While holding any key game freezes up

SaniKSaniK Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166850Members
edited November 2012 in Technical Support
and a repetitive beeping noise sounds when I hold any keyboard key making it so I cant play. Mouse is effected too.

Mic works fine and doesn't cause the extreme choppy/freeze up but everyone I talked to in game doesn't know how to help me.

also when I press y or enter to chat no letters appear on screen when I press any key.

Thanks! I just bought the game and really want to play! When I first started the game worked fine then about 20 min into it all this happened :(

---------------------------------------

Where are the scorpions that hovar without flapping? -Smart_Bomb

Comments

• SaniKSaniK Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166850Members
    I'm will continue to bump till someone helps me, I didn't drop 25$ for nothing you know :/
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Id say obviously try another keyboard and mouse combo first?
    This hasnt been reported anywhere else..
  • SuperflySuperfly Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3485Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2010034:date=Nov 4 2012, 03:14 PM:name=SaniK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaniK @ Nov 4 2012, 03:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010034"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and a beeping noise when I hold any keyboard key making it so I cant play. Mouse is effected too.

Mic works fine and doesn't cause the extreme choppy/freeze up but everyone I talked to in game doesn't know how to help me.

also when I press y or enter to chat no letters appear on screen when I press any key.

Thanks! I just bought the game and really want to play! When I first started the game worked fine then about 20 min into it all this happened :(

Where are the scorpions that hovar without flapping? -Smart_Bomb<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can think of a couple of issues off hand that you might look into:

1 - You might have "Sticky Keys" turned on. Check your "Ease of Access" settings and make sure you don't have any of the keyboard modifications turned on..

2 - Any sort of "Key Logger" could cause issues. Something like a Macro Recorder, Virus, any other such software that traps or modifies keys will wreak havoc on game play.
    Thanks for the replies.

I have a brand new Razor keyboard and mouse that cost 120$ together and they are built for gaming so I dont see why that would effect it since it works fine for all other games I own.

I checking sticky keys was one of the first thing I looked at which was hard to find for windows 7 64bit but it was disabled.

Ill run all my anti virus and see if that helps, thank you.

The weird part is, I completely exited out of NS2/steam and when I reloaded the game it seemed to work with no problems...I dont get it.
  • kingskkingsk Join Date: 2012-11-10 Member: 169289Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2010034:date=Nov 4 2012, 12:14 PM:name=SaniK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaniK @ Nov 4 2012, 12:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010034"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and a repetitive beeping noise sounds when I hold any keyboard key making it so I cant play. Mouse is effected too.

Where are the scorpions that hovar without flapping? -Smart_Bomb<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have a similar issue as the op, except I don't have the beeping sound. The problem usually occurs after 1-2 hours of playing, but sometimes it can happen within 20 mins. My guess is that while holding down a key, "somehow" it enters to an infinite loop. As long as I hold down the key, the game will continue freezing. Once it happens, the only way I know how to fix this is restarting the game.
    yes kingsk I get that too, when I try to chat it all comes up in ?????? and same for opening consul to type anything.

The infinite loop causes extreme choppiness to the point of when it gets that way your stuck. The only thing you can do to fix it is to completly exit the game and restart or buy a g-nade launcher and stand next to armory lobbing nades till the game is over :/
    Ya. Something is wrong with the chat and console as well. However, I can type in console except I cannot see it until I press enter. One more thing, the mouse is not affected. I can buy a grenade launcher and standstill at a corner and shoot :)

Here is my PC specs, I thinks it is not a bad PC:

AMD Phenom II x6 1055T
    Radeon HD 5850
    G.Skill 4GB RAM
    Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5
    Windows 7 Prof x64

If you need any log, I can try to get it.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Sounds like there is driver/software running in the background related to your mouse/keyboard that is interfering with NS2.
    Disable / uninstall all drivers and software for it and attempt to use it stock generic drivers if possible.

Again, i am not saying "you cant use your expensive equipment" i am saying "test to see if it works without it" so that we can single out the issue.
  • MooJrMooJr Join Date: 2011-10-18 Member: 128100Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    That sounds like something that happened to me a few days ago, simply restarting the game fixed the issue. I was playing the game windowed and tabbed over to my browser and when I tabbed back in keyboard didn't work and a windows bing sound would play when I pushed a key. The cursor would also not stay in the game window, like NS2 was stuck in the background in windows explorer.
    Okay. Finally found the cause that triggers this problem. It is the input language keyboard. If you have more than one input language other than English is installed, and you switch to that input language keyboard while playing NS2, you will hit this problem. On Windows, the key combination for switching to another input language keyboard is Shift + Ctrl by default. Normally, we don't pressing that combination in game, and that's why it was not so easy to catch this problem. This is also why you see "?????" or some other weird characters "&*&*(%??" while typing in chat; the game does not recognize that language. After switching to the other input language keyboard, and although you are not in any typable field (chat and console), that language keyboard has higher priority than the NS2 for some unknown reason. So the system thinks you are actually trying to type, and when you press/hold any key it holds the CPU resource until you release the key, which causes the game to freeze. The beeping sound probably comes from something the language keyboard doesn't take. Once you change to that input language, you can't change it back to English :( , restarting the game is required.

Simply put, you can change the switch key combination to avoid this problem right now.

I remember I didn't have this issue while I was playing CS few years ago.
    o ###### i have language changer too king thanks so much! let me try that out
    kingsk thank you so much that solved my problem now everything works smoothly!

stupid language changer!