New Lag Problem

MajinMajin Join Date: 2003-05-29 Member: 16829Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">I need some advice!</div> I am having a Lag problem, but mine is a REAL lag problem.
Even sence I got my new computer.
This is something wrong with my cable and card obviously, its not just ingame.
Anyone know where I can get some help? Please PM me not just post in here! Coil I know you work in this stuff so if you have help please PM me.

<u>My new computer specs</u>

Pentium 4 2.4GHz 533MHz FSB
256MBs DDRSD RAM PC 2100
GF4 ti 4600 128MBs DDRSD RAM
Asus x533 MB
10/100MBs ethernet card running off a 255+ Cable Modem
Windows 2000 Pro SP(4)
Keiro FireWall
Norton Antivirus 2000

My connection in games has been spiking like MADNESS
on server where i use to get 30-70 Ping I am now getting 200-900 ping.
Anyone know of a thread where I can read how to fix this stuff?
My rate is 99999.0000 and my MAX_FPS is set at 100.
I get great FPS 60-100 but the lag is killing me.
I use ASE to find my servers.

Heres an Idea of how bad the lag is now.
The lunixmonster use to show as having a ping on ASE of 60ms now it shows 225ms

Please PM me not just post in here

Thanks
Majin

Comments

• MajinMajin Join Date: 2003-05-29 Member: 16829Members, Constellation
    See what happens Nem, there are so many webbed threads that no one even bothers to read tech anymore.
  • ElvenThiefElvenThief aka Elven Thief (ex. NS Programmer) Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8754Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    Majin, please refrain from assuming you're going to get an instant response. Especially when it involves posting the same thing to multiple forums. (additionally, the stickied posts were monse's work to assist in cutting down of spam of already fixed problems).

1) Disable your firewall / windows xp built in firewall and disable QoS Scheduling. You'll find them in the properties of your network card.

2) cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate are 2 variables that might want to be tweaked. I'd probably put them at around 40-60 on your cable

3) Test a different wire/ different computer/ different ethernet card/ different driver.

Your post says little more than just saying "I lag" . Include some tests or specifics on the network itself. Is there a router involved or is it only the card and cable modem you listed?

If you're able to try a different computer and it pings just as bad, you might have a bad wire or your cable company might have decided to mess up somehow.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

now more things to play with:

net_graph 3

choke, loss, ping, what are they?

<a href='http://www.dslreports.com/tools' target='_blank'>http://www.dslreports.com/tools</a>

use the speed and tweak tests
  • taboofirestaboofires Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9853Members
    edited September 2003
    I am also having problems on linuxmonster (where I should ping about 40, minimal choke, but get around 80 ping and 20 choke) and other servers since the 2.01 final patch. Even in 2.01e beta I had no problems, so something has changed since then (and my hardware is exactly the same, and so is my config). It might not be a client-side problem, but rather server-side or code-based.

edit: just notice you said "My rate is 99999.0000." That's really high. Even for LAN games it shouldn't be set much higher than 10k. It may not be the cause of your lag, however, since most servers ignore you if you put too high a number and just pretend it's like 8000.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    taboo, please don't piggy back on posts, it just mkaes it hard for us

especialy b/c you included no info what so ever (look through the responses) and also give us sys specs
  • taboofirestaboofires Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9853Members
    I didn't intend to piggyback, sorry. I didn't need help either, but I just wanted to offer some places to look for the problem.

More specifically, I should have suggested finding a server that had a slightly older 2.0 or one of the first 2.01 betas, and see if the experianced the same problems. That, of course, could be a little rough.
    well to do that use all seeing eye