply.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    dethovu wrote: »
    Concede ruins countless games. There at least needs to be some settings for it.

Too many quitters. It's like an abort button for their egos.

You sir, are absolutely correct.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    I'm amazed. You just can't force people to play.
    If you see a team breaking, try to cheer them up, organise a concerted rush, anything.

But getting them tied to a game they don't want to play anymore is a terrible concept.

I wouldn't want to play on a server that has no concede, not because I like to do so, but because team's motivation and morale is something you have to deal with.

Trying to force people to play in a synthetic way is a recoginition of your own failure at getting the team in the fight.