Natural Selection 2 News Update - Friday Update - Podcast 28

Comments

• yodayoda Join Date: 2003-11-27 Member: 23619Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1760255:date=Mar 20 2010, 03:38 AM:name=Ryo-Ohki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryo-Ohki @ Mar 20 2010, 03:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760255"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's rather hypocritical to insult a group by calling them all "kiddies" and then say "nothing wrong with this", as if you consider their opinion equally valid. I'm 28 and I don't think it's unreasonable to find this news offering unsatisfying. Since the daily twitter updates have ceased altogether this is our only chance for any information whatsoever, and to be given this instead is frankly disappointing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Kind of meant kiddies loosely in the sense of script-kiddies. I guess it was a stab at the fact that the some of the earlier posters were really blunt in their opinions and gave no reason on why they were so negative (first two responses). But yeah I guess the news has become a bit of a trickle at late so perhaps the rage is warranted?
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited March 2010
    well if you think about most of people here just want the game hence they want game updates screenshots, videos, reveals.
    then you have the more techi people who love to hear about the game and tech and design stuff and find them intressting, the problem is the last 2 friday updates where only for the 2nd group thus left out the first group out, the people who dont understand/care about tech and that is frustrating for them considering there is no updates in between and they waited 14 days for "nothing".
    have some faith guys and more exiting stuff will be on the way.
    that being said Id love for the dailey tweets to come back + the friday updates.

PS. I understand that you guys ( UWE ) want to release stuff when they feel polished and I mean everything from videos, reveals and screenshots because releasing anything that is not could backfire but remember that releasing allmost nothing could allso backfire so keep that in mind, and am sure that many here agree that they would rather see some new unpolished footage every now and then than seeing nothing.
    proof of that is the footage from moddb, it wasnt polished but people went crazy about it.
  • PierreOfTheFrenchPierreOfTheFrench Join Date: 2010-01-08 Member: 69976Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1760307:date=Mar 20 2010, 06:25 PM:name=rammaj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rammaj @ Mar 20 2010, 06:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760307"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...and am sure that many here agree that they would rather see some new unpolished footage every now and then than seeing nothing.
    proof of that is the footage from moddb, it wasnt polished but people went crazy about it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah but even when something incredibly cool but unpolished people tend to verbally destroy it. I remember like with the switch axe and pistol media release I thought they looked incredibly cool but some, not all, people tended to bash them. I can see why they are hesitant to release more media. If you look at a ton of games out there, you don't even care about how good the models, animations, muzzle flashes look, (unless they are god awful) but every time something is released people pick it apart. People seem to expect things to look how they want them, they can't possibly satisfy everyones 2-cents.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1760207:date=Mar 19 2010, 09:03 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Mar 19 2010, 09:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760207"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You couldn't really do that, LODs can't be generated, you need to do them by hand or at the least you have to go over the results from a procedural system to check for errors, if you just throw it at a mesh destruction program you'll get loads of errors. Textures already come with half a dozen different resolutions in the form of mipmaps, and you can just clamp the max resolution like you would the max LOD in a HL2 model with your video settings. Plus that system only works for digital distribution and even then it massively ups your support requirements because everyone's using a different copy.

The usual advanced video settings are much easier, the best you could do is get automatic video configuration generation, which most games already have with the 'choose what's best for my PC' button.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I wanted to come back to this very briefly since I actually wrote a more coherent response before but trashed it and left that other comment. The original comment was written in two parts and the idea ended up going to pretty wild places hah. I think, as you pointed out, that the best way would be a more hybrid approach that would deal with the config and rely upon fixed minimums. That said, the operation could be that Q/C people would determine which visual elements contribute the most to the scene and then after providing some sort of weight or preference to these effects they would allow the system to compute the various optimal texture (for vram, and for perceptual quality) and processing settings. If you had access to all types of hardware you could conceivably just let the system do all of the permutations and then present to the Q/C the top couple configs and let them choose which looks best. Of course the downside is that it is dependent on the driver, many games already strive to optimize the visuals for various configs and they already look pretty good, and that the effort may not be worth it for only minimal gains. What set the idea off was thinking about some of the older titles where some of this could have been far more useful (eg: games that had to deal with figuring out how to support multiple generations of wildly different hardware, like a few years ago when the gamut ranged from ps 1.1/1.4/2.0). It is easy to forget (when you aren't doing this all the time) how baked in and optimized the games already are these days and how much better the expected hardware really is. The slower pace of change and the impact of the fixed hardware on the consoles seems to have resulted in a more consistent experience.
    I hope that makes a little more sense :)

Oh by the way NS2 team, perhaps you could have discussed if or how the concepts you brought up apply to ns2... any particularly amazing feature stick out that you needed to scale back?
  • SqueeboSqueebo Join Date: 2008-02-04 Member: 63580Members
    Great podcast. =D

Thanks for the update.
  • ikirikir Join Date: 2003-07-19 Member: 18265Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    Thanks, very interesting! Steam for Mac is a great news, i hope to play NS2 on my Mac Pro soon :-)
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Max: I heard you talking about Color Grading/Correction in the new CryEngine by taking a screenshot and using photoshop.
    Now I dont really understand how that is different/new to this article that got published a while ago (I guess):
    <a href="http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems/gpugems_ch22.html" target="_blank">http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems/gpugems_ch22.html</a>
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1760304:date=Mar 20 2010, 05:09 PM:name=yoda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yoda @ Mar 20 2010, 05:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760304"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But yeah I guess the news has become a bit of a trickle at late so perhaps the rage is warranted?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If I were a betting man, which I'm not, but say I were, I'd say the fewer news updates relates to the constant rage that is thrown at them. How to combat that? Just make less news, same amount of rage, that way time is better spent.
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1760337:date=Mar 20 2010, 07:12 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Mar 20 2010, 07:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760337"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If I were a betting man, which I'm not, but say I were, I'd say the fewer news updates relates to the constant rage that is thrown at them. How to combat that? Just make less news, same amount of rage, that way time is better spent.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thats dumb. this update is probably lame because UWE was a GDC & didnt have time to do a real one.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    The GDC was the week prior, 9th-13th. You might want to do your homework before calling a comment dumb. <a href="http://www.gdconf.com/" target="_blank">http://www.gdconf.com/</a> For more info.
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    I'm aware of when GDC is. My point is they are behind by a week (more, considering travel, etc) on whatever schedule they were previously operating on.
    Then you must also be aware the UWE office is based in San Francisco too, where the GDC took place. I wouldn't consider travel was a massive issue.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1760322:date=Mar 20 2010, 07:06 PM:name=PierreOfTheFrench)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PierreOfTheFrench @ Mar 20 2010, 07:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760322"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah but even when something incredibly cool but unpolished people tend to verbally destroy it. I remember like with the switch axe and pistol media release I thought they looked incredibly cool but some, not all, people tended to bash them. I can see why they are hesitant to release more media. If you look at a ton of games out there, you don't even care about how good the models, animations, muzzle flashes look, (unless they are god awful) but every time something is released people pick it apart. People seem to expect things to look how they want them, they can't possibly satisfy everyones 2-cents.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thats the thing that I really dont get with some people here, they sure dont complain on models in other games so wtf?
    people have high expectations for this game and it seems like sometimes they get lost in their own fantasy and start demanding and complaining about stuff that isnt that important like ohh that RT model looks to big. WTF?! I cant help but to ask are you going to stare at it the hole time your playing?
    or ohh I dont like how the bullets eject from the new gun, its like its the same people who dont get any kills cause they are to damn stupid doing god knows what instead of doing some team work are the very same who complain on stuff that is irrelevant.
    here are some what I consider stupid comments

1.Why isnt any armor covering the butt? marine reveal screenshots
    2.I dont like the RT model, it feel those legs wont hold it in place and it will fall down ( both RTs marines and khara's )
    3.the pistol luger thing look like it could hurt the marines fingers, I dont like it.
    and the list goes on so clearly you could see what kind of people we are talking about.

I sure hope the devs are not holding back stuff because of those people.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    I liked that they mentioned sequel success/failure. And that Blizzard can do no wrong. But if that's the case, then why did WC3 not surpass Starcraft even though it was more accessible?
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Guys, why do you feed the trolls? Just let the discussion die and ignore them.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1760347:date=Mar 21 2010, 06:07 AM:name=w0dk4)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (w0dk4 @ Mar 21 2010, 06:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760347"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Guys, why do you feed the trolls? Just let the discussion die and ignore them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    because someone on the internet is wrong :P
  • ThaTha Join Date: 2009-06-05 Member: 67694Members
    UWE are splitting the strong from the weak. whiners will eventually rq and stop keepin up to date with news, then eventaully bam alpha and they wont know and so we wont have to play with these whiners qqing that weapons or lifeforms will be op in an alpha, or thier shotgun wont fire its double barrel etc.
  • Ryo-OhkiRyo-Ohki Join Date: 2009-03-26 Member: 66917Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1760337:date=Mar 21 2010, 05:12 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Mar 21 2010, 05:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760337"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If I were a betting man, which I'm not, but say I were, I'd say the fewer news updates relates to the constant rage that is thrown at them. How to combat that? Just make less news, same amount of rage, that way time is better spent.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If the developers cannot handle disappointment or "rage" from their community, they're in the wrong business. I doubt they're as thin skinned as that. The only effect that criticism from the community seems to have had on the news is an increased desire from UWE to only release polished material. Given that polished material also makes the game more appealing to the wider gaming community, I'd say that's a desirable outcome. Not releasing news because some members of their community don't always like it is poor business sense too; NS2 needs exposure and without releasing news, you'll get very little.

Bear in mind too that for every critical comment the devs receive on these boards, they get at least 1 positive comment back. Usually the ratio in favour of positive comments is much higher than that.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->UWE are splitting the strong from the weak. whiners will eventually rq and stop keepin up to date with news, then eventaully bam alpha and they wont know and so we wont have to play with these whiners qqing that weapons or lifeforms will be op in an alpha, or thier shotgun wont fire its double barrel etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Most of those "whiners" as you say pre-ordered the game. The minute the alpha is released, they'll be downloading it and playing just like the rest of us. Even if they, as you say, "rage-quit" from following the news. Why? Because there will be an email from UWE sitting in their inbox saying "The alpha is starting, here's the information you need to get started".
  • ThrillseekerThrillseeker Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60593Members
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1760369:date=Mar 20 2010, 11:13 PM:name=Thrillseeker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thrillseeker @ Mar 20 2010, 11:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760369"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Boring.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not to me.
  • DupoxDupox Join Date: 2010-02-06 Member: 70455Members
    What about a real good news like an Alpha? Or a Fade picture?.... -_-'

Podcast => boring
  • RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
    edited March 2010
    Interesting. I wonder how they sift through the comments\feedback on what they release news on. Do they completely bypass short, poorly thought out, reflex comments and how great of a comment would it have to be for them to read it thoroughly with consideration? Regardless, I trust they know what they are doing.

Damn, I wish I could have gone to the GDC.
  • rutixrutix Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58208Members
    Interesting podcast. I liked listening to it to hear your discussing ^^
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    Good podcast. I'm glad you guys are paying attention to the goings on of the industry.
    <!--quoteo(post=1760232:date=Mar 19 2010, 11:08 PM:name=zh`)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zh` @ Mar 19 2010, 11:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760232"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->League of Legends is a joke. You might want to look up <a href="http://mobagamers.com/moba-news/102-league-of-legends-a-developers-deathwish.html" target="_blank"> this.</a>
    Also where's the updates for alpha (Summer 2009 (Investor spoiler for release, devs saying it's probably just alpha), Fall 2009 (release also originally, later alpha, then pre-alpha at the last days of fall?), "soon" January 6 2010), engine test ("shortly" March 2, 2010, few bugs to fix March 6 2010). Don't get me wrong, you're doing an awesome job and all but lately your lack of twitters or any info (and if we get anything it's on friday, what happened to midweek tweets?) about something playable/something for us gamers that really don't get the kick out of mapping is getting pretty frustrating.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    TBH this is the first bad thing I've heard about LoL. And since it's coming from a HoN site(a game which I didn't enjoy much) I'm taking it with a huge grain of salt.
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    Going from the most recent list of updates, such as screenshots and in game footage, to an old style podcast is just depressing. It's like you guys are back in the days before NS2 even had anything to show for its progress.

Although I know this isn't true, it's just how it feels.

Secondly, having just bought a Mac (posting from it now!), I'm very happy that Steam is coming to OSX. Hopefully there will be a good selection of Mac compatible games deliverable through Steam once it makes it's debut.
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Join Date: 2003-02-07 Member: 13249Members
    Thank you for the podcast UW. :)

It is enjoyable to hear your inane chatter because game development, like many other forms of artistry, do not exist in a vacuum, devoid of other influences.

May your offices be filled with the sounds of success and joy in one's labour to the eventual fulfillment of our enjoyment with your entertainment medium.

To sum up, those who have a passion for their work produce quality. May you have passion. :)
  • fuyuki359fuyuki359 Join Date: 2008-08-06 Member: 64762Members
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1760368:date=Mar 20 2010, 11:10 PM:name=Ryo-Ohki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryo-Ohki @ Mar 20 2010, 11:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760368"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If the developers cannot handle disappointment or "rage" from their community, they're in the wrong business. I doubt they're as thin skinned as that. The only effect that criticism from the community seems to have had on the news is an increased desire from UWE to only release polished material. Given that polished material also makes the game more appealing to the wider gaming community, I'd say that's a desirable outcome. Not releasing news because some members of their community don't always like it is poor business sense too; NS2 needs exposure and without releasing news, you'll get very little.

Bear in mind too that for every critical comment the devs receive on these boards, they get at least 1 positive comment back. Usually the ratio in favour of positive comments is much higher than that.

Most of those "whiners" as you say pre-ordered the game. The minute the alpha is released, they'll be downloading it and playing just like the rest of us. Even if they, as you say, "rage-quit" from following the news. Why? Because there will be an email from UWE sitting in their inbox saying "The alpha is starting, here's the information you need to get started".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro-->Contents removed by JazzX<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1760397:date=Mar 20 2010, 09:38 PM:name=fuyuki359)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fuyuki359 @ Mar 20 2010, 09:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760397"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro-->Contents removed by JazzX<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Maybe it's just me, but when I'm doing something and a bunch of the folks I'm doing it for keep saying, "Oh that's crap." "That's depressing", "That's boring", it certainly doesn't inspire me to do *more* for these twats.

It inspires me to do a whole helluva lot less.

As I said, maybe that's just me.
  • fuyuki359fuyuki359 Join Date: 2008-08-06 Member: 64762Members
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1760399:date=Mar 21 2010, 04:49 AM:name=Kwil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kwil @ Mar 21 2010, 04:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760399"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe it's just me, but when I'm doing something and a bunch of the folks I'm doing it for keep saying, "Oh that's crap." "That's depressing", "That's boring", it certainly doesn't inspire me to do *more* for these twats.

It inspires me to do a whole helluva lot less.

As I said, maybe that's just me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro-->Contents removed by JazzX<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    most of the people complaining don't wtf they are talking about, and generally just want to play NS1 with better graphics.

the rest of us want NS2.