We are Disabling Steam Cloud Saves for Below Zero - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
imageWe are Disabling Steam Cloud Saves for Below Zero - Subnautica

Hello, Subnauts! As you may be aware, we were excited to introduce Steam Cloud save capability with the final Early Access update for Below Zero, Seaworthy. We have heard all...

Read the full story here

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Leaving a comment to open up the thread.
  • rawmacgyverrawmacgyver Join Date: 2019-12-18 Member: 256524Members
    Thanks for working on it! I am looking forward to the full release and hope that you will continue with this franchise! Maybe even give us hints about the next project after release? :P
  • Darklord42Darklord42 Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183230Members
    For normal subnautica I've always used a soft link to my Nextcloud folder. Same technique works well for dropbox, onedrive or any other cloud solution. I think I'll be doing the same for this in the mean time.
  • cliswpcliswp Join Date: 2021-04-09 Member: 268937Members
    Is this what happened on Obraxis Prime?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    cliswp wrote: »
    Is this what happened on Obraxis Prime?

We don't talk about it. ??
  • howhow canada Join Date: 2021-04-09 Member: 268949Members
    does this mean steam cloud is bad?
  • PelufazPelufaz Mexico Join Date: 2021-04-10 Member: 268950Members
    Cloud saves were never fixed on Xbox consoles, I lost my save when I had a lot of stuff.....
  • KyzarvsKyzarvs UK Join Date: 2019-08-08 Member: 254142Members
    Fab, I bought a second copy on Steam (I already had a copy on Epic) just for cloud saves...
  • eellllikeellllik Join Date: 2021-04-25 Member: 269453Members
    Hope you know that Steam cloud saves are pretty much a requirement to play on GeforceNow, since it doesn't offer any option for local saving (any locally made saves on GFN will be deleted at the end of the session). No Steam cloud = unplayable on GFN.

Also, if there is a discrepancy between Steam cloud and local files, Steam just pops up a dialogue box and asks you which save file it should take, so not really an issue?
  • karyonitekaryonite Netherlands Join Date: 2021-05-14 Member: 270047Members
    edited May 2021
    Dear @Obraxis

On January 7th 2021 I unlocked the achievement Out of Mind.
    Since then I have patiently been waiting for the full game to be released.

On April 9th 2021 I read about cloud saves being disabled.
    In the FAQ it reads:
    We have been assured that even existing saves in the “cloud” will be unaffected.
    Good, I thought, no measures needed.

Since a week or two I have been counting the days.
    This morning was an exciting day, version 1.0 released.
    I have finally finished my work, done all my chores and I can enjoy the ending of Subnautica Below Zero.

Can you imagine how disappointed I was to find none of my cloud saves anywhere?

Don't get me wrong, I loved all 55 hours of play I put into the game so far...
    But I don't feel like going there again - not so soon after doing it all, not to just to recover all the progress I made.

If there's anything you can do to help me get my save files back, please do so.
    If you need anything else from me to help this process, please let me know.

Kind regards
    uan3oxts9vt0.jpg
  • karyonitekaryonite Netherlands Join Date: 2021-05-14 Member: 270047Members
    I realised that cloud support, though mentioned in the Seaworthy video in the 1.0 blog post, has not been turned back on. I'll await further instructions :)
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    @karyonite I think you have the timeline confused. The seaworthy update added cloud saves, then the developers found issues, made this post, and disabled cloud saves. The 1.0 update was not supposed to add cloud saves back; that is expected at a later time.
  • greehackgreehack Turkey Join Date: 2021-05-25 Member: 270631Members
    edited May 2021
    I played the game 10 hours ago. I uninstalled the game and reinstalled. My save files do not stop when I enter the game. He wants me to start over. Can you get my save file back? I don't want to repeat 10 hours. If you can't get it back. I will not play your game. I've sent support mails twice. Replies to both are automatic messages. Sorry you have a bad customer relationship.
  • CambenCamben Join Date: 2021-05-28 Member: 270791Members
    Hi, I bought a new computer and downloaded my backed-up save game files in the SubnauticaZero\SNAppData\SavedGames\ folder onto my machine. But the game dosent seem to pick up the saves when I launch the game. What am I doning wrong?