Base Parts Ideas! Suggestions and Discussion!

UnrealInstinct8UnrealInstinct8 U.S.A Join Date: 2015-04-12 Member: 203335Members
What are some cool base parts that could be added to the game? I personally think that base building in the amazing world of subnautica is one of the best parts of the game. I think maybe a dock for the cyclops would be interesting but I feel that space would be a problem.

Comments

• ssutcliffessutcliffe United States Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223565Members
    I agree with the dock for the Cyclops. That would be the #1 base part for anyone's wish list I think. Perhaps an extra large Moonpool like at the mountains base?
  • ElesigmaElesigma Earth Join Date: 2015-10-06 Member: 208327Members
    I think I remember seeing on the trello roadmap they're floating around ideas for a cyclops dock. It would be nice to have, I agree.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    gamer1000k wrote: »
    Honestly, base building is one of the weaker parts of the game IMHO. It's one of the parts that hasn't really improved at all in the two years I've been playing the game. No new base parts have really been added in that time to fill holes in the parts list, and there's still a lot of issues with placing things at times that have never been fixed.

I'm pretty sure the devs are planning to include a Cyclops dock in the future. The very first card in their development trello has an image showing one.

Beyond that, here's a list of some base parts I would like to see. Note that most of these have been suggested at one point or another during the development process (or even scrapped by the devs before I started playing).

1. Base Management Console
    This would be a terminal like the vehicle modification station, but would allow the player to name/color the base, manage power (turn systems on/off), and create a beacon (like the other vehicles have).

2. Stairs
    Seriously, why don't we have a sloped corridor with stairs? Having to build a cascade of corridors and ladders for bases located on sloped terrain just looks ugly. A spiral staircase for multipurpose rooms would be neat as well.

3. Large rectangular multipurpose room
    A large multipurpose room that can take two large modules side by side.

4. Power bank
    Initially, I heard the devs did include an accumulator base part that would act like a large battery for your base. It was inexplicably removed over two years ago. I would like to see something like this added back in. Preferably in a way that uses power cells like the Cyclops does so the player could potentially build a temporary base using just corridors and run it on power cells in locations that don't have solar or thermal to power them.

5. Shield generator
    The idea is that the shield generator would use a lot of power, but would create a large safe zone around your base that animals can't pass through. This could be used to keep predators out, and trap desired fish around your base.

6. Vehicle Constructor
    I've found it very immersion breaking that we have to use a magical little floating platform to construct vehicles (and the fact that we use an even smaller magical handheld tool to build the bases). To reduce some of the immersion breakage, it would be great if moonpools could construct a seamoth or prawn (and repair them while we're at it), and we had a large exterior constructor to build a cyclops underwater.

7. Fridge
    This would simply be a container that would prevent food stored inside of it from spoiling and require power to do so.

8. Sloped foundations
    The idea here is to allow us to make exterior paths for a prawn to walk on.

9. Crates
    We see crates all over the place in the Aurora and around the Degasi bases, but we can't actually build them for some reason. These would simply be large exterior storage containers that can be built on a foundation.

10. Teleporter
    It would be awesome if one of the precursor facilities had a databank that unlocked a teleporter blueprint for quickly travelling between bases. A small interior and large exterior one (like what the precursors have) would be awesome. These would require a significant amount of power to operate.

11. Resource extractor
    This would be a structure that can be placed on the terrain (similar to the thermal plant) that would slowly extract resources from the environment using lots of power similar to the water purifier. Different biomes would give different resources. This would be an entirely new game system and would require rebalancing much of the game, but would reduce the tedium of constantly having to do resource runs.

12. Small bed/cot that fits in a corridor
    Night in the early game is one of the more tedious parts of the early game since beds won't be available until after the jellyshroom cave. Being able to more easily skip the night would be very helpful.

13. Aquarium that actually fits in a corridor
    This has always bugged me. We get the aquarium from the very beginning, but it doesn't fit in a corridor so we can't actually use it until after acquiring the multipurpose room.

14. Multipurpose room glass ceiling/floor
    We can build windows on the floor and ceilings of the corridors, why not on multipurpose rooms? A giant glass dome or floor would be really neat.

15. Angled corridors
    Corridors for the other 4 sides of the multipurpose room. Would also include adapters for connecting with regular corridors.

16. Drone bay
    A building that allows constructing and operating drones to gather resources and construct buildings.

17. Jetpack
    Not really a base component, but equipment that allows the player to fly and hover while constructing bases on land. I like building bases on the islands, and the difficulty of building outside of water always annoys me.

1. Yes.
    2. Yes.
    3. Eh, not really needed imo.
    4. YES SO MUCH YES
    5. Not needed, things avoid bases I think
    6. No, then you'd have to build a base before a seamoth.
    7. Yes.
    8. yes.
    9. YES.
    10. yes
    11. YES
    12. Meh
    13. Yes
    14. YES
    15. YES
    16. YES - SELF EXPANDING GREYGOO BASES!
    17. Awesome.

Overall: Well done!
  • UnrealInstinct8UnrealInstinct8 U.S.A Join Date: 2015-04-12 Member: 203335Members
    Honestly, base building is one of the weaker parts of the game IMHO. It's one of the parts that hasn't really improved at all in the two years I've been playing the game. No new base parts have really been added in that time to fill holes in the parts list, and there's still a lot of issues with placing things at times that have never been fixed.

I'm pretty sure the devs are planning to include a Cyclops dock in the future. The very first card in their development trello has an image showing one.

Beyond that, here's a list of some base parts I would like to see. Note that most of these have been suggested at one point or another during the development process (or even scrapped by the devs before I started playing).

This would be a terminal like the vehicle modification station, but would allow the player to name/color the base, manage power (turn systems on/off), and create a beacon (like the other vehicles have).

2. Stairs
    Seriously, why don't we have a sloped corridor with stairs? Having to build a cascade of corridors and ladders for bases located on sloped terrain just looks ugly. A spiral staircase for multipurpose rooms would be neat as well.

4. Power bank
    Initially, I heard the devs did include an accumulator base part that would act like a large battery for your base. It was inexplicably removed over two years ago. I would like to see something like this added back in. Preferably in a way that uses power cells like the Cyclops does so the player could potentially build a temporary base using just corridors and run it on power cells in locations that don't have solar or thermal to power them.

5. Shield generator
    The idea is that the shield generator would use a lot of power, but would create a large safe zone around your base that animals can't pass through. This could be used to keep predators out, and trap desired fish around your base.

6. Vehicle Constructor
    I've found it very immersion breaking that we have to use a magical little floating platform to construct vehicles (and the fact that we use an even smaller magical handheld tool to build the bases). To reduce some of the immersion breakage, it would be great if moonpools could construct a seamoth or prawn (and repair them while we're at it), and we had a large exterior constructor to build a cyclops underwater.

7. Fridge
    This would simply be a container that would prevent food stored inside of it from spoiling and require power to do so.

8. Sloped foundations

9. Crates
    We see crates all over the place in the Aurora and around the Degasi bases, but we can't actually build them for some reason. These would simply be large exterior storage containers that can be built on a foundation.

10. Teleporter
    It would be awesome if one of the precursor facilities had a databank that unlocked a teleporter blueprint for quickly travelling between bases. A small interior and large exterior one (like what the precursors have) would be awesome. These would require a significant amount of power to operate.

11. Resource extractor
    This would be a structure that can be placed on the terrain (similar to the thermal plant) that would slowly extract resources from the environment using lots of power similar to the water purifier. Different biomes would give different resources. This would be an entirely new game system and would require rebalancing much of the game, but would reduce the tedium of constantly having to do resource runs.

Night in the early game is one of the more tedious parts of the early game since beds won't be available until after the jellyshroom cave. Being able to more easily skip the night would be very helpful.

This has always bugged me. We get the aquarium from the very beginning, but it doesn't fit in a corridor so we can't actually use it until after acquiring the multipurpose room.

We can build windows on the floor and ceilings of the corridors, why not on multipurpose rooms? A giant glass dome or floor would be really neat.

15. Angled corridors
    Corridors for the other 4 sides of the multipurpose room. Would also include adapters for connecting with regular corridors.

16. Drone bay
    A building that allows constructing and operating drones to gather resources and construct buildings.

17. Jetpack
    Not really a base component, but equipment that allows the player to fly and hover while constructing bases on land. I like building bases on the islands, and the difficulty of building outside of water always annoys me.

I know that htey did have a power bank in the game at some point but i heard that they got rid of it because other ways of obtaining energy were added. I still think that they should add it back because everyting else is powered by batteries so why not your base. I would also like to see it added because say you wanted to build a base deeper in the ocean it gives you another option for power.
  • GrafDrescheGrafDresche Join Date: 2018-01-29 Member: 236212Members
    edited February 2018
    Base building is also one of my favorite aspects of the game that I have been playing since 2015.

I agree with the list - some very good ideas. Especially adding more basic room shapes like a rectangular room, even though round shapes are more realistic regarding water pressure.

What I would also like to see are:

- bathroom/shower facilities.

Edit:
    A foldable/compact bed/sleeping bag etc.
  • BeardedWarriorBeardedWarrior United States Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236468Members
    I'm a little torn on this one. On the one hand, I'd love to see more base parts and furniture possibilities and such because I'm a compulsive builder in games like this, but I also don't know how much that sort of thing really plays into the story of the game, the point being to get OFF the dang planet, not set up camp and live there forever.
  • GrafDrescheGrafDresche Join Date: 2018-01-29 Member: 236212Members
    I'm a little torn on this one. On the one hand, I'd love to see more base parts and furniture possibilities and such because I'm a compulsive builder in games like this, but I also don't know how much that sort of thing really plays into the story of the game, the point being to get OFF the dang planet, not set up camp and live there forever.

True, but I would see it as something on top - just like the coffee or vending machines. Also, some of these things are really just basics to round out the immersion of having a (even temporary) base. So, I think it would not take anything away from the basic idea of the story.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members

2. Stairs

4. Power bank

5. Shield generator

6. Vehicle Constructor

7. Fridge

8. Sloped foundations

9. Crates

10. Teleporter

11. Resource extractor

15. Angled corridors

16. Drone bay

17. Jetpack

I give you, good sir, a 9/10 on this list. Great job!
    kingkuma wrote: »

2. Stairs

4. Power bank

5. Shield generator

6. Vehicle Constructor

7. Fridge

8. Sloped foundations

9. Crates

10. Teleporter

11. Resource extractor

15. Angled corridors

16. Drone bay

17. Jetpack

1. Yes.
    2. Yes.
    3. Eh, not really needed imo.
    4. YES SO MUCH YES
    5. Not needed, things avoid bases I think
    6. No, then you'd have to build a base before a seamoth.
    7. Yes.
    8. yes.
    9. YES.
    10. yes
    11. YES
    12. Meh
    13. Yes
    14. YES
    15. YES
    16. YES - SELF EXPANDING GREYGOO BASES!
    17. Awesome.

Overall: Well done!

Agree with this one.
    Base building is also one of my favorite aspects of the game that I have been playing since 2015.

I agree with the list - some very good ideas. Especially adding more basic room shapes like a rectangular room, even though round shapes are more realistic regarding water pressure.

What I would also like to see are:

- bathroom/shower facilities.

Edit:
    A foldable/compact bed/sleeping bag etc.

Showers would be interesting, and compact beds are... interesting

The purpose of the builder tool is not to help you survive so you can leave the planet. It is to help you survive. It is to hold all blueprints of scanned items. This means that it could work.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    4. Power bank
    I would like it to be something in this fashion, as proposed by @BylliGoat.
    I like everything, maybe with a few tweaks as above. Except teleporters, hate those.

I also loved the fridge and aquarium suggestions. Would be even better if the fishs died after a while when outside the water, and then started rotting. This would empower the fridge/aquarium mechanics.
    And please, give us fishing rods and the ability to fish for peepers from the surface.

And I would like a food processing unit akin to the water filtration machine, where you input edible components (like a bioreactor) and it process it into rations by consuming power.

• jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited February 2018
    You can actually build the crates with the habitat builder if you use console commands. I don't remember the code but I do know it's one of these. So try them all except for the first one as I know that one isn't the crate. To do it you need to use the unlock command.
    g7y9qypgruhh.png
  • SickSixSickSix FL Join Date: 2018-01-29 Member: 236202Members
    @gamer1000k I think you basically hit everything I want, except teleporters. I don't want those. This game world isnt that big to justify that. Half the experience of the game is the travel.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    SickSix wrote: »
    @gamer1000k I think you basically hit everything I want, except teleporters. I don't want those. This game world isnt that big to justify that. Half the experience of the game is the travel.

The game already has teleporters. All of them only need to be activated from one end, so you can teleport to new areas without having actually discovered them first.

My idea for teleporters is that you have to build both endpoints. You still have to go out and explore and build bases at each end, plus it would be an end-game item so the player will have had plenty of chance to explore and gather the blueprint and materials before being able to use them. I personally find running back and forth between far-flung bases to be quite tedious, and this would be a timesaver for the endgame (or creative mode) to get between bases more easily.
  • lordoffilinglordoffiling Join Date: 2017-08-10 Member: 232342Members
    If it were up to me, I'd take the Mobile Vehicle Bay out of the game.

It's annoying to me.

It feels like the kind of thing that got put into the game before comprehensive base-building was on the table, and ended up sticking around even after we had a perfectly good Moonpool base piece. By all rights the Moonpool should be the place we build and repair everything up to a Prawn suit. Players can live perfectly fine on a Seaglide until they've got a Moonpool built. As for the Cyclops,we should definitely have a place to dock that, and that dock is where it should be initially built.
  • lordoffilinglordoffiling Join Date: 2017-08-10 Member: 232342Members
    Oh. On-topic: When we stack two Multipurpose rooms on top of each other, I'd love to be able to remove the floor between them, or have grated flooring between them. Open the base up a bit.
  • MissMarifireMissMarifire Join Date: 2018-02-05 Member: 236889Members
    Oh. On-topic: When we stack two Multipurpose rooms on top of each other, I'd love to be able to remove the floor between them, or have grated flooring between them. Open the base up a bit.

On the same vein as that, I'd love it if putting several multipurpose rooms next to each other would give us the option of making one really big multipurpose room out of them, too. Same with windows as well, just make one big window out of them. I'm all for giving ourselves some more wiggle room in our bases.

This is gonna sound super lame, but my suggestions aren't particularly new stuff, rather changes to old stuff- I'd love the option to customize the interior aesthetics of the rooms (floors, walls n ceiling, even if it's just changing the colors of them like we can the Seamoth/Cyclops/Prawn Suit) as well as more variety in our current parts (ex. different shaped windows, hatches, storage containers and utilities).

Don't know if this also counts for the thread, but I've always been one for more decorations as well, as minuscule as they may be- it makes seabases feel a lot more homely. What I'd give to have a plushie of that one cat from the Keep Calm poster, even if it's simply something you find hidden in the Aurora like a lot of the misc. decor.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    In order to use the ingame teleporters, you have to build your base near those areas. Which is alright if you don't care about the scenery or location. The cost should be expensive like 5 Ion Power Cells, Kyanite, and other rare items.

As far as a Vehicle Constructor Bay goes, it would not be sufficient for the Seamoth and Cyclops. Those constructor drones that the Mobile Vehicle Bay and Neptune Launch Platform use are cool and far more futuristic than a Vehicle Constructor Bay. The constructor drones are just an extension of the Fabricator. Now if we had a Sub big enough to fit the Seamoth and PRAWN suit, then using an Industrial Fabricator might be useful.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    All that I want are 45° variants of the basic tubes.
  • HipqoHipqo Danmark Join Date: 2018-02-06 Member: 236996Members
    Like many others have suggested, please give us sloped corridors with stairs in them, so we can make more organic looking bases. And give us more "detailing" please. Small items like the shelves, flower pots and such we already have.
    I would also love to see some outdoor pathing and rails along with it, to make those balconies over the void!
    More collectibles would also be very interesting! Human and alien "artifacts" with no real effect, like the toy and mnini aurora we can find now.
  • VahalVahal wandering in my dear Seamoth Join Date: 2018-01-12 Member: 234986Members
    edited February 2018
    yup half tube with open top would be nice.

The stairs, oh yup, I would love them. Same with sloped corridors.

Bigger wall lockers. As a real farmer I found myself build HUNDREDS of wall lockers and I would love bigger ones (and with editable part too because the locker can't be named.)

A construction bay or an addon of immersion bay to construct vehicle. The possibility to merge several immersion bay to make a bigger one and with enough of them you could build the Cyclops and give her a bay to dock inside. Plus that would "nerf it" because Cyclops is REALLY easy to build and once you have a Cyclops and melon's seed, you can go anywhere, anytime. Game becomes very, very easy, you just have to pop a recharging base time to time at the beginning to recharge sub's batteries.

The possibility to build a central column in the mutlfunction room to mount stuff on it like (yeah wall lockers :D )

A pool. Yeah, I know, we're on a sea planet, but that would be an upgraded version of the alien containment chamber, bigger with more room for plants and creatures, stackable and mergeable (with no separation between floor/roof/wall of stacked/merged pools to make bigger pool with an increased impact of structural weakness).

And just a visual upgrade, the possibility to anchor your base from the top so you don't have a "floating" base fixed to nothing while you built it in a cave... And why Do I have legs on immersion chamber while there is NO ground where to anchor them? I keep have one leg pointing out (sometime even four) while I try to not have them (it makes docking easier)

And last but not least, some food generator. Using both fishes and plants to make some nutrient block. Would be nice roleplay food diversity (my poor dude is eating almost water melon... I feel sorry for his WC and his suit :s
  • KGANNEKGANNE Join Date: 2021-02-03 Member: 267424Members
    add a variation of all base parts and a steering wheel that floats so you could move your base on the surface like a boat
  • Primarch117Primarch117 Join Date: 2020-03-29 Member: 259320Members
    I've been thinking bout a particularly annoying reaper that i would love to lead to my own base and the base defenses shred it or shock it till it's dead and harvestable. Is that just me or anyone else along those thoughts for below zero?
  • aurora_go_big_bookaurora_go_big_book Join Date: 2021-02-06 Member: 267498Members
    well they should add a multi ship dock it would fit 4 to 6 ships and (please do not copy me) i want to be able do click "replace" and it would make the cyclops hold 4 and with upgrades 6 vehicles and if this new dock i made up was atacht to another, it would hold two cyclops or 8 to 12 vehicles
  • aurora_go_big_bookaurora_go_big_book Join Date: 2021-02-06 Member: 267498Members
    oh and mines for the first game
  • UnrealInstinct8UnrealInstinct8 U.S.A Join Date: 2015-04-12 Member: 203335Members
    edited February 2021
    Jeez! I started this discussion board back when I was still in high school! Glad to see it’s still somewhat active! It’s always nice to see others opinions and ideas as I felt base building was one of the cooler parts of the game. I was glad to see that they kept the same vibe with base building in Below Zero. Keep it up everyone and game on!
    i only play subnautica 1