Level editing for natural selection

nuclear_wastenuclear_waste Join Date: 2002-02-12 Member: 201Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Some things that i don't understand....</div>People, I have some questions.
You are releasing files for mapers but how will I see my map in the game IF I DON'T HAVE IT??? (Natural Selection)

Please explain, I'm new around here.....

THIS MOD will ROCK

Comments

• doctopepadoctopepa Join Date: 2002-01-26 Member: 99Members
    if you have halflife, worldcraft and nstr u can compile and run maps. just like making a hl map, only a few extra features (very cool ones)
  • MonsieurEvilMonsieurEvil Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 4Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Anticipation is the watchword. 6 hours to go.
  • TowersTowers Join Date: 2002-01-26 Member: 100Members
    ok is the ns editing thing (Can't remember its proper name) an editing program like worldcraft or do i need to run it through worldcraft? I have been following this game for ages now and i think i wanna try out some mapping.
  • MerkabaMerkaba Digital Harmony Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 22Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester
    The technology release simply includes the fundamental Natural Selection code for things like the commander mode view, and the particle system. It also includes the FGD file for Worldcraft (which contains all the extra entity information needed to map with in NS), and Natural Selection's .wad file.
  • MoleculorMoleculor Namer-of-Bob Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 9Members
    Ok, here's how it works. You edit the map in Worldcraft or QuArK, using the FGD or QRK file. Use the NS.Wad file for your textures, or make your own. DON'T use the HL textures.

Once you've compiled your map, you'll want to run it in the NSTR, or the Natural Selection Technology release. It's like the NS mod, but without most of the cool stuff. But it will let you look at your maps as if you were in the NS mod itself.
    Thanks a lot dude. That helped a ton.
    To newbies:
    Just download worldcraft and play around for a while.
    Make a few maps for halflife, read some useful information on some interesting homepages, improve and THEN you can begin to atleast think about mapping for NS. I sure as hell can't handle it yet...
    I got used to making maps for Half Life although my texturing was crap. I wanna try out messing around with all the bits and bobs that NS can do and see if i can manage to make anything that resembles a NS map.
  • pielemuispielemuis Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 72Members, NS1 Playtester
    careful boys, many have failed making a NS-map, they lost their minds, went berserk and were never heard of before, tales come to us from over the sea 'bout great wizzards like Merkaba and Relic.
    well, if you wanna try, the new version of NSTR is OUT!!
  • ChromeAngelChromeAngel Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 14Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    The new commander mode is <b>much</b> easier to work with.  This should make NS more 'newbie mapper' friendly than it used to be.
  • MerkabaMerkaba Digital Harmony Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 22Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester
    The new commander mode is VERY easy to rack up r_speeds on though. A large amount of consideration has to be put into the layout and the general construction of the map.