Can Nortonav Crash My Server?

DepotDepot The ModFather Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Server/computer crash</div> When I awoke this morning my computer was frozen, and the NortonAV box was on the screen (my hlds runs 24/7). I rebooted and checked both the server logs and NortonAV scanning history. At about the same time the scheduled virus scan begun, the server stopped logging so I assume this was the reason my computer froze. Does this make sense? Or was the timing coincidental? How does NortonAV Pro 2003 affect the operation of a half life dedicated server (Auto Protect enabled, Taske Scheduler enabled, Live Updates enabled)?

Comments

• ZyfuloXZyfuloX Join Date: 2003-08-14 Member: 19711Members
    I run Symantec AV Corporate Edition on my Win2003 server box; however, I have Auto-Protect disabled. Virus patterns update daily + full scan daily at 5:00am. I haven't seen any problem with the interaction with HLDS.exe though.
  • modiemodie Join Date: 2003-02-19 Member: 13758Members, Constellation
    ZyfuloX - are you running the web version or the standard version of w2k3?
    <!--QuoteBegin--modie+Aug 22 2003, 01:25 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (modie @ Aug 22 2003, 01:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> ZyfuloX - are you running the web version or the standard version of w2k3? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is the full, Standard version (i.e., not a demo, not a crack).
  • eagleceaglec Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9948Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Can Nortonav Crash My Server?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes.

My personal (and profesional) opinion of Norton software over the last seven years is that in general they're buggy p.o.s.

They do have some excellent marketing though so many people end up paying for them to do another buggy p.o.s. the following year.

Virus scanners by their nature are very invasive of the computer systems and norton have never really made an attempt to reduce this. They're not the only anti-virus vendor to fall foul of this by a long shot to be fair and any antivirus software (any software at all) has the ability to cause windows to crash.

A complete freeze with windows stuck on its last frame is a bit different to a normal blue screen of death type crash and it could be that your CPU overheated, your drive system failed (you hdd would have been thrashed during the scan) or your memory is dodgey. It could also be nothing to worry about and never happen again.
    Note that you might consider getting ahold of SAV Corporate Edition rather than the Pro 2003 consumer version. Like most software, the corporate versions tend to be more reliable than the consumer line. We use Symantec AV Corporate Server to manage our 500+ clients here at work, and have had very few issues...