Post here if you have been playing since October 31st, 2002

Comments

• snooggumssnooggums Join Date: 2009-09-18 Member: 68821Members
    Playing since November 1st 2002, I started the downloaded on the 31st but I had plans that evening and didn't wait for the download to finish.

The best part was the novelty, my first month was played entirely on the Kharaa team as everyone joined the marines. It wasn't until after that month that I got to see the other end of an onos charge.

The current 3.2 version really is the best, hitboxes are much closer to the models (the onos hitbox was it's back end and the fade hitbox only came up to the waist for a long time, that sucked!).

I remember:
    When they had to adjust the hitpoints to make up for the marines being able to actually hit the onos with everyone firing.
    Fades getting stuck in walls when they blinked due to it being teleportation.
    Lerks losing their spikes.
    Gorges losing their babblers :(
    Walls of lame that were actually effective and stackable.
    Resource rate changes all over the place.
    The builder gorge where the rest of the team all saved up for 100 res to overflow.
    The adjustments to structure costs such as the Hive.
    When sensory didn't cloak and was completely useless.
    Being able to teleport as Kharaa.
    The end of 1.04! No more one man jetpack hive killing!
    When turrets were called turrents and were good, then bad, then good then ok.
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    Don't remember balbers but i play since 2003 i think winter or so.
    I remember i was scared from onus as well remember screaming in mic ONUS RUUUUUN !!
    I rember doing oc and dc chambers on top of the hera glass tunnel. and then morphing in onus :D
    Don't remember much but it was huge fun all the time.
  • ThiefThief Ownage Join Date: 2003-08-09 Member: 19214Members, Constellation
    Marines relocating and turtling to buy enough nukes to end the game > babblers
  • StinkyStinky Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63182Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1732075:date=Oct 13 2009, 03:56 PM:name=snooggums)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snooggums @ Oct 13 2009, 03:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732075"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I remember:
    When they had to adjust the hitpoints to make up for the marines being able to actually hit the onos with everyone firing.
    Fades getting stuck in walls when they blinked due to it being teleportation.
    Lerks losing their spikes.
    Gorges losing their babblers :(
    Walls of lame that were actually effective and stackable.
    Resource rate changes all over the place.
    The builder gorge where the rest of the team all saved up for 100 res to overflow.
    The adjustments to structure costs such as the Hive.
    When sensory didn't cloak and was completely useless.
    Being able to teleport as Kharaa.
    The end of 1.04! No more one man jetpack hive killing!
    When turrets were called turrents and were good, then bad, then good then ok.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Such fond memories of better times...

... -sniff-
  • KittamaruKittamaru Join Date: 2006-09-18 Member: 58017Members
    OH my god... I remember it all... my first time playing in 1.04...

I was so excited... I jumped off the infantry portal and picked up a shotgun and a welder laying on the floor. I patched up a teammates armor and headed for the doorway out of marine start- map was, I believe, ns_taranis or something (one of the old old school maps with the double doors leading from MS)

I stepped up to the door just as it opened... and promptly fell out of my seat as a huge space rhino screamed in my face! I didn't even have time to get off a shot before I was paralyzed and gored to death. Scared the living ###### out of me it did!

Oh babblers... how I miss them! Fades blinking into (and thru if you were good) walls... onos with paralyze instead of this ghetto ###### stomp... lerks with spikes... fades with bile bomb... onos without devour!!! Paralyzed JP's taking fall damage... oh it was so sweet...
  • KittamaruKittamaru Join Date: 2006-09-18 Member: 58017Members
    edited October 2009
  • Rico1Rico1 NS Oldtimer Join Date: 2002-05-24 Member: 664Members
    Played NS the minute it was released, and followed it for a few months before that :-P

Main thing I remember about release night: LAG!

Oh and I seem to remember flying on jetpacks for the entirety of 1.04 for some reason. Oh and yes, WOL were terrible as a marine. *walks around corner to be webbed, and shot by 100000 OC's which are regenerating health faster than you can shoot*

I really miss NS. I can't wait for NS2, I just hope it sticks to the original gameplay rather than "combat" which is when I decided to quit, since it was no longer even close to the same game as before ;-(
  • TheKillingTreeTheKillingTree Join Date: 2003-09-14 Member: 20866Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1729724:date=Sep 29 2009, 10:23 PM:name=Kodiac)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kodiac @ Sep 29 2009, 10:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729724"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can't say that I've been playing since Oct. 31, but I can say I've been playing since thanksgiving of that year, when my brother (JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt, or Immortal11 as he was originally) came back from Michigan Tech raving about this game he'd found . . .

The three brothers, me, Asal the Unforgiving, and Immortal11. Those were the days.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I remember Asal and Immortal! haha.

The best was in 1.04 the half day long matches. Literally hours long. I remember logging in to one game early morning then went to school, came back and it was still going. Ridiculous.

Can't wait for this to come out...

Come on flay >< you are killing me, and usually I'm the one doing the killing!
  • StewieStewie Join Date: 2003-08-03 Member: 18795Members
    I started playing so long ago I don't even remember starting playing.
  • SeikedenSeikeden Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5443Members
    yo. reporting for duty.
  • ZephyrYHKZephyrYHK Join Date: 2004-04-23 Member: 28130Members
    i've lurked these forums for too long, lol.

'04, reporting in.
  • KleenexKleenex Join Date: 2009-09-28 Member: 68896Members
    I've played since day 1 but I can't remember for the life of me what a babbler is?
  • PSAPSA Join Date: 2009-10-21 Member: 69107Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1733302:date=Oct 21 2009, 10:25 PM:name=Kleenex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kleenex @ Oct 21 2009, 10:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733302"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've played since day 1 but I can't remember for the life of me what a babbler is?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What. How can anyone forget the glory that is babblers.

Also, gorges bilebomb wasn't really any different than the fades acidrocket, and at that point the game was over anyways.

And killing the gorge in the first 2 minutes or so was like, garaunteed victory for the marines.

I also miss the super old Eclipse, before they changed it like 30 times.

Oh, also, signing in.
  • vEtEr4nvEtEr4n Join Date: 2005-01-08 Member: 33883Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1733340:date=Oct 21 2009, 08:17 PM:name=PSA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PSA @ Oct 21 2009, 08:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733340"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I also miss the super old Eclipse, before they changed it like 30 times.

Oh, also, signing in.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hell yes, old Eclipse with doors! Me want doors.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1733340:date=Oct 22 2009, 02:17 AM:name=PSA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PSA @ Oct 22 2009, 02:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733340"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, gorges bilebomb wasn't really any different than the fades acidrocket, and at that point the game was over anyways.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Except that Bile Bomb was also a fade attack. Which meant even more redundancy...
  • ShootMeShootMe Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28016Members
    edited October 2009
    I’m not that old, been playing since 1.03.

I miss the puss off you would receive when you would exit a phase gate. Whatever version it was it would puss you off the phase game after you phased, always in the same direction. Without realizing it I placed a phase gate on the railing in generator room on ns_nothing, most of the team phased in to take it from the aliens and were all pushed down the pit. Best commander view ever.
  • Silver_FoxSilver_Fox Spammer Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 34Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    /post

Though, I was playing quite a bit before then too. ;)
  • CattablissCattabliss Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66803Members
    I don't think many of us more "casual" gamers actually remember when we first started, but it was a long time ago..

I do remember the old sexy marine crosshairs though :)
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    I played on on that night in 2002
  • AhnteisAhnteis teh Bob Join Date: 2002-10-02 Member: 1405Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1732075:date=Oct 13 2009, 03:56 PM:name=snooggums)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snooggums @ Oct 13 2009, 03:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732075"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I remember:
    ...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nah, you only had to save to 33 or something. You couldn't get up to 100 res until 3 hives. There were different resource pool limits based on hives. :)

But if you evolved too soon, you'd slow down the 2nd hive for the whole team. And 2 gorges? Insanity!
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    i was there.. anybody else is here that played 1-2 hours before the actuall release, with the server release? remember when we found out in IRC that you could play a few levels with the server release,. just before the client release came out and we went into the server where flayra and other devs played? and they kind of showed us around? that was really the most awesome game experience i ever had.
  • NessNess Join Date: 2002-12-17 Member: 10935Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Babblers were terrible
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Items didn't cost multiples of 5 back then. That was a little strange, what was it? 9 for a shotgun, 17 for a turret?
  • shoestershoester Join Date: 2003-10-30 Member: 22147Members
    Been playing since release.

Also was in the veteran program. So i really am a true vet.
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1727796:date=Sep 18 2009, 12:12 AM:name=vEtEr4n)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vEtEr4n @ Sep 18 2009, 12:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727796"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you know what babblers are and know how to use them, post here.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This should be a "If you know what welder-wars were (NSTR)" post ;)
  • MormyMormy Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69155Members
    veteran playing it since it came out when i was 13
  • BluePhishBluePhish Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24364Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Turretwallzzzzzzz!!!! O_o\m/
  • persoperso Join Date: 2003-02-19 Member: 13740Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2009
    I've been playing almost since release, somewhere early 2003 I reckon (based on my join date). Must have been ns 1.04 though. IIRC ns_tanith was my first ns experience. :) And I still remember the old ns_eclipse with its cramped marine start. Good times. ^^

edit: I do know what babblers were so I think my post was justified ;) (let alone lerk spikes, those were terrible)
  • Fall0utFall0ut Join Date: 2003-09-18 Member: 20988Members, Constellation
  • savage^savage^ Join Date: 2009-08-26 Member: 68611Members
    edited October 2009
    I've been playing since 1.04. I wonder when that was... half a year later?

The babblers were terrible, but I never thought lerk spikes were that bad. I remember being really annoyed by them as a marine!

Man... the old maps where you could do stupid stuff like siege a hive from marine base, or relocate to a vent. So much fun. My memories of those days are so great I am actually glorifying the rough edges the game had back then. That means a game is just the awesomest :)

Edit: By the way, I was 15 at the time.