Segmentation Error

Edd1Edd1 Join Date: 2003-12-25 Member: 24748Members
<div class="IPBDescription">defeat...</div> After searching these and the official steam forums for days, I am admitting defeat. I cannot get my server to run ns.

It will run cs, tfc and all other mods, but not ns.

I used a clean hlds_l_1120_full.bin, installed v2 with ns_v2_dedicated_server.zip (didnt use -a) then updated with ns-v201.zip Then hldsupdatetool.bin was used to update.

The error I get is...

<!--c1--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>CODE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='CODE'><!--ec1-->./hlds_run: line 412:  1673 Segmentation fault      $HL_CMD<!--c2--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--ec2-->

I tried adding a -debug but the debug.log contains nothing but the command used to start the server.

Two versions of ns-v201 have been tried. I have tried many different commands to start the server, with screen, without, without ip, port etc but I still get the error.

I'm not running any extra mods so all the advice about amx is useless.

The server spec is p2 400, 256mb ram, mandrake 9.1.

please help me!

Edd

Comments

• VadakillVadakill The Almighty BSO Join Date: 2002-04-02 Member: 373Members, NS1 Playtester
    While it won't affect if your server runs or not the P II 400 is a little underpowered. I think once you get the system up and running you will want to upgrade.

Are you using the steam version of half-life server or are you using the 3.1.1.1 or 3.1.1.0 servers?
  • Edd1Edd1 Join Date: 2003-12-25 Member: 24748Members
    I'm using the steam server. I was only going to run a 4 or 6 player server for a few mates, two of whom will connect via lan.

thanks for the help

Edd
  • LumpyLumpy Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20026Members
    A google search of ./hlds_run: line 412: results in ./hlds_run: line 412: 8547 which claims a corrupted or missing binary. Though not exactly your error it may be close. You did try the other binaries though which sorta blows that idea away.

The only other thing I can think of is the liblist.gam is possibly referencing the binary incorrectly, or somehow has another entry referencing a missing binary.

I'm also somewhat curious at what point this error comes up. I can't guarantee it'll help but possibly pasting the whole console from start to that error?
  • Edd1Edd1 Join Date: 2003-12-25 Member: 24748Members
    In case this makes a difference, the server was originally installed in usr/steam/hlds_l/ but I had all kinds of problems with chmod'ing files, so its now installed in home/edd/hlds_l/

This is when I start the server as a user (edd) with <!--c1--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>CODE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='CODE'><!--ec1-->./hlds_run -game ns +map ns_eclipse +maxplayers 4<!--c2--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--ec2-->

<!--c1--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>CODE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='CODE'><!--ec1-->
    [edd@localhost hlds_l]$ ./hlds_run -game ns +map ns_eclipse +maxplayers 4
    Auto detecting CPU
    Using Pentium II Optimised binary.
    Auto-restarting the server on crash

Console initialized.
    scandir failed:/home/edd/hlds_l/./valve/SAVE
    scandir failed:/home/edd/hlds_l/./platform/SAVE
    Protocol version 47
    Exe version 1.1.2.0/Stdio (valve)
    Exe build: 12:18:09 Nov 20 2003 (2583)
    STEAM Auth Server
    couldn't exec language.cfg
    Server IP address loopback
    scandir failed:/home/edd/hlds_l/./valve/SAVE
    scandir failed:/home/edd/hlds_l/./platform/SAVE
    ./hlds_run: line 412:  1457 Segmentation fault      $HL_CMD
    Add "-debug" to the ./hlds_run command line to generate a debug.log to help with solving this problem
    Sun Dec 28 23:56:00 GMT 2003: Server restart in 10 seconds
    <!--c2--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--ec2-->

The same happens if I try running as root, using screen or with any extra params like ip, exec, noipx etc

Hope this helps
  • LumpyLumpy Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20026Members
    The closest thing I can find is on the steam forums where users were getting seg faults with plugins but a new version of metamod fixed that. It also seems that deleting custom.hpk was a temporary fix also. I know you stated you don't have any plugins so I doubt this would work, but you may want to try it. It's the closest thing I can find dealing with nonsensical seg errors. Each game has its own custom.hpk so if it's the culprit it at least explains why your other mods work.
  • GoPeDeRiCkGoPeDeRiCk Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14742Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Server IP address loopback<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+ip 1.2.3.4

But thats not the problem, the problem is in a config file or sumthing cuz it gets passed everything else.. probly in the .steam folder. I suggest you delete the entier user folder that hlds_l is in. Undo a whole new bin file in /usr/steam/ get the tar and un tar it. make sure u delete the usr folder cuz for some un known reason valve has a folder that is made out side of the hlds_l folder after you update steam... this is where i think the problem is. kthxbi.