Win32 Server Ns Hlds Crashes On Map Change

dexiondexion Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5339Members
edited January 2004 in Win32 Server Support
Hi,

I have 5 hlds servers running one of which is ns 3.0. It appears to from time to time crash (actually no errors at all the window just closes) on some map changes. There is no pattern it just does...doesn't matter which map or game type sometimes it makes it through several maps sometimes not...is this like the dod error where if there was a private (in this case, nsplayer) in the server at map changes it would end the task?

Just curious if anyone has seen this...

All 4 other servers run without a hitch for weeks at a time. I am finding I have to relaunch the ns server 5 times a day. I am not complaining I realize it is a beta, I just would like to have a constructive dialog about the problem.

dex

server specs

3.2 p4 ht
1gig ram
raid 1 array
windows 2000 standard server

nothing odd about it actually...

dex

Comments

• EKSEKS Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2790Members
    I have a p4 box running 2 NS servers.

The server running NS maps only never seems to crash. But the server running combat only seems to crash about once a day. I havent realy checked the logs, as 1 crash a day is not all that bad.

btw my server is running metamod & amx.

Just run your server as a service, and you should be fine. And lets see what fixies beta 2 is going to have.
  • dexiondexion Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5339Members
    yeah I am...it emptys out the server and it takes a bit for them to come back...bummer.

I forgot to mention. I run no plugins at the moment until it is stable.

Has anyone found a good auto team balance plugin? As in if 2 marines leave and it is 11 to 13, it will AUTOSWITCH one over to the marine side from the aliens making it 12 to 12.

just wondering...
    edited January 2004
    www.modns.org has that.
    i actually have that in my favorites...I haven't seen that mod tho...can you supply a link?
    I could not find the link. I was so sure there was a metamod plugin that does this.

Personaly i dont like it moving players. But rather making sure that joining player move the right team.
    And im making a amx plugin to do this. When its done, it should not be all hard to move players to.
  • voogruvoogru Naturally Modified (ex. NS programmer) Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1827Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    I have been getting server crashes too, ran without mods as well to see if it was something I was doing, and it still crashed.

It always has crashed for me here:

<!--c1--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>CODE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='CODE'><!--ec1-->L 01/30/2004 - 11:47:18: Game reset complete.
    First-chance exception in hlds.exe (NS.DLL): 0xC0000005: Access Violation.<!--c2--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--ec2-->

Which is executed on map change and when a new game starts, it seems to only happen if I change the maps and as long as its on the same map things SEEM okay.
    <!--QuoteBegin-voogru+Jan 30 2004, 06:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (voogru @ Jan 30 2004, 06:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I have been getting server crashes too, ran without mods as well to see if it was something I was doing, and it still crashed.

<!--c1--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>CODE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='CODE'><!--ec1-->L 01/30/2004 - 11:47:18: Game reset complete.
    First-chance exception in hlds.exe (NS.DLL): 0xC0000005: Access Violation.<!--c2--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--ec2-->

Which is executed on map change and when a new game starts, it seems to only happen if I change the maps and as long as its on the same map things SEEM okay. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I searched my logs for that and nothing.
    update..

installed beta 1 to 2 dedicated server patch...
    now i don't make it through a map at all. The ns server just goes unresponsive....the hlds window stays up but it is unable to be affected other than minimizing and maxing. It never shuts down I have to close it manually and restart it. All other hldses are still running cs,dod,ios they are fine.. I don't even see a high usage for cpu it just plain stops.

I am going to try to get another beta 1 install and put it on and see if I have some type of corruption...
    dex
  • CheesyPetezaCheesyPeteza Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9784Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-EKS+Jan 30 2004, 04:03 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (EKS @ Jan 30 2004, 04:03 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I could not find the link. I was so sure there was a metamod plugin that does this.

Personaly i dont like it moving players. But rather making sure that joining player move the right team.
    And im making a amx plugin to do this. When its done, it should not be all hard to move players to. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Set:

mp_limitteams 1
    mp_limitteams IS 1 but this does nothing for when people leave a game already in progress and no one will join the team down men...

still having random lockups with the ns hlds others are fine...
  • CheesyPetezaCheesyPeteza Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9784Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    I was talking to EKS. Thats why I quoted his message then wrote mine below his.
  • voogruvoogru Naturally Modified (ex. NS programmer) Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1827Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-EKS+Jan 30 2004, 03:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (EKS @ Jan 30 2004, 03:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-voogru+Jan 30 2004, 06:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (voogru @ Jan 30 2004, 06:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I have been getting server crashes too, ran without mods as well to see if it was something I was doing, and it still crashed.

Which is executed on map change and when a new game starts, it seems to only happen if I change the maps and as long as its on the same map things SEEM okay. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I searched my logs for that and nothing. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I run in debug. That wouldnt appear in the logs.
    urs still running poopily voogru?

i make it through some maps but at random times itll just lock....