A Few Questions

HeistHeist Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7922Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Little Help needed</div> 1) When I start a game using "hl.exe -game ns +map ns_trane -dev -sv_cheats" or by entering HL and starting a LAN server, I experience no problems with my elevators, however, when it is hosted on a server, two of my elevators are dissappearing (they re-appear in some positions and the dissapear again). You can still stand on them.. move with them .. get stuck under them but just not see them. I have absolutely no idea why. Does anyone know why this occurs?

2) What does everyone use to edit particle systems in game. I tried a while ago to edit the PS, never saw the seven scroll bars and someone told me that it does not work with the released version of NS. They told me to get a hold of NSTR2 to do it. Is this still what is necessary (I am at work right now so I can't check)?

3) If I was to make doors close again, but only manually(E.G. the Hera Door), do I need to use a multimanager?

Thanks in advance for any help.

(ns_trane is my first map so I am still learning)

Comments

• MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited February 2003
    1) Patch your "server" (yourself) with the 1.04 patch, and then you'll experience the same bug, that's a problem with the maxculldistance, set at the info_mapinfo

2) You can use the NSTR or changing the values and doing a CSG -onlyents compile each time

3) No, just check the "Toggle" flag on the door entity
  • HeistHeist Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7922Members
    edited February 2003
    Thanks for the quick reply.. I'll check it all out when I get home.

Does anyone by chance have a link for NSTR 2?
  • Green_MeatGreen_Meat Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7331Members
    1) May be a glitch with the server side software (not NS MOD, but HLDS). I have noticed similar things occuring on the linux server I'm hosted on. I've come to the conclusion that the linux HLDS has some coding problems. For example, rotating object stop spinning and sometimes ladder disappear. Problems I never had on a Win32 system. I think its the port of HLDS, and not your map or linux. The question is then: Are you hosting it on a linux server?

2) Good question! I was going to ask that myself but you beat me to it. Let hope someone has a link to that NSTR2.

3) No. Set the door and switch flags to toggle, and set the "close after" setting for the door to 0 (or -1, can't remember).

GSH
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited February 2003
    Google is your friend.

<a href='http://gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyondergames/halflife/modifications/naturalselection/patches/win32/nstr2_install.exe' target='_blank'>NSTR 2</a>
  • HeistHeist Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7922Members
    Ok. Thanks for the help. I was however wondering just what the maxculldistance does. I searched for it but I couldn't find an explanation. If anyone can tell me why my value is causing my elevator to dissappear I would be very appreciative.
  • Green_MeatGreen_Meat Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7331Members
    MaxcullDist removes enitities from the commander veiw when it gets X distance away from the center point of the top-down view. This is to keep the Comm from lagging out or crashing due to the number of visible entities.

I can't tell you why it would cause your elevator to disappear unless you give more info. If it's only disappearing in Comm mode, then that is normal.

GSH