Exploiting Admins.

IxionIxion Join Date: 2002-12-19 Member: 11108Members
I was playing at the voogru server, you know, that crazy 24 player-limit server with all those cool-**** mods? Yeah... well, anywho... maybe I should start with the situation before telling everyone exactly what this admin, actually, <b>owner</b> of this server was doing.

We were building on top of the bridge in viaduct, a phasegate, a turret factory and a few turrets, you know, just to take the pressure off of the rest of the team at our other hive and our main base. As we're finishing up the first turrets, a fade comes into view on the bottom of the hive. He starts shooting at us, but... he's more or less harmless, until.... He starts to slowly float, not a blink mind you, but a float. A smooth steady floating motion up towards the bridge. Not only is he floating, but he's raining acid rockets all over us as he continues to just float in mid air. He wasn't at all changing his position at this point, he was just floating above the bridge, firing on us. At first, I thought I was lagging, but when he just sat in mid air firing at us, I knew something was up.

Of course... I call out... "HOLY MOSES! A FLYING FADE!" and he starts to put this lame-**** "llamafied" thing on me... some voogru crap to **** people off after being stupid. But then, of course, he repeats the stunt, flying around, more floating than really anything... then everyone on the marines were calling out cheater... All of the Aliens and voogru regulars started bitching me out, in his defense... more things happen along the way... more floating and name calling, and most of all, abusive admining, but he said something to the nature of "natural selection has bugs. deal with it."

After that, I wasn't **** at this guy at all. I'm not posting this to make any big deal out of him exploiting.. or... well, that's what I'm posting about. Has anyone ever seen this? Is this a well known exploit? Was he scripting? Can the NS Devs fix this? Maybe he can repeat the stunt for you and you can have a good look at it. I never thought this guy was all that intelligent, so I'd put it past him to actually make out a complicated script, so... maybe someone else made it for him? He did tell me that fades can blink... so I'd assume it's a blinking script of some sort.

Now, I'm not sure if this post really belongs in the Bugs forum, again, I don't know exactly what he did. I thought I'd post it here first, before getting it rejected from the bug reports section. Thoughts? Feedback? Flames are welcome, I certainly do expect them from the people at voogru.

Comments

• Two_Eyed_HumanTwo_Eyed_Human Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9589Members
    In this other server I played in the marines always win so one of the admins put godmode to himself and would just parasite all the marines that were in the base.
  • KingKahuna[KKG]™KingKahuna[KKG]™ Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9507Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--QuoteBegin--Ixion+Feb 3 2003, 02:04 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Ixion @ Feb 3 2003, 02:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I was playing at the voogru server, you know, that crazy 24 player-limit server with all those cool-**** mods? Yeah... well, anywho... maybe I should start with the situation before telling everyone exactly what this admin, actually, <b>owner</b> of this server was doing.

We were building on top of the bridge in viaduct, a phasegate, a turret factory and a few turrets, you know, just to take the pressure off of the rest of the team at our other hive and our main base. As we're finishing up the first turrets, a fade comes into view on the bottom of the hive. He starts shooting at us, but... he's more or less harmless, until.... He starts to slowly float, not a blink mind you, but a float. A smooth steady floating motion up towards the bridge. Not only is he floating, but he's raining acid rockets all over us as he continues to just float in mid air. He wasn't at all changing his position at this point, he was just floating above the bridge, firing on us. At first, I thought I was lagging, but when he just sat in mid air firing at us, I knew something was up.

Of course... I call out... "HOLY MOSES! A FLYING FADE!" and he starts to put this lame-**** "llamafied" thing on me... some voogru crap to **** people off after being stupid. But then, of course, he repeats the stunt, flying around, more floating than really anything... then everyone on the marines were calling out cheater... All of the Aliens and voogru regulars started bitching me out, in his defense... more things happen along the way... more floating and name calling, and most of all, abusive admining, but he said something to the nature of "natural selection has bugs. deal with it."

After that, I wasn't **** at this guy at all. I'm not posting this to make any big deal out of him exploiting.. or... well, that's what I'm posting about. Has anyone ever seen this? Is this a well known exploit? Was he scripting? Can the NS Devs fix this? Maybe he can repeat the stunt for you and you can have a good look at it. I never thought this guy was all that intelligent, so I'd put it past him to actually make out a complicated script, so... maybe someone else made it for him? He did tell me that fades can blink... so I'd assume it's a blinking script of some sort.

Now, I'm not sure if this post really belongs in the Bugs forum, again, I don't know exactly what he did. I thought I'd post it here first, before getting it rejected from the bug reports section. Thoughts? Feedback? Flames are welcome, I certainly do expect them from the people at voogru. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You were given a reasonable explanation. You also posted this here? WHY? BLINKING into a wall isn't fun.. I DID noclip myself out of the wall, and I'll do it again; without your approval of course.

Have a good day.
  • Speed_2_DaveSpeed_2_Dave Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8788Members
    floating up to somewhere sounds a lot more than just noclipping to get out of a wall, imho. *shrug* if you ever have problems with a server go to a different one, there's 400+ last time I checked. As for Voogru's servers, I personally never had a problem with them (I played on them somewhere between 1.01 and 1.03 occaisionally).

[sidenote] blinking up to that railing is hard to do, and takes some practicing, perhaps he had a cloaked skulk under him?? (very unlikely though) [/sidenote]
  • VenmochVenmoch Join Date: 2002-08-07 Member: 1093Members
    Wouldn't it be easier to use /unstick or some other trickery??

At least have a message that says "Blah has used noclip on self" Like [WHO]Them has in his SpiderMonkey Metamod (My favorite servers use it)
    V-I think it does show up, but if you're building lotsa stuff and watching a fade float up, you tend to not notice those things..
  • voogruvoogru Naturally Modified (ex. NS programmer) Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1827Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--Venmoch+Feb 3 2003, 03:39 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Venmoch @ Feb 3 2003, 03:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Wouldn't it be easier to use /unstick or some other trickery??

At least have a message that says "Blah has used noclip on self" Like [WHO]Them has in his SpiderMonkey Metamod (My favorite servers use it) <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I been reprogramming my mods, and some of the stuff still isnt back on
  • GreyPawsGreyPaws Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8659Members
    The only thing I can say is search the forums for "Voogru" enough flames to melth the north pole. Trust me your not the only one who has complaints about that server.
  • IxionIxion Join Date: 2002-12-19 Member: 11108Members
    Hum. Considering voogru has a stuck script already implemented into the server, why was the noclip cheat necessary? That's one.

Two. Everyone else saw you floating around... that was no normal blink... what was the comment about ns having bugs to do with anything.... other than you supposedly getting stuck in the cieling... I didn't see any fades getting stuck in the cieling or any other wall at viaduct. All I saw was a fade slowly ascending to the top of the hive and firing on us. That's all.

Three. How does one blink to the top of the hive and still have enough stamina to continue firing? Adenaline doesn't replenish that quickly.

Four. I saw no blue trail. No evidence of a blink except for you moving... but even then, you weren't blinking in and out... just steadily moving to the top of the hive.

Five. I hope no one took this the wrong way. I didn't mean to flam at all... just wondering if this was some sort of bug. I didn't think the llamafied command was at all necessary. You could have just made your case and moved on.

Six. I had a telephone call in the middle of the game and wasn't there to see any sort of explanation from you or anyone else in the server.
  • VimstlVimstl Join Date: 2002-11-28 Member: 10145Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--kInG kAhUnA+Feb 3 2003, 02:22 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (kInG kAhUnA @ Feb 3 2003, 02:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> BLINKING into a wall isn't fun.. I DID noclip myself out of the wall, and I'll do it again; without your approval of course.

<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Regrettably, then, this makes you a cheater. If some other player gets stuck, or jammed in a phase gate with another player, or any of the other occasional mishaps that may befall them, they open the console, type "kill", and get on with the game.

If an admin uses his "special powers" to give himself an advantage that is not enjoyed by other players, then I will call him a cheater, and I'll do it again, without your approval of course.

You are a cheater.
  • KingKahuna[KKG]™KingKahuna[KKG]™ Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9507Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2003
    <!--QuoteBegin--Vimstl+Feb 3 2003, 03:12 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Vimstl @ Feb 3 2003, 03:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin--kInG kAhUnA+Feb 3 2003, 02:22 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (kInG kAhUnA @ Feb 3 2003, 02:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> BLINKING into a wall isn't fun.. I DID noclip myself out of the wall, and I'll do it again; without your approval of course.

<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Regrettably, then, this makes you a cheater. If some other player gets stuck, or jammed in a phase gate with another player, or any of the other occasional mishaps that may befall them, they open the console, type "kill", and get on with the game.

If an admin uses his "special powers" to give himself an advantage that is not enjoyed by other players, then I will call him a cheater, and I'll do it again, without your approval of course.

You are a cheater. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm sorry you feel that way... If you get stuck, I would do same for you. I always free stuck people. IF Flayra would fix the blink bug, it wouldn't be a problem now would it?

I have made it a practice to NOCLIP *ANYONE* stuck, all they have to do is ask.

I have nothing more to add...

That would have been me NOCLIPPING you, as ONLY voogru and myself can access that feature.
    edited February 2003
    Vim-I once got stuck in a voogru server, and a kindly admin or modification to the server quickly unstuck me with the noclip function. Does that mean I'm a cheater too?

[edit]there's a difference between unsticking yourself with noclip and dithering around like the Flying Nun [/edit]
  • TryonTryon Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7040Members
    Ixion, you forgot #7

7) If the admin in question <i>had</i> blinked into the wall, he/she would not have been able to continue raining down acid rockets. You dont regain energy when you're hexclipped into an object (or at least, I've never gotten energy back when I clip into something...)
  • IdenIden Join Date: 2002-10-16 Member: 1513Members
    Well no, seems like the conversation has wandered, I'd like to point out:

Noclipping anyone to get them unstuck seems valid so long as it's a free option to all. Voogru has his own server, his own rules will apply. Both him and King seem nice enough about it. I know I hate getting stuck as an Onos getting over a wall of lame.

Now of course if he wasn't just getting himself unstuck but going about like "the flying nun", raining hell down upon you long after he was free and just abusing admin privaledges. That's something else. Then just stop going. You've spread your message, everyone's heard "both sides of the story". So now if anyone else goes on there and watches people "float" around after getting unstuck five minutes earlier, well that's that.

Admins abusing privaledges happens on almost any server, sometimes in fun or just spite. It's their server. Truthfully if you had a problem with it you should of written a letter to Voogru or even made a short demo of it to prove your case.
  • Nemesis_ZeroNemesis_Zero Old European Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 75Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    This is not the place for such a discussion. If you have complaints about Voogrus servers and / or admins, PM / E-Mail them. Such topics are known to burst into flamewars, and thus, aren't tolerated.

<span style='color:red'>***Locked.***</span>
This discussion has been closed.