Post here if you have been playing since October 31st, 2002

Comments

• derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    omg cant remember this times ^^

but i could remember this eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeendless wait
    everyday i checkt the ns site, when its released and always ... nothing.

but then, more and more information leaked and BOOM! there it was :P

and soon after realease sc und cs took me back, but i never ever quit
    with ns :P

and now? - im waiting for ns2 :|
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735739:date=Nov 3 2009, 04:32 AM:name=CplDavis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CplDavis @ Nov 3 2009, 04:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735739"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...
    And EPIC SUPER LOOOOOONG 3 HOUR GAMES
    ...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yes ftw, one ns game after work and go to bed :P
  • PseudoKnightPseudoKnight Join Date: 2002-06-18 Member: 791Members
    <---- join date

<3
  • radforChristradforChrist USA Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6871Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    What was the name of the guy who wrote all the awesome PT stories before release? His stories were the only thing that made the waiting bearable. I know I didn't see him much after release on the forums or in game, but man, those stories got me SO hyped.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1736793:date=Nov 8 2009, 08:34 PM:name=radforChrist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (radforChrist @ Nov 8 2009, 08:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736793"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What was the name of the guy who wrote all the awesome PT stories before release? His stories were the only thing that made the waiting bearable. I know I didn't see him much after release on the forums or in game, but man, those stories got me SO hyped.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was just talking about this the other day and couldn't remember the name either. I'm pretty sure his name started with an "H."
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    It was <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showuser=86" target="_blank">Humbaba</a>, "That Exciting Tales From the Frontline Guy".
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    spikes lerk 1 ability
    +1
    see avatar & sig for +nostalgia
  • BloodyIronBloodyIron Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    nom nom nom tasty humons filling my belly.
  • KarrdeKarrde Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16264Members
    edited November 2009
    Just for laughs - WoL up the turnstyle door....followed by getting your hive sieged right away since the range was such and you didn't need line of sight/ping back then. Also, unlimited jetpack fuel.

*edit*

Heh, my sig still links to the now non-existant FR31NS forums - good times, good times...

Oh and "Hi" @rad4christ
  • romanoromano Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4296Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1728948:date=Sep 26 2009, 10:50 AM:name=PneumaticCrab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PneumaticCrab @ Sep 26 2009, 10:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728948"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I suppose it's time to come clean, I've born this weight on my chest for far too long: in pandas we all cheated. That's right I said it, and it's true. All of us, every single one of us used an aimbot and a wallhack. We had no 'talent,' our only 'talent' was to hide our cheating. There, now you all know the shame that I have been forced to bear for these last, long, hard years. Every night I go to sleep and I wonder, "Am I a bad person?" "Did I do things which are simply unjustifiable?" These questions are not for me to answer, but only time will tell what crop we shall harvest for the terrible seeds we have sown.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You've unleashed our secret onto the world. The only thing better than NS is Canadia.

sYn / eve / pandas / blackmarket / pub allstar / scripter / hacker ... those are my NS memories
  • WirheWirhe Join Date: 2003-06-22 Member: 17610Members
    Missed by a year and haven't really been posting ever since UWE left NS in the crapper. >.>
  • PSAPSA Join Date: 2009-10-21 Member: 69107Members
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1737129:date=Nov 11 2009, 01:40 AM:name=romano)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (romano @ Nov 11 2009, 01:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1737129"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You've unleashed our secret onto the world. The only thing better than NS is Canadia.

sYn / eve / pandas / blackmarket / pub allstar / scripter / hacker ... those are my NS memories<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you were bm? clarify
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    The gorge powered up with 3 hives, could throw some (3) skulks. Not really efficient as it was early version of NS, but damn cool.
  • ToeLToeL Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34675Members
    edited November 2009
    Hera and Bast were the blast during release simply b/c if the marine commander knew what he was doing the marines rarely lost those maps. Relocation to datacore processing to lock down two hives made for 3 hour games. Fades had acid rocket as a secondary ability and bile bomb as 3rd hive... really made play styles different. Going into the vents above datacore and blasting my base and mines with there acid rockets... grr and the obs used 2 res to ping which made sieging difficult at times. I remember those days as a commander...
    Jet pack fuel was based upon framerate, so those who could run 70+ frames would never run out of fuel. Then the HMG was killjoy gun able to mow anything down and instead of a gernade launcher it was a gernade gun with shells 6 instead of 4; was I upset with that change.
    Silent lerk spikes taking out HA never did win the game but sure slowed down a HA march on the refinery hive for Bast.
    Sensory chambers were the fail b/c all they did were parasite marines nearby and if you had sound would trigger a notification that marines were near. Defence always first for the extra damage reduction. If I remember it was 30% per chamber so with 3 chambers your armor absorbed 90% of damage but the HMGs did unGodly damage too.

Where is the NS2 level editor?
  • do0biedo0bie Join Date: 2002-12-22 Member: 11384Members
    I remember dling it that night :) Amazing, 7 years.
  • Cloud_KingCloud_King Join Date: 2002-11-18 Member: 9154Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1737129:date=Nov 10 2009, 05:40 PM:name=romano)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (romano @ Nov 10 2009, 05:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1737129"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You've unleashed our secret onto the world. The only thing better than NS is Canadia.

sYn / eve / pandas / blackmarket / pub allstar / scripter / hacker ... those are my NS memories<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    romano^_^, I got my hard hat on.
  • No_6No_6 Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22841Members, Constellation
    I was there on day one, eagerly installing, searching for servers with under a 200 ping, and even after already reading the manual multiple times still trying to figure out what the hell was going on.
  • PneumaticCrabPneumaticCrab Join Date: 2002-11-28 Member: 10133Members
    Ah yes, those heady days of Natural Selection. The roar of the onos, the charring swoosh of the jetpack's exhaust, the malevolent bang of the buckshot as it assaults the hide of a fade. What glorious and memorable times they were. This, of course, was before I converted to radical Islam and found all of my time dedicated to the pursuits of the global intifada, but that is a story for another time and another post....
  • TerrTerr Arthritic Skulk Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7486Members
    edited November 2009
    Maybe not October 31st, but a day or two later. I pretty much stopped playing around the time all the servers were "Combat" servers. The epicness was lost. But nowadays even more people have voice comms, which will be awesome.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ah yes, those heady days of Natural Selection. The roar of the onos, the charring swoosh of the jetpack's exhaust, the malevolent bang of the buckshot as it assaults the hide of a fade. What glorious and memorable times they were. This, of course, was before I converted to radical Islam and found all of my time dedicated to the pursuits of the global intifada, but that is a story for another time and another post....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    As long as yet not onnah them <b>Kharaa</b> islam types! <spit> Seekin' to sap and impurify all of our precious resourcey fluids!
  • Sephiroth2kSephiroth2k Join Date: 2002-04-21 Member: 481Members, Constellation
    <-------- definitely played it that night.
    It was great! Babblers and all....
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited November 2009
    Nice. Funny fact: I actually downloaded and loaded up a map on October 30st. I accidentally found the game on an FTP. When I first entered the game as an alien, I was like... What the... EH!?
    Never seen anything like it, viewing from the mouth of an alien, running around so fast, climbing walls...

Luck had it, I went to a LAN a week later or so, we played NS a whole damn lot back then.

Oh, how I miss the babblers still. Heh, and all the topics at the forum, begging to bring them back..
    One thing I don't miss: marine bunnyhopping.

---

On a sidenote, people who actually started playing day one should all be constellation members, so if you're not yet - go donate! :D

(EDIT: Oh, and one thing I do really miss around here -- Nemesis_Zero)
  • NoClassNoClass Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8207Members
    Man you guys bring back alot of old memories, making me even more anxious for this to be released.
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    the marines was rly strong .. but gorge rush was awesome !
  • vEtEr4nvEtEr4n Join Date: 2005-01-08 Member: 33883Members
    Reviving this thread with a bump post for the sole purpose of hyping NS2.
  • BabblerBabbler Join Date: 2005-03-15 Member: 45375Members
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    edited July 2010
    Whilst this remains unlocked...

I found my <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=24337&hl=" target="_blank">first thread</a> on the forums from a different account.

I posted that <i>seven and a half years ago</i> and I'm still here :o

I am ashamed by the awful lose/loose typo and saying that I enjoy long games, but redeem myself by calling the fade and shotgun re-design before it happened.

Also, I'm too lazy to transfer the constellation icon from that account to this one.

<i>Seven and a half years.</i>

e/

Was there a forum wipe before that date? I definitely posting before that date, asking for help as my 8Mb voodoo2 was struggline to run the game well.
  • vEtEr4nvEtEr4n Join Date: 2005-01-08 Member: 33883Members
    LOL Voodoo cards, I think I had a 'Hercules' Voodoo, installed on a old dell ... 533mhz pentium2 i think ... lol

Anyway, you should not be ashamed, long games were good and everyone enjoyed them. Lies if anyone tries to deny it!
  • Smart_BombSmart_Bomb I ride the short yellow dropship Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11434Members
  • Smart_BombSmart_Bomb I ride the short yellow dropship Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11434Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1777617:date=Jul 9 2010, 06:19 PM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherpa @ Jul 9 2010, 06:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777617"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Whilst this remains unlocked...

I found my <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=24337&hl=" target="_blank">first thread</a> on the forums from a different account.

I posted that <i>seven and a half years ago</i> and I'm still here :o

I am ashamed by the awful lose/loose typo and saying that I enjoy long games, but redeem myself by calling the fade and shotgun re-design before it happened.

Also, I'm too lazy to transfer the constellation icon from that account to this one.

<i>Seven and a half years.</i>

e/

Was there a forum wipe before that date? I definitely posting before that date, asking for help as my 8Mb voodoo2 was struggline to run the game well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Speaking of things you wish one could forget....
  • SayerSayer Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6094Members
    I was a few days late :( but i can't remember anything of the early days.

fried to many brain cells it seems

Hopefully i remember all of NS2