Ranking

13»

Comments

• SarosuSarosu Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147573Members
    edited February 2012
    A ranked system that only counts time played could perhaps be nice. So other players get an idea of who is experienced in the game.

A ranked system based on k/d is not good, since it's very much a teamgame that dosen't evolve that much around k/d.

Also, a ranked system should not give any buffs, not even for a single game. However, maybe the ranked system could give priority for commanding?

**edit**

perhaps higher ranks could unlock different voicings or skins for aliens/marines. Everything visually that is just for show off would be nice imo, to give that achievement feeling without giving an unfair advantage.
  • HemiHemi Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145362Members
    edited February 2012
    I think it will have to have global goals though. So people dont tend to use 1 class only(though allot allready do that).

Global 2 species goals could be Time played, games won etc
  • VolccisVolccis Join Date: 2011-12-11 Member: 137452Members
    edited February 2012
    I understand the part to get some rewards from your used time. Anyway I wouldnt see the ranking system being that much rewarding honestly. That idea to have unlockable skins, models, sounds or something would be more rewarding. Similar to HoN/LoL/Dota like games. You would purchase em by real money or in-game money, but developers should make a store and systems for that so its not that simply.

How I see these kind of FPS games are like CS:S. When I play CS:S, I only play on few servers which dont have full of retards. I just dont like to play CS:S on some random server but with good people its actually quite fun. The community on the server makes the game better, thats the thing what Im talking about.
    In BF 3 where you had to level up made me to choose some random server and get alot of xp myself. If you tried to play as team you probably didnt get that much xp in BF 3 than soloing alone and owning casual players. The ranking system wouldnt do that but it would make people to care more themselves than teammates and getting only numerical rewards wouldnt be even fun.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1907537:date=Feb 27 2012, 12:59 PM:name=Volccis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Volccis @ Feb 27 2012, 12:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907537"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I understand the part to get some rewards from your used time. Anyway I wouldnt see the ranking system being that much rewarding honestly. That idea to have unlockable skins, models, sounds or something would be more rewarding. Similar to HoN/LoL/Dota like games. You would purchase em by real money or in-game money, but developers should make a store and systems for that so its not that simply.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS2 isn't a f2p game. And I'd be angry at a game that involves a 'play for 500 hours and get a badge, or spend $15 to get it now' system. As it removes any kind of satisfaction from unlocking said items in the first place.

Rank gain via experience mostly from playtime would work the best. Small modifiers for team orientated actions or assists helping with the experience flow. And unlocking said visual modifiers when reaching milestone ranks would definitely be satisfying.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    @ anything relating to stats\ranks\perks:

Create a mod that does that and have a blast doing so, but keep that silly nonsense out of the core-game. Called into being purely to keep players grinding at a game they otherwise wouldn't find worthy a second glance, or simply to milk insecure\immature people out of their money. Very nice. I don't want to contemplate about the sorts of people it would attract to this game, nor the nasty habits it would invoke.
    Well you do want to win a few games now don't you? Cod players make great cannon fodder.

You say silly nonsense, I say bring in the meat!

And let them milk millions out of their money, the better NS3 is going to be. I throw money at this franchise any time! :D
  • gamester_5gamester_5 Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64094Members
    If there is a stats log it would be server based. I remember Scott's House of Alien Rampage had a stats system. It would show kills with each weapon, K/D per weapon and so on. It would log each player that was on the server and show stats for each.

This would not give you special upgrades or anything, just FYI and it would list the top 100 players on the server in the past 30 days. It would also give map stats and you could set up stats tracking for clans and some other tools. It has been a long time so I cant remember everything.
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree that this should be something server specific rather than globally enforced.

For my server, I plan on porting my stats/balancing/rating plugin from my NS1 server which works on the basis of relative skill evaluation. The primary use of that would be to prevent unbalanced teams. I dont believe ranks for "showing off" is helpful in any way. A good (single) player with high playtime can be an absolute ######bag and suck at teamplay bigtime.
  • GodofThunderGodofThunder Join Date: 2011-12-13 Member: 137815Members
    edited February 2012
    False sense of achievement is great. Ooooo and let's add hats to for rewards. And rank's with names that get bigger and bigger the higher you go. And soon let's charge people for buying special weapons so we can make money. And we could customise our character's, maybe with like haircuts SO WE LOOK SO COOL! And let's be like every other crap souless FPS, RPG....................

No thanks. NS is about killing. The only reward should be the satisfaction of slaughtering your opponents.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1907720:date=Feb 27 2012, 10:12 PM:name=GodofThunder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GodofThunder @ Feb 27 2012, 10:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907720"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No thanks. NS is about killing. The only reward should be the satisfaction of slaughtering your opponents.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Welder-kills are their own reward =P
    <!--quoteo(post=1907720:date=Feb 28 2012, 05:12 AM:name=GodofThunder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GodofThunder @ Feb 28 2012, 05:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907720"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->False sense of achievement is great. Ooooo and let's add hats to for rewards. And rank's with names that get bigger and bigger the higher you go. And soon let's charge people for buying special weapons so we can make money. And we could customise our character's, maybe with like haircuts SO WE LOOK SO COOL! And let's be like every other crap souless FPS, RPG....................

No thanks. NS is about killing. The only reward should be the satisfaction of slaughtering your opponents.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

mear words.. need proof. Need shiny medal says : "Killed a god of thunder and got away with it"

:P
  • incogincog Join Date: 2003-07-26 Member: 18452Members, Constellation
    Steam achievements would be fun.. Other than that there are normally server mods that do the ranking.