Nobuild Zone, Strange Problem.

dignomedignome Join Date: 2003-08-04 Member: 18853Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
edited August 2003 in Mapping Forum
I have a func_nobuild 1 block thick next to a solid floor. Ex: -_____---- - == solid floor | _ == func_nobuild
It is perfectly level with the non nobuild floor.

Problem:

When players move from the solid floor to the func_nobuild floor it will slow them down, then make them move in a jittery fashion. I also tried using a func_illusionary with the nobuild texture on it to try and get around this....the commander could still place stuff there.

Any help appreciated.

(Only need to do my readyroom and have this fixed ;p)

Comments

• amckernamckern Join Date: 2003-03-03 Member: 14249Members, Constellation
    no buils are like that

only way u could fix it, might be to place a funk_wall above the be build, that way, the commander, might not able to build on it

also, funk_watter, u can not build on as well, so may be place a funk_seethrough, render mode 0 for both, an a water brusher under it

amckern
  • dignomedignome Join Date: 2003-08-04 Member: 18853Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    wow. now that is some creativity.

thank you very much.
  • minskminsk Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12077Members
    Hmm, Spook and I have been trying combinations on that and can't reproduce any jitters. We're probably doing something completely different than you are... any chance of getting a 30-second MAP that exhibits the problem?

(we're working on a map that'll have some pretty significant nobuild areas, so bugs'd be good to avoid beforehand)
  • Lt_GravityLt_Gravity Join Date: 2003-04-28 Member: 15909Members
    the problem is really of the weird kind. no matter in how high u place the func_nobuild over the ground: the commander will never be able to build in the covered area. but aliens still can because for gorges you have to place the entity exactl where they shouldnt be able to build anything. and one more: place func_nobuild where you want but resnodes will EVER be buildable, even if u cover the entire area. why is func_nobuild not like a trigger_nobuild instead? the solid style makes it hard to place them sometimes. ok I admid an entity that has nobuild AND clip all in one is cool but sometimes it isnt necessary...
  • OlljOllj our themepark-stalking nightmare Fade Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10696Members
    Wasnt func_nobuild neutral to the z-axis so you place your func_nobuild below the map in the void making everything above a nobuild zone?

Best nobuild way is a func_button that does not move, even gorges cant build on that.
  • SpookSpook Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18542Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Wasnt func_nobuild neutral to the z-axis so you place your func_nobuild below the map in the void making everything above a nobuild zone?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nope, that was one of last night's random tests to see if I could reproduce dignome's problem. Tried pretty much every possible setup for the func_nobuild, and when it was under the floor it was completely ignored. You cannot build on or through a func_nobuild brush, but you can build on anything above it.