Establishing a Time Limit on activating the concede option

MathewRD1MathewRD1 Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182591Members
I refuse to play the game anymore. It's not fun at all. Maybe I've had the worst luck in servers, but it's every game now where we either kill one of their hives or command chairs, and the entire enemy team concedes.

It's not even fun anymore.
Games last 15 minutes at tops.

I understand the concede option is there for lengthy games (45 minutes or higher).
But why not set the button to be available at that time?
I cannot play the game otherwise. It's ultimately pointless. We barely even make it to the second or third upgrade before the game is over.

Comments

• Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2067985:date=Jan 28 2013, 11:55 AM:name=MathewRD1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MathewRD1 @ Jan 28 2013, 11:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067985"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Games last 15 minutes at tops.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Why do you think that's "short"? Sounds about right to me.

People concede because there is no reason to draw out the inevitable. A prolonged, pointless turtle is not fun if it's coming from a point of no return. Longer games are enjoyable when it's a long back and forth between fairly balanced teams. Some of my best memories are 2 hour pub grind fests, but those (and 45 minute matches) are anomalies as opposed to the norm.

If you're marines, control two tech points and 3 resource towers at 10 minutes and you lose your 2nd Comm Chair and can't immediately regain control of that base (or take another alien hive down within a minute), it's game over. Aliens control the map, the techs and can spam Onos eggs. Why draw that out?

Usually that kind of dominance by the opposing team is clear through the whole game. It becomes apparent to the players that not only are they losing, they're going to be continually outplayed by a stronger team.

On the flipside, if you have two tech points, are teched up considerably have a couple JPs or Exos on the field, then that two Hive turtle can be fun. I don't see people conceding there because they still have the tech to make a slow push and maybe change the tide.

The concede is there to offer a cleaner, quicker alternative to recycling, or F4'ing. Not to end longer games, but to end games past the point of no return. This game is very unforgiving and while it may be frustrating to see "oh we voted to concede, we only lost one tech point" it may because the rest of your team is grasping the meta with a bit more clarity. Start viewing Concede-losses as any other loss and move on.
  • semihandysemihandy Florida Join Date: 2012-05-24 Member: 152537Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Silver
    Games that last over 30 minutes are boring, overextended, and exhausting. Why force them to take that long when you know 10 minutes into the game that it's a loss? Specially as marines, since losing the first few engagements basically defines the result for the game.
  • DoppyDoppy Join Date: 2006-11-15 Member: 58624Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    When the team is clearly dominating you and there's NO way of coming back, there's no point in just sitting there and waiting for the inevitable loss.

Here's why...

a) It's boring.
    b) It's degrading. When the Marines have level 3 upgrades and you just lost your Carapace upgrade, it sucks to get one-shot.
    c) People will rage quit. If you're sitting there getting beat on for the next 5-10 minutes people will get annoyed/upset and leave. (Side note: If people do rage-quit, the game could potentially take even longer with the auto-balance feature of not allowing you to respawn).
    d) The time spent waiting to lose can be spent playing another match.
    e) It's simply not fun.
  • MathewRD1MathewRD1 Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182591Members
    I understand there's a point where it's needed. If two teams are at an absolute stalemate, and the game has gone on for 30+ minutes, yeah, it's fine. But half that time, that's what I'd play a game like CoD for. Quick rounds that constantly ended and reset. Natural Selection 2 is about strategy, and that takes time to develop.

And I wouldn't mind if it were used in the sense of "There's no hope." But the problem is that too many people are willing to say it's pointless after way too early in the game. They'd lose an upgrade and immediately concede. They'd lose a phase gate and concede.

If people are getting stomped, they need to tough it out and let it happen. Otherwise, nothing was gained from the experience. Yeah, it's a video game, not much is going to be gained regardless. But I don't have ANY feeling of accomplishment when we haven't touched their main base and suddenly, we win. There's no reward, no feeling of success. It's not winning, it's just having the other team quit.
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    MathewRD1 wrote: »
    I understand there's a point where it's needed. If two teams are at an absolute stalemate, and the game has gone on for 30+ minutes, yeah, it's fine. But half that time, that's what I'd play a game like CoD for. Quick rounds that constantly ended and reset. Natural Selection 2 is about strategy, and that takes time to develop.

Again, I'm going to point out to you... 30 minute stalemates aren't why the vote concede option exists. It exists to end games at the 13 minute mark that would have dragged onto the 19 minute mark before ending to the clearly dominate team, due to a Marine or Alien turtle.
    They'd lose an upgrade and immediately concede.
    That is ridiculous. I won't argue that.
    They'd lose a phase gate and concede.
    That's more reasonable. If your only hope lies on establishing a Phase Gate in Cross roads, you control no other tech point from Sub and Fades are hitting the field, sometimes a lost phase gate position is the game. I don't mean to reference comp play to pub play, but it's a valid comparison and often a forward phase is a team last hope.
    If people are getting stomped, they need to tough it out and let it happen. Otherwise, nothing was gained from the experience. Yeah, it's a video game, not much is going to be gained regardless. But I don't have ANY feeling of accomplishment when we haven't touched their main base and suddenly, we win. There's no reward, no feeling of success. It's not winning, it's just having the other team quit.
    It's winning. If you so thoroughly dominated them, they don't want to sit in their base and get smacked around pointlessly for 5 minutes... I can't imagine a more thorough "win" scenario. Sure, you may have fun setting up to siege their hive, shoot it down, go in and destroy life forms... but if they're thoroughly dominated enough to know they aren't going to win that... it's going to be a pointless, time wasting march because it's inevitable. Why not skip the inevitable, get right back to a new game and maybe reset the field for a more balanced match, or a new outcome?

Sometimes people just get beat. This game allows people to end the beating and move onto to a fresh round. I'm sorry you feel as if people are doing it too quickly, but I also feel you aren't grasping the full meta game to the extent some of the other people are. The novelty of turtling a hive or tech point wears very thin as that isn't the point of the game. Concede is a good way around that.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    at some point in time, there will always be some people that think the game is over and want to end it and some don't (from both sides!). You can't please everybody unfortunately
  • Arkahm719Arkahm719 Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151988Members
    I actually agree with Omar but at the same time when I thought we were down and out the opposing team made a mistake and allowed us to come back and take the game so I tend to hate the concede option but I understand why its there. but i hate when the team is moving in for the kill to end the match they concede, it feels like im not finishing a game and thats my only problem with the new function
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited January 2013
    I think some people don't quite understand where the point of no return is. It doesn't really happen for either team until they are down to one base with no immediate way to get a second. A marine team on 3 res and 2 bases CAN win right up until the onos come crashing through and destroy that second base. Same for an alien team on 2 base, all they need is a successful Onos push or backdoor bile. Certainly the odds of pulling it off might be exceptionally low, but pulling it off is the absolute best game you can have.

Also, if you are just getting rolled there's really no reason to concede. Conceding should be more to prevent the longer turtles, especially the 30+ minute marine turtles from which they have no hope of coming back short of external circumstances (people joining/leaving in particular).
  • KattcattisKattcattis Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182683Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I also have opinion about this matter, because I was in a game when they conceded after losing the third hive...
    We still had 2 hives and upgrades, and I played as onos on my way to strike in to the marines mainbase. But apparently no one else in my team notice me trying to take the base down? I don't know what can be done about this, but it is really boring when everyone just gives up when you still can win with the right amount of energy and push!
  • semihandysemihandy Florida Join Date: 2012-05-24 Member: 152537Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Silver
    The concede option is not much different from F4/rage quitting. It's there to prevent those two things. But, I wanted to also point out that in most cases, and in most pub matches I've played, people just don't concede when it's clearly over.
  • current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    edited January 2013
    I also do not like this option. It's fine if you do it when your team can't even secure a 2nd tech point due to whatever reason and its fine to do it if the other team is just absolutely failing at finishing you off and you feel there is no hope but I am seeing this done while a teams still have 2 techpoints daily. I mostly see it on the alien side when they can't secure a 3rd hive and we are pressuring their 2nd. Its being extremely overused and ends the game in a horrible way.

However...before people NEVER f4ed before. The lack of people understanding when to f4 made games last FAR too long especially when there was team balance enabled. Making a wining team play with 4 players instead of 8 was insane. So simply removing vote concede I don't think is the right option if you force the team balance mechanic on people when the other team f4ed.

Ideally for me you would make the auto balance not kick-in in any F4 situation and you would remove the vote concede feature in a month or so. People will then look for a way to end horrible games and be not as likely to do it since they potentially have to sit out while others play.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited January 2013
    Because it doesn't stop people from f4ing early, and f4ing is worse because only need a minority to do it to spoil a game in progress, and eventually stop it entirely due to compounding imbalance (i.e. 3 people f4, then more f4 because whats the point if the teams are so imbalanced in a game you're already losing anyway). Whereas concede needs a majority vote. I have noticed that people are conceding more than people used to f4, which is unfortunate, and I see it as a result of people using the feature just because it was introduced - "If you build it they will come".

If it were up to me, I would let people switch teams whilst already in a team (presuming the target team doesn't have too many players compared to the numbers your team will have once you leave), and remove f4 entirely, leaving ready room only available to connecting players, rounds that have ended, and map changes - although people could always reconnect to effectively f4. 15 minute concede sounds alright though? (even though I'm very much a "play until the fat lady sings" type person) Hell, drop that down to 5 minutes. Plenty of games are decided that quickly, so if it is, then no point making people suffer an extra 10 if they don't want to sit there getting slaughtered while they wait for the inevitable. There needs to be a minimum time limit on concede votes to cut down on abuse while server admins aren't present. But 45 minutes is ridiculous. Aliens could have amassed all their technology well before then, and just be sitting outside the remaining marine base just toying with them. I'd hate to wait till the 45 minute mark to put a stop to that.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    I warned you about concede vote bro!!!! I told you dog!
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited February 2013
    I fail to see the problem. Most games are often over by 5:00; the other 10 minutes are just a formality. 15 minutes is about the average NS2 game IMO. Anything more usually means either bad commander, bad team, or everyone playing it WAY too safe.

If you're looking for a 60+ minutes tower defense fest, either wait for siege mods, or look for another game. That's my suggestion anyway.

P.S. I personally have WAY more fun playing 6 10-minute rounds with a clear win/loss, than one protracted, bloated, 60-minute spamfest without teamwork on either side.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    It's being used for the wrong reasons, there's almost no way in hell a game is over by the 5:00 mark unless they've destroyed your IPs 2-3 times and are all waiting outside your spawn to camp you, something I've never seen or heard of.

I see marines constantly concede while holding 2 bases, what the fuck, this is/was a core concept of NS, aliens are zerg who constantly need to expand to get stronger and push, marines have the better static game and can turtle or hold and tech up to break the aggression or turn it around. In SC2 you send drop ships and harrass resource lines, NS2 you send 2-3 marines to harrass hive/upgrades/RTs.

There is literally 0 reason to ever concede on 2 bases as marines (fuck even 2 hive aliens), you can armoury up entrances to hold off onos, send out 2-3 man death squads on their RTs/upgrade, shit just killing 2-3 upgrades sets the aliens back 2-3 minutes of res easy, killing off an RT-2 afterwards basically resets any advantage the alien team had outside of pres.

There's a serious lack of 'plays' being made in NS2 because dickheads think you need 3/3 upgrades with 5 exos and 10 seiges to kill a hive when it's possible for 3-4 marines to knife down any hive in about 30 seconds at any stage of the game, serious lack of aggression or game sense on the whole of public servers because rands have no idea what to do or how to do it. Concede only helps these idiots reset rounds endlessly because they didn't get some perfect start, it'd be like forfeiting games in CS because you lost the pistol and save round "FUCK IT WE CANT AWP BY ROUND 4 GG GUYS WE'll NEVER HIT 11 VOTE CONCEDE" would be ridiculed to high heaven.

I thought concede was to be used once it was completely over and the enemy team isn't finishing a round, to break the 1 base turtle on marines basically without looking like a rage quitting faggot in the ready room before everyone else and forcing server auto balance on the winning team. Instead I see concede used endlessly when aliens lose third hive and 1-2 high life forms or people can't be arsed playing another 5 mins into a loss, it's like a never ending Idra ragequit in SC2 where people give up in the middle of a fight for no apparent reason while pretending they knew everything.
  • RippsyRippsy Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179921Members
    Xao wrote: »
    Iit'd be like forfeiting games in CS because you lost the pistol and save round "FUCK IT WE CANT AWP BY ROUND 4 GG GUYS WE'll NEVER HIT 11 VOTE CONCEDE" would be ridiculed to high heaven.

If only I hadn't seen this... exact thing essentially happen - when the moral of the team saps and they just roll over ... good times! But yes, concede is used far to early in most cases! Some of the ... if not all the best games I've had are when it all feels like you've lost, and then you take advantage of a mistake succeed in a major play and take some ground back and the game sweeps around to your victory.

(Goes for both CS and NS2)
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    I'm not liking the new concede option either. People are too fast to just give up.

I'm not a big fan of the 10-15 min games, they are too short and their is still a possibily of making a comeback.

I was in a game the other night as aliens and we were making pretty good progress with two hives already and working on a 3rd vs only 1 CC. Looked like an easy win for aliens and surprised marines didn't concede.
    But all of a sudden the marine team got organized and started making entire team shottie rushes to our hives and took them out faster than we could get there. By the time we got to the hive they beaconed back to base and rushed our other hive and proceded to do the same thing. Luckily we were able to regrow another hive but losing two hive in that short amount of time we thought for sure if was over for us.
    But we managed to make a comeback and win. Sure the game lasted probably 45-60 min but it was a lot of fun.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    You see UWE, you have this problem of rounds being decided way too fast for pub players to react or learn anything. This results in this "pubstomping" which results in marine turtleing or alien egglocking, both very frustrating experiences. That makes players F4.
    So what did you do to fix that? In order to "even" the teams, you have this autoteambalance feature that punishes the winning team if the losers give up, dragging out the game even longer and frustrating the winning team as well.
    So what did you do to fix that? You added the concede vote, another mechanic on top of it all without reacting to the root of the problem. Now you have rounds being thrown at the first sight of a loss.
    What comes next? Time limits, only to see one team give up at 5 minutes and wait it out for another 10 so they can concede?

Adding more stuff will not solve the inherent problems the game has:
    Respawntime is too fast -> Zerging on both sides, killing players is almost meaningless.
    Aliens spawn in waves, Marines not -> Causes the egglock frustration and making it way too hard to kill a defended hive without arcs (at least in pubs). Causes skulkrushes to be more effective than they should be (when marines would spawn in waves).
    The Khammander does not need his team to expand -> The marines are screwed if they dont hinder alien expansion in the first 5 minutes. If marines start to fight over hives/outposts, they are already losing.
    The GL is terribly ineffective at killing structures while doing too much damage to lifeforms.
    LMG fire rate is too fast, making the weapon very unforgiveable for newbies - they waste all their bullets into the walls and then get picked off when reloading.