Troubles Connecting To Own Server

XCanXCan Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5904Members, Constellation
Today I set up a dedicated NS server, it seems that all is working pretty well and there has been other people in the server. However this leads to that I can't join any NS games. Obviously I can't authenticate with WON when I've my server up. Is it suppposed to be like this, that you need 2 cd-keys?

Comments

• eagleceaglec Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9948Members, Constellation
    bit more info required but... the dedicated server does not need won auth and does not use your key.

If you are running HL and the HLDS on the same PC this will happen.
    However you should not run a dedicated server and then the HL client on the same box. It kind of defeats the object of running a dedicated server.
    If you want to do this you'll have to change the port number that the server listens on. This can be easily done by modifying the shortcut to hlds and adding -port 27016

The other possibility is a router issue. Give me a bit more info if that doesn't work.
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Join Date: 2003-01-18 Member: 12443Members
    You can run as many dedicated servers with one wonid from any computer as you want. However you can only play with one. I setup my server like this: since you get 2 cd keys when you buy the counter-strike pack. I setup all my hlds with one cd key and play with the other. But I am not sure if hlds does use your cd key. I know though that hlds does not check for them.

So yea, hlds should not use up your cd key.
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Join Date: 2003-01-18 Member: 12443Members
    Ok, I tested. You can get on your hlds with the same wonid.
  • XCanXCan Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5904Members, Constellation
    Thanks, yes I was trying to connect to my server via the same machine. So I guess it was the port that was the problem. However the lag was tremendous on my P4 2ghz @ 2.22ghz.