Beyond Sof

KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
<div class="IPBDescription">There's more to life than wallhacks</div> I've been experimenting the past few days, and I think I've come to prefer the Cloak upgrade to the SoF upgrade when my team-mates go sensory first.

Sure, SoF lets me know when they're coming, but lets face it, those marines are noisy critters. Often you can tell they're coming with some good lead time anyway.

Nothing quite like sitting on the roof above a resource nozzle in a place where they recently took out a sensory so think it's safe. They drop the resource tower, you drop on a nearby head. Also, the vent that leads to powersilo (don't remember the map name) by crossing the floor of a hallway is a great place for cloaked skulks. I had lunch crawl right up to me the other day. I don't think I even needed the second bite, I'd probably scared the poor bugger to death. After that they got smarter and started shooting into it before entering. Unfortunately, I had taken up a spot in the other vent, and got lunch from behind. Next came bouncing grenades into both vents before entering.

But by that time I was on the ceiling of the hallway. I think it would have worked too, if one of them hadn't been a bad shot with the GL and dropped it in the middle of the hallway instead of in the vent itself. Ah well, it was fun while it lasted.

But besides that, Cloak is about the only way to do a proper ambush these days thanks to the marine's mini-map.

What I'd like to see:
Scanner Sweep > Cloak Upgrade > Observatory > Chamber cloak.

Of course, ideally what I'd like to see is a fade-in/fade-out time (like the chamber cloak) implemented for the upgrade, instead of just the "you move, you're visible" type we have now. Thus a 3rd level cloak upgrade could move very slowly (ie, slower than walk-speed) while remaining cloaked.

Comments

• laggerlagger Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1805Members
    I would try setting up an ambush and instead of having them walk past you, attack in a decisive manner and as fast as possible. When a marine pass's the choke point, dont wait for him to walk a few steps fall down right away. This gives the marine little to no time to check his mini-map or react. In an ambush spot you can even turn the corner before he gets to you in a surprise ambush, it still gives the defending marines little reactions time before they are lunch. Used with celerity and maybe a silence flanker it can be a very efficent tactic.
  • SilverSurfieSilverSurfie Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19597Members
    rather be cloaked by an SC and drop on their heads biting.
  • NicatorNicator Join Date: 2002-12-15 Member: 10829Members
    Cloak can't replace SoF for killing groups of marines.
  • DeathPookyDeathPooky Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3037Members
    edited August 2003
    <!--QuoteBegin--Nicator+Aug 15 2003, 03:19 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Nicator @ Aug 15 2003, 03:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Cloak can't replace SoF for killing groups of marines. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I couldn't agree more. Cloak is great for taking out a single marine, but once you've lost the element of surprise, you're screwed if there's more still there. I try to use SoF and get *both* the element of surprise and strategy to take out a group, I've never been able to do that with cloak unless the marines aren't good.
  • Link1Link1 Join Date: 2003-03-15 Member: 14532Members
    I think SoF > Cloak, because it's hard to tell how many marines are coming only using you ears.
  • LigerLiger Join Date: 2003-07-08 Member: 18026Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Link^+Aug 15 2003, 12:32 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Link^ @ Aug 15 2003, 12:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I think SoF > Cloak, because it's hard to tell how many marines are coming only using you ears. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    true...

one: easy
    two: still easy enough
    three: possible
    but four or more will most likely end up sounding too close to three...

But, one of the major deciding factors in war is information, and the more accurate the better. So, although the other useful one has it's aplications, SoF is still my choice for that chamber.
  • TrevelyanTrevelyan Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14834Members
    SoF lets you see...

how many enemies are coming, when they are rounding a corner, when they are getting backup, where not to go when gorge, where the next marine offensive is moving and staying out of sight, and it lets you scout the level faster.

cloaking lets you do what SCs do WHILE cloaking buildings at the same time.

my advice... get a good gorge and forget about cloaking.
  • SoulSkorpionSoulSkorpion Join Date: 2002-04-12 Member: 423Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Nothing quite like sitting on the roof above a resource nozzle<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You don't need cloak to do this.

Sorrie, but cloaking isn't that great. It's only good when you're running away, and are quitely healing somewhere. If you want to be stealthy l337 n1nj4, silence is your best bet.
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    Thanks to the mini-map, I've found silence doesn't do squat these days. You may think you have a keen hiding spot, but when you're a bright red lizard in their little corner map, you lose.

And yeah, it's great if you can hide out under the sensory cloak instead, but it always seems that gorges on my team are hanging back near the res-nodes and choke points, where marines are expecting ambushes. I like to get'em in those "safe" halls that they don't spend much time waving their crosshair around to light me up.
  • RaVeRaVe Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17538Members
    Isn't silence a movement upgrade?

I prefer sitting on the ceiling waiting for the marines to finish passing by (I'm a very patient skulk) and pick them off 1 by 1....slowly through the use of AIMING....nowadays all I see is bitespam

But it's also good if you're gonna be a stickycam!!
    /me stick to ceiling corner
  • StoatBringerStoatBringer Join Date: 2003-06-09 Member: 17144Members, Constellation
    SoF is very useful if you're defending an area, as you can see exactly how many are coming to you. Also if you're planning to xenocide the marine base you see where the highest concentration of targets is. It also allows lerks to use spore-and-run tactics without getting shot at.