Below Zero Scanning room broken to the point of uselessness

the_coraxianthe_coraxian Michigan Join Date: 2020-12-08 Member: 265955Members
I am playing on a PS4 Pro. When I scan for resources from a scanning room the results are wildly off target. Most often the target has nothing at the location. Occasionally it will target something but it is the wrong resource entirely. Rarely, just rarely, it will target what you were actually looking for.

This has slowed my game to a crawl. I can no longer scan for resources like I did in the first game. I have to look for all resources visually.

Comments

• Raven1840Raven1840 Uk Join Date: 2021-05-31 Member: 270881Members
    Agreed plus putting the resources to make the chip in the late game biomes rather than late starter - mid twisty bridges / thermal spires - renders it useless as well
  • BoTonyBoTony New York Join Date: 2021-06-04 Member: 271053Members
    I'm having the same problem on a regular PS4. I've tried reporting the problem on the console itself, but no reply. Also posted something about this to the BZ subreddit and apparently nobody there even knows how to use a scanning room or the HUD (seriously!). Based on the amount of comment about this issue here, I'm beginning to wonder if the three people who have posted here are the only people who use scanner rooms, or at least the only ones who have run into this problem. It strikes me as a serious bug; as OP says, it renders the Scanner Room virtually useless. Has nobody else seen this? Should I upload some examples/screen shots/videos?
  • the_coraxianthe_coraxian Michigan Join Date: 2020-12-08 Member: 265955Members
    My girlfriend is playing BZ on a regular PS4. She uses the scanner room and HUD chip "correctly" as well. She is running into the exact same problem.
  • Raven1840Raven1840 Uk Join Date: 2021-05-31 Member: 270881Members
    BoTony wrote: »
    I'm having the same problem on a regular PS4. I've tried reporting the problem on the console itself, but no reply. Also posted something about this to the BZ subreddit and apparently nobody there even knows how to use a scanning room or the HUD (seriously!). Based on the amount of comment about this issue here, I'm beginning to wonder if the three people who have posted here are the only people who use scanner rooms, or at least the only ones who have run into this problem. It strikes me as a serious bug; as OP says, it renders the Scanner Room virtually useless. Has nobody else seen this? Should I upload some examples/screen shots/videos?

Based off my experience with YouTube comments your reddit experience isn't unusual. People don't tend to be that observant.

When you compare the bugs with the scanner room to the problems with the story then I wouldn't expect this to be fixed anytime soon, if at all. The quality control seems to have been virtually nonexistent in much of it.
    The story seems just fine to me, I'm rather enjoying it. To each their own I guess. The only serious issue I have had so far is the giant elephant of the scanner rooms not working.
    edited June 2021
    Yeah, I'm fine with the story. It's a little thinner than the one in the original Subnautica, but then the world is a bit smaller too, and it's all engaging enough. The game continues to look and sound great, and that makes up for some of the narrative shortfalls. But a major piece of in-game technology basically not working, that's kind of a big one. I hope they address it at some point.

Also sorry to hear they're closing the forums. I just got here, so I don't know what history is behind that decision and I'm sure there is some. And maybe the decision make sense. But no longer having these forums as a means of reporting bugs seems a significant loss, and the notion that we should henceforth report bugs somewhere among the chaos of a Discord sounds pretty dubious to me. It's a shame. Such a popular and otherwise well considered game should have better customer support. Bugs as obvious and crippling as the broken scanner room, not to mention the frequent (and I mean frequent) crashes, seriously mar an otherwise excellent game.
    One more comment: In at least one place I looked, it has been suggested that this scanner room thing is (as the saying goes) not a bug, but a feature. Man, I hope that's not the case, because ... why?
    One more comment: In at least one place I looked, it has been suggested that this scanner room thing is (as the saying goes) not a bug, but a feature. Man, I hope that's not the case, because ... why?

I finished the game last night. Good stuff if a bit shorter than the first. I actually had a head canon excuse for why the scanner rooms don't work. I just imagined that there was something about that part of the planet that distorted and rendered useless scanner returns. I have wondered, with such a glaring and obvious problem, was it always meant to be that way? Did the devs consider it too easy simply to scan for resources, but didn't want to yank the SR entirely? I don't know.
    edited June 2021
    I have a theory that this bug is the result of something they tried to fix from the first game. In the first game you couldn't scan for a resource unless it had already loaded in on the area of the map you were in. The resource wouldn't load in and show up as a scannable resource unless you laid eyes on at least one example of it in an area. This had the effect of having to find resources manually BEFORE you could scan for them.

I believe what they did to try to fix it was to have all the possible locations of the resources load in all at once regardless of what you laid eyes on. This has the effect of the scanner scanning down resource nodes that may be empty or have generated as something else. The rare correct hit pops up because there is a probability of the correct resource generating at that node.

I might be right, I might be wrong. But it would be nice if the devs had something to say on the matter.