Metamod 1.17.0a And Ns 3.0 Beta3

LethyLethy Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7666Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">libstdc++.so.5 errors.</div> I'm trying to use the custom Metamod 1.17.0a available from the thread on modns.org right <a href='http://www.modns.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=237&st=0' target='_blank'>here</a>. I can't see what's wrong with how I've got it set up, I've tried using both the metamod_i386.so and the metamod_i386b.so that's contained in the zip file and both won't work for me. I do not believe it's a library issue as Metamod 1.17 works fine with 2.01 on the same machine and I have the libstdc++2.10 and libstdc++3 debian packages installed.

The machine being used is Debian 3.0r1. Quoted below will are the liblist.gam edits I've made and the crash results for both metamod_i386.so and metamod_i386b.so from the 1.17.0a zip. Anyone got any ideas?

<b>metamod_i386b.so</b><!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->// Using HPB_bot support for now
gamedll "dlls\ns.dll"
gamedll_linux "dlls/metamod_i386b.so"
// gamedll_linux "dlls/ns_i386.so"<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->retribution:/home/lethy/hlds_l# ./hlds_run -game nsp +map ns_veil +ip 192.168.0.1 -pid -debug
Auto detecting CPU
Using Pentium II Optimised binary.
Enabling debug mode
Auto-restarting the server on crash

Console initialized.
Protocol version 47
Exe version 1.1.2.0/Stdio (valve)
Exe build: 14:14:09 Feb  4 2004 (2659)
STEAM Auth Server
couldn't exec language.cfg
Server IP address 192.168.0.1:27015
LoadLibrary failed on ./nsp/dlls/metamod_i386.so: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Host_Error: Couldn't get DLL API from ./nsp/dlls/metamod_i386.so!
FATAL ERROR (shutting down): Host_Error: Couldn't get DLL API from ./nsp/dlls/metamod_i386.so!

debug.cmds:1: Error in sourced command file:
Cannot access memory at address 0xbfffe210
email debug.log to linux@valvesoftware.com
Tue Feb 17 17:21:41 EST 2004: Server restart in 10 seconds
Tue Feb 17 17:21:43 EST 2004: Server Quit<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<b>metamod_i386.so</b><!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->// Using HPB_bot support for now
gamedll "dlls\ns.dll"
gamedll_linux "dlls/metamod_i386.so"
// gamedll_linux "dlls/ns_i386.so"<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->retribution:/home/lethy/hlds_l# ./hlds_run -game nsp +map ns_veil +ip 192.168.0.1 -pid -debug
Auto detecting CPU
Using Pentium II Optimised binary.
Enabling debug mode
Auto-restarting the server on crash

Console initialized.
Protocol version 47
Exe version 1.1.2.0/Stdio (valve)
Exe build: 14:14:09 Feb  4 2004 (2659)
STEAM Auth Server
couldn't exec language.cfg
Server IP address 192.168.0.1:27015
LoadLibrary failed on ./nsp/dlls/metamod_i386.so: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Host_Error: Couldn't get DLL API from ./nsp/dlls/metamod_i386.so!
FATAL ERROR (shutting down): Host_Error: Couldn't get DLL API from ./nsp/dlls/metamod_i386.so!

debug.cmds:1: Error in sourced command file:
Cannot access memory at address 0xbfffe210
email debug.log to linux@valvesoftware.com
Tue Feb 17 17:22:19 EST 2004: Server restart in 10 seconds
Tue Feb 17 17:22:23 EST 2004: Server Quit<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Comments

• joevjoev Giving grief... With a smile. Join Date: 2002-07-20 Member: 977Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--c1--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>CODE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='CODE'><!--ec1-->LoadLibrary failed on ./nsp/dlls/metamod_i386.so: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory<!--c2--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--ec2-->

Resolve that and all should be well.

(i.e. try creating a symlink named libstdc++.so.5 in /usr/lib to your real libstdc++ v 3 .so - whatever that's named...)

joev.
  • ShockehShockeh If a packet drops on the web and nobody&#39;s near to see it... Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9336NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    A lot of people also dont' have Libdcc+ installed, as it's not a standard package (and I believe, although I can't remember the package was found in testing, not in stable) so you may need to hunt around.
  • LethyLethy Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7666Members, Constellation
    I tried the symlink to the following libs contained in /usr/lib:<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->libstdc++-3-libc6.1-2-2.10.0.so
    libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so
    libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3
    libstdc++-libc6.2-2.a.3
    libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
    libstdc++.so.3
    libstdc++.so.3.0.4<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

With all of those I do get a different error then the one before, it's now:<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->LoadLibrary failed on ./nsp/dlls/metamod_i386.so: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by ./nsp/dlls/metamod_i386.so)<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can only see libstdc versions with GLIBC up to 2.2, I'm assuming this means I have to compile new stdc library with glibc2.3 or am I way off mark?
  • ShockehShockeh If a packet drops on the web and nobody&#39;s near to see it... Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9336NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Yes. I had to get 2.3
  • joevjoev Giving grief... With a smile. Join Date: 2002-07-20 Member: 977Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ah yes..

That version of metamod is linked against glibc 2.3... So therefore you are left with 2 choices.. update your glibc (always a risky proposition unless you absolutely *have* to do it) or don't run that build of Metamod...

I saw that build of MM recently and some lame 'technical' excuse as to why it's built with glibc2.3... The simple reason is lazy programmers. It's not a technical problem at all. They are either too lazy or not clued in enough to build it with the right tools/environment.

For example, HLDS is built on GCC 2.95.3, Glibc 2.1... NS is also built on this rig (to match what VALVe use for HLDS).

Metamod and all it's plugins *should* really be built on a similar platform to ensure upward compatability. (i.e. if HLDS runs on your system you can be assured that NS will run...)

If someone has a source zip with all the necessary bits and want's to supply it to me I can build MM on the same rig I use to build the Linux NS server (which is a duplicate of the rig that Alfred Reynolds uses to build HLDS) so that you can be assured cross compatibility.

I'm 99.8% sure that Will Day also has a mirror of VALVe's build environment for doing official releases of MM... Perhaps it'd be a good idea to get in touch with him and see when the next official MM release will be...

joev.
  • LethyLethy Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7666Members, Constellation
    Ahh ok, I get it now.

Did a bit more searching and it seems some others have already compiled versions with different glib versions. They can be found in the thread <a href='http://www.modns.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=236' target='_blank'>here</a> on modns. Personally I used TromPT's version and it seems to be fine so far.