Pak Files Refuse To Open

Teufel_EldritchTeufel_Eldritch Join Date: 2002-01-28 Member: 124Members
Okay for the past several days I have been expierencing a strange problem that prevents me from playing any and all HL games and/or mods. The pak files in my game folders wont open. They wont open when the game starts and they wont open by using PakExplorer or PakScape. I have uninstalled and reinstalled HL at least 1/2 a dozen times now. I have formatted and re-installed Windows just as many times. Even with the complete new installs of both HL, it's mods and Windows my pak files still refuse to open. I have no clue as to why.

Plz help me out here. I cannot play any HL engine game until this is resolved. What could be causing the prob? Would flashing my bios fix the prob? That is the only thing I can think of that would fix the prob because as I have mentioned earlier neither reformatting my hdd and installing Windows nor unistalling and reinstall HL and its mods have solved the prob.

Comments

• MonsieurEvilMonsieurEvil Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 4Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Can you post the exact error you're getting in HL?
  • Teufel_EldritchTeufel_Eldritch Join Date: 2002-01-28 Member: 124Members
    edited March 2003
    When trying to open the pak file using either PakExplorer or PakScape I get the standard red x error "Error reading pak file." When attempting to play I get the error "Cannot open gfx/shell/splash.bmp"

I thought I fixed this with placing a splash screen of my own in my gfx/shell dir, but that didnt work to well as all it did was go further on down the line and give me another error stating that it couldnt open another file. The files that I need are located in the valve pak file. Since the pak file will not open with outside programs or HL itself the game wont run.

Here are my specs which have worked for quite a while until last week.

mboard -- ABIT BH-6
    cpu -- Cele 500
    scard -- SB Live!
    vcard -- Geforce 4 MX 420 64mb
    mem -- 128mb RAM
    os -- Win 98
  • MonsieurEvilMonsieurEvil Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 4Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Hmmm... what was the next file it couldn't open after you replaced the splash.bmp?
  • FireStormFireStorm Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7390Members
    Can you open these files with a hex editor for example? Or even wordpad?
  • Teufel_EldritchTeufel_Eldritch Join Date: 2002-01-28 Member: 124Members
    "Could'nt load gfx/palette.bmp"

No.
  • FireStormFireStorm Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7390Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Teufel Eldritch+Mar 30 2003, 11:24 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Teufel Eldritch @ Mar 30 2003, 11:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> No. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Then it's a file system error... Try to defrag your hard drive, search for bad sectors... Switch to FAT32 if u have FAT16 for example... I can't help you very much with this.
    None of the errors your listing are related to NS/HL not being able to open the PAK files - those are all just regular files in the GFX file system area being bootstrapped. It does sound a bit you're having some other problem and your PAK-opening apps are a red herring (or symptomatic of the other issue).

If you open the /gfx/pallete.bmp in your copy of MSPaint, does it open correctly or generate an error? Could you upload a zipped copy of it here to for us to try?