Personal Views On R_drawviewmodel Command

SinSpawnSinSpawn Harbinger of Suffering Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8359Members
edited July 2003 in NS General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">I want to hear your personal thoughts</div>As this is a question It fits right here

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->General Discussion
Give feedback on features, <b>ask questions</b>, learn and contribute.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I know this has been yelled at before but I want to personally understand fully how this is bad, this command is nothing compared to DOD ex_i????p command, where you see players before they come through the door, sorta like lag thingy.

As for NS I find it IDIOTIC how people can say r_drawviewmodel is an advantage, to that extent I can compare it to the common HL command max_fps, fix that at a 50 frames so we all get a max of 50 Frames, so no one will have a higher frame rate.

r_drawviewmodel - people whine and say it gives an advantage that it allows you to see more, I think those who whine are jsut to lazy to keep guard on screen, r_ command is a great way for low end users to get a few extra frames with tweaking, with that gone and mp_consistancy gone, this mod has become like dod, non 56k(low end user) friendly

<b>I would like calm and reasonable reason/opinions, I don't want no lame 1 word post/flame/useless whine just to up your post count</b> <b><span style='color:red'>THINK BEFORE YOU POST, I want to read useful post</span></b>

Comments

• JaspJasp Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13076Members
    <a href='http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=36892&hl=r_drawviewmodel' target='_blank'>Please Search</a>
  • CabalCabal Join Date: 2003-01-24 Member: 12669Members, Constellation
    Apparently the way the models were initially designed were for balance purposes and so removing them so you could see more made people say that you are getting an unfair advantage. It shouldnt matter once 2.0 comes out since the skulk bite and lmg muzzle flash were modified to be less obstructive (I think).
  • SinSpawnSinSpawn Harbinger of Suffering Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8359Members
    Fine you win...I only wanted upto-date real players opinions not post like

"Also, CS is not the greatest realism mod of all time. It's like playing a dumbed down version of an airsoft round."

Reason why you think it is an advantage and how does it affect you?
  • SirusSirus Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8466Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    ...Heh...

It's an advantage because by default it's on. And by removing it, you can gain a better view of your environment than those who are playing with it on.

And the advantage is enough to create a definite change than that of one playing with default models.

If you're having FPS problems please try the other methods, lowering your resolution, or even using the communities low poly packs. Please try those before resorting to questionable means. Anyways, you're probably not going to see a significant boost by getting rid of the view model.

I also suggest MonsE's tweaking guide <a href='http://www.readyroom.org/perfgde_2.html' target='_blank'>here.</a>
  • SoDumSoDum Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7362Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> *snip* using the communities low poly packs. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link, Sirus? I have hardcore issues with fps, moreso with stuff like GFX and fog/smoke.

Is there anyway to turn that down or off? More of the surrounding ones like in Nancy, than the corridor in Hera where it heavily effects game play. I have trouble with stuff like heal spray and stuff, and the clouds; one lerk with umbra, three healspraying gorges, and my fps goes down to sub 15.
  • AaronAaron vroom vroom der party startah Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7020Members
    Why should the game be broken because of people with slow computers? Hey, maybe we should allow a h4x that disables turrets, because, you know, that causes framerate to drop.
  • FrikkFrikk Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3164Members, Constellation
    The default blocks your vision. There for you can't see as well, causing you to miss some shots. Turning it off doesn't block your vision, causing you to make shots you wouldn't have.

In short, don't use this to boost your fps. Use other methods. It's locked in 2.0 anyway, so you might as well get used to it now.
  • CEldinCEldin Join Date: 2002-09-16 Member: 1323Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Frikk+Jul 16 2003, 10:39 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Frikk @ Jul 16 2003, 10:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> The default blocks your vision. There for you can't see as well, causing you to miss some shots. Turning it off doesn't block your vision, causing you to make shots you wouldn't have.

In short, don't use this to boost your fps. Use other methods. It's locked in 2.0 anyway, so you might as well get used to it now. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well said.
  • MonsieurEvilMonsieurEvil Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 4Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    edited July 2003
    This was closed before. It is now closed again. The next person that makes me have to close another one of these is going to regret it. I have enough of these flamewars to last me a lifetime.
This discussion has been closed.