This game is dead

CalinCalin Join Date: 2012-11-10 Member: 168917Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Also If I see one more ONOS OP post I will have a seizure.</div>That's that.

I see huge posts of long time fans saying "Yeah, I can't play anymore unless it's combat or a scrim"
I see posts of people posting steam stats, like I have before, of NS2 getting outplayed by farm simulator.
I see games going to ###### every single day because of the terrible decision being made behind the scenes.

It's all comes together like a turd sandwich. The game is so hard to play, especially for new players. Playing in a pub is embarrassing, at least 80% of the time marines win because they are about 145362 x easier to play, especially for new people. And as an icing on that ###### sundae, aliens keep getting nerfed. Pub play is literally DYING and I'm sitting here watching it happen... and guess what, pub play is the heart of every game... this game without a heart is a handful players who only play on occasion and don't even bother playing regularly anymore!

It's happening, whether you want to acknowledge it or not, and all I wanted was to help by posting solution to real problems I see on a daily basis playing the game... but instead we get solution to problems which are only present in "competitive play" and the rest of the game gets ###### on....

Today was probably the last time I see one heavy take out a hive solo with one jetpacking welder following close by... I can't stand it anymore, and my three friends are with me...

And for the last ###### time, Onos is NOT overpowered! and it does NOT need to be changed! IT NEVER DID!!!

Why do you see it all the time!?! why do you see soooo many!?!? Because it is the ONLY viable path for aliens. They CANNOT win without Onos, that's how bad fade and lerk are, there are no options.

Comments

• ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Make post about marines being overpowered. All recorded stats show marines to be much weaker than aliens. Believe that you are right in spite of all evidence pointing to the contrary. Be OP.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2036364:date=Nov 28 2012, 06:33 AM:name=Calin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Calin @ Nov 28 2012, 06:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036364"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->pub play is the heart of every game<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I remember the massive, heated arguments in NS1 about pubs vs. comp. UWE (or, before they were known as UWE) always seemed to elect to put their eggs in the competition basket. They even invited community playtesters to help refine later versions of NS1 - but the trick was that only well-known CLANS were allowed in. And they got snazzy special treatment for it too.

At one point this may have been true, that competition was actually important, but from what I can tell, that boat has sailed. Everyone who's made FPS games in the last few years that seem to be geared towards clan play and competition has failed. They all hemorrhage players after launch and are graveyards within a year. I think it's time to admit that competition doesn't matter anymore.

I think that the success of e-sports has a lot to do with it. I used this analogy before, let's try it again.

In America, American Football is super-popular. Ridiculously so. Frankly, I think Rugby is a better game. It's like football, but faster, has much less downtime, the ball is always in motion and it keeps a high note throughout a match, and it's easy for the game to rapidly turn around.

The problem is, rugby is SO similar to football, that anyone who could possibly care about Rugby <i>already</i> cares about football. And why would the players decide to go start playing Rugby when they can make more money playing football, and why would fans want to quit following their favorite teams to go watch almost the same sport but with less coverage? It's for that reason that Rugby will never make it big in America.

The way I see it, the huge success of e-sports in a few niche titles has monopolized the competitive scene, which is why "casual" games these days do so well. The fact is, competition being central to a game's health stopped being a serious thing many years ago.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2036366:date=Nov 28 2012, 06:45 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Nov 28 2012, 06:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036366"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Make post about marines being overpowered. All recorded stats show marines to be much weaker than aliens. Believe that you are right in spite of all evidence pointing to the contrary. Be OP.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What's funny is that if you break the gameplay down on paper, there's very few reasons why the aliens should be winning. The marine team is one hard counter after another, they were given all the breaks and all the most unnecessary features, and they were neutered the least in the transition between NS1 and NS2.

If you were completely objective about the whole thing, the list of EZMODE features that the marines have would be huge. As an example, why is the ARC even a thing? How could the marines EVER POSSIBLY NEED IT? The aliens have absolutely garbage defenses and no serious way to turtle. It's almost impossible to keep marines out of the hive if they really want to get in.

If, by some miracle of christ, the aliens actually managed to put up a strong enough defense that the marines couldn't break into the hive... they put in a special crutch that nukes hives through walls, because why the **** wouldn't they? Those poor marines don't deserve to be shut down by an effective turtle!

It really seems to be that alien victory tenuously rests on one or two particularly alien-biased facets of the game, which I'm going to imagine one of which is res node control, and the second of which is the Onos.
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    aliens are not only easier to play they win way more, just happens that they're also way more fun, marines have the potential to be better imo, just takes more teamwork, they're more powerful given decent hitreg ping and fps.

OP stop crying
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    lets paraphrase in game theory wordings.

going onos is a dominant strategy.

happy?
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2036364:date=Nov 27 2012, 11:33 PM:name=Calin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Calin @ Nov 27 2012, 11:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036364"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Today was probably the last time I see one heavy take out a hive solo with one jetpacking welder following close by...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=2036364:date=Nov 27 2012, 11:33 PM:name=Calin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Calin @ Nov 27 2012, 11:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036364"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->one heavy take out a hive solo with one jetpacking welder<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=2036364:date=Nov 27 2012, 11:33 PM:name=Calin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Calin @ Nov 27 2012, 11:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036364"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><i> solo </i>with one jetpack<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think that word means what you think it means.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2036364:date=Nov 28 2012, 01:33 AM:name=Calin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Calin @ Nov 28 2012, 01:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036364"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's that.

I see huge posts of long time fans saying "Yeah, I can't play anymore unless it's combat or a scrim"
    I see posts of people posting steam stats, like I have before, of NS2 getting outplayed by farm simulator.
    I see games going to ###### every single day because of the terrible decision being made behind the scenes.

It's all comes together like a turd sandwich. The game is so hard to play, especially for new players. Playing in a pub is embarrassing, at least 80% of the time marines win because they are about 145362 x easier to play, especially for new people. And as an icing on that ###### sundae, aliens keep getting nerfed. Pub play is literally DYING and I'm sitting here watching it happen... and guess what, pub play is the heart of every game... this game without a heart is a handful players who only play on occasion and don't even bother playing regularly anymore!

It's happening, whether you want to acknowledge it or not, and all I wanted was to help by posting solution to real problems I see on a daily basis playing the game... but instead we get solution to problems which are only present in "competitive play" and the rest of the game gets ###### on....

Today was probably the last time I see one heavy take out a hive solo with one jetpacking welder following close by... I can't stand it anymore, and my three friends are with me...

And for the last ###### time, Onos is NOT overpowered! and it does NOT need to be changed! IT NEVER DID!!!

Why do you see it all the time!?! why do you see soooo many!?!? Because it is the ONLY viable path for aliens. They CANNOT win without Onos, that's how bad fade and lerk are, there are no options.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Jesus, it feels like you're just completely and totally trolling.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I see huge posts of long time fans saying "Yeah, I can't play anymore unless it's combat or a scrim"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Oh, you mean competitive players complaining about how bad everyone else is?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->at least 80% of the time marines win<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->The statistics show that about 59% of all NS2 games are won by Aliens RIGHT NOW.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Today was probably the last time I see one heavy take out a hive solo with one jetpacking welder following close by... I can't stand it anymore, and my three friends are with me...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Today I saw an onos and a gorge take out 2 exos and a whole marine team. Sometimes good players kill bad players even when they shouldn't be able to.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And for the last ###### time, Onos is NOT overpowered! and it does NOT need to be changed! IT NEVER DID!!!

Why do you see it all the time!?! why do you see soooo many!?!? Because it is the ONLY viable path for aliens. They CANNOT win without Onos, that's how bad fade and lerk are, there are no options.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So the Onos is the ONLY thing the aliens have that's good? And the other things are too bad to be useful? Isn't that an indication the Onos is too strong? Especially considering you're COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY wrong about which team is the dominant one right now?
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2036372:date=Nov 28 2012, 06:53 AM:name=unkind)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (unkind @ Nov 28 2012, 06:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036372"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->just happens that they're also way more fun<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually I thought that was widely the opposite sentiment. Everyone knows marines are going to lose more, but people still stack up on the marine team. And don't use that "lol people are used to it" line. That doesn't fly anymore.

Marines always feel useful, marines have more things to play with to spice up their gameplay, marines never feel powerless except in the face of an Onos, and when it comes to losing, marines are a lot more fun to lose as than aliens.
  • HivelordHivelord Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17567Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Aliens losing = egg lock, the worst kind of fate.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    edited November 2012
    I get a lot of fun out of the game on both side IF there is teamwork. Ambushing as a skulkpack, covering fellow marines thats what this game is all about.
    PS: I agree that egglock sucks. Imho it would be better the other way around: Have marines spawn in waves and the aliens after a short, individual timer. Makes more sense since eggs are limited anyway and would give marines more defense against early skulkrushes which happen way too often.
  • pittlerGGpittlerGG Join Date: 2012-11-12 Member: 169896Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2036364:date=Nov 27 2012, 10:33 PM:name=Calin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Calin @ Nov 27 2012, 10:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036364"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's that.

Why do you see it all the time!?! why do you see soooo many!?!? Because it is the ONLY viable path for aliens. They CANNOT win without Onos, that's how bad fade and lerk are, there are no options.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->rofl

Well folks, that random guy said the game is dead so I guess we should all just stop playing.

It's UWE's own fault for not hiring Calin, the master of game balance, to design their game for them, if he had been calling the the shots maybe the game would not have died so quickly. But nooo, you had to ignore him, you fools!

OP I have a question for you:
    You said that only competitive play gets it's problems fixed. Then why aren't you playing in a competitive setting instead of public play, which you claim is dead? Seeing as you are a great player, who knows everything about the game (and have such a charming personality) why aren't you in a clan playing exclusively PCW and tournaments?

I understand that your deep passion for the game makes you want to have NS2 reach as broad an audience as possible, and I'm with you there. But since you are such a great player, and you know exactly what the game needs to be balanced and successful, I'm concerned by the fact that you don't mention any reasons why it's unbalanced, and you don't even hint at how it should be fixed. You have a lot of work left before you have shown anything to be imba, and until then we have no reason to take you seriously.
  • XIIGageXIIGage Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158060Members
    While I don't wish to side with the OP, and I don't agree with any of his/her points except that the game is losing popularity unfortunately =(

<a href="http://www.steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=208480q4920q218230&from=1351457785" target="_blank">http://www.steamgraph.net/index.php?action...from=1351457785</a>

Ignore the other games on there, i was just playing with the graph.

I am hoping that this is just because it is finals for a lot of people, but either way the population has declined about 1000 players per week so far =(
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2036370:date=Nov 28 2012, 08:48 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 28 2012, 08:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036370"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What's funny is that if you break the gameplay down on paper, there's very few reasons why the aliens should be winning. The marine team is one hard counter after another, they were given all the breaks and all the most unnecessary features, and they were neutered the least in the transition between NS1 and NS2.

It really seems to be that alien victory tenuously rests on one or two particularly alien-biased facets of the game, which I'm going to imagine one of which is res node control, and the second of which is the Onos.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would go so far as to put it all on the Onos. Even with below average res control, the aliens can go Onos in a measly 10 or so minutes.

But whether the alien team wins because it is vastly more powerful in every aspect, or simply because one tiny factor keeps overwhelming the marines, the fact remains the same. The OP is butthurt about always losing to marines, when the marines tend to lose quite a majority of the games. This pretty much renders his entire point moot.

<!--quoteo(post=2036374:date=Nov 28 2012, 08:57 AM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Nov 28 2012, 08:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036374"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think that word means what you think it means.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I interpreted it to mean that the exo had fixed a single jetpack to his armor.

<!--quoteo(post=2036386:date=Nov 28 2012, 09:18 AM:name=XIIGage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (XIIGage @ Nov 28 2012, 09:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036386"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While I don't wish to side with the OP, and I don't agree with any of his/her points except that the game is losing popularity unfortunately =(

<a href="http://www.steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=208480q4920q218230&from=1351457785" target="_blank">http://www.steamgraph.net/index.php?action...from=1351457785</a>

Ignore the other games on there, i was just playing with the graph.

I am hoping that this is just because it is finals for a lot of people, but either way the population has declined about 1000 players per week so far =(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I remember when D2 fanboys used the same logic for why D3 was bad, after it dropped by 60k players in the first month. <b>That's what games do</b>. Its just like any media product. Do you think a movies ticket sales are as big in the first week as they are in the third? That's just the way it works. In fact, looking at that graph, the drop off seems to be substantially less than can typically be expected.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    edited November 2012
    Damnit, i spend a day assembling my new computer to play ns2 fluidly and you guys start screaming over my abscence. Have no fear, I'll be back and i got a parcel full of asswhooping for each one of you in my sack!
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Yes there are issues with performance, yes there is a Steam sale, yes balance isn't perfect yet.
    Does that mean the game is dead? No, absolutely not.
    When I hop on my server in the evening it's full within 15 minutes.
    With the current differences in how skilled people are at NS2 the played games will vary wildly.
    Yes Onos and Gorge will win your game, so will Exo and jetpacker/welder.
    Keep your cool and stop posting nonsense.

Closing topic.
This discussion has been closed.