How to give your map that extra something

pielemuispielemuis Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 72Members, NS1 Playtester
<div class="IPBDescription">Lets share soem tips/ideas</div>Well i see a lot of people who post screens of their map, and when there's a lot of space in that room people always say that you should fill it with something: stop making it look plain and boring, cover for the aliens. And the only thing they coem up with is add soem crates, don't you guys think that in all the hl-mods en in hl itself there are a LOT of crates? It's always crates. So use some machinery, vehicles, debris furniture. And to detai lyour walls why haven't i seen a single pic with those grips they just have to have on spaceships in case the gravity is gone so they can hang on to something, you can add some plants, fire extinguishers, hoses, an aquarium or something, a television set , 3d tv, weapon lockers,... People can give soem ideas here so people don't have to put crates everywhere i mean in cs and all the other mods it's always crates!

Comments

• Relic25Relic25 Pixel Punk Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 39Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Pipes, man!

Just as a gag/experiment (that ended up sticking) I made an entire room in my old FLF map, Rage, with tons of cover, and all of it came from pipes of all shapes and sizes.  Along with the actual silo chamber, it is my favorite room in that map.  As a matter of fact, now that I think of it, there isn't a single crate in flf_rage.
  • UnCriticalUnCritical Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 73Members, Constellation
    Theres loads you can add.
    Where i work theres alot industrial items that spring to mind... miles and miles of ventilation, pipework, electrical conduit, cable tray, light fixtures, loads and loads of control panals big and small, speakers (for a PA system), girders, large sheild doors (would be used alot in space), pistons, motors, pumps, tanks (container tanks, not acctual tanks), overhead hoists, guards (protecting machinary), bins, drums, silo flasks, containers of all shapes and sizes, workbenches, small walls (to contain spillages of, erm, stuff), platforms...hell i could probably keep going if i really sit and think.
    I guess it alld epends on the area that your mapping, if for instance its in space then thered be more ventilation systems that somewhere that had windows that could be opened.
  • Shuvit_ViperShuvit_Viper Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 62Members
    but the thing with crates was that is was simple to create, it only took one brush, so no raising r_speeds high, and give an equal amount of cover... no use for cover if there is a hole in it (although the aliens might have to go around to melee). I -really- support non-crates, but they should be kept simple, unless r_speeds allow it. de_torn is a good example. There is a wagon in it, which exist from 5 brushes, two wheels, the car itself and two sticks to grab it. This was a good cover, it looked really nice, and was relatively simple. There should be things like that in the map.
  • humbabahumbaba That Exciting Tales From the Frontline Guy Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 86Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    I like the idea of taking your own typical architecture, say pillars or arch supports, and then knocking it around and bashing it up. Have hunk of ceiling panel leaning against a fallen support pillar or a broken down door thats been blasted  and bent so its still atached at the hinges but sticking out a little ways.
  • humbabahumbaba That Exciting Tales From the Frontline Guy Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 86Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    That also naturally lends itself to being on the alien side, where fighting should be condusive to the laiens in the first place. As we know, those bobs do love thir cover. Also, how about some ideas for func_weldables to be used as cover.
  • tommydtommyd Creator of ns_tanith, co_pulse and co_faceoff Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 40Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, NS2 Developer
    i can just see it now:

func_weldable_crate

oh the possibilities!
  • pielemuispielemuis Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 72Members, NS1 Playtester
    rofl tommyd, but don't get them started!
  • Hida_TsuzuaHida_Tsuzua Lamarck&#39;s Heir Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 79Members, NS1 Playtester
    What about humans glued to the wall in some of the infested areas?  Fit right in I think.
  • pielemuispielemuis Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 72Members, NS1 Playtester
    Yeah that would be cool, or like in a lab some aliens in those tubes filled with some fluid.
  • RavenousRavenous Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 48Members
    Can I say .. collapsed hallways ? Broken pipes and smashed floors.