Thank you for Robin

SilkSpiderSilkSpider Join Date: 2016-10-22 Member: 223305Members
Seriously. Both females, and people of African descent, are very marginalized and underrepresented in popular media, video games included. As a woman of African descent myself, thank you so much, for creating Robin - a strong and beautiful black female protagonist. I can't speak for anyone else - but to me, it means a lot. Thank you.

Comments

• KyzarvsKyzarvs UK Join Date: 2019-08-08 Member: 254142Members
    Trying to think of another - I must be being thick, but I can only think of Alyx as even comparable (I know she's of African/Asian parents). Yes that is a good choice. It's a shame the story is quite... sub-optimal at the moment, but yeah - I'm all for protagonists being of all shapes / sizes / colour / religions.

Personally I'd have been a bit braver on the LBGTQ+ element. If you feel you have to mention sexuality at all in a lone survival game(?!? personally I would have side-stepped the issue altogether and let the player make up their mind), I'd have changed the sister to a partner rather than mentioning it in-story for other characters you never see - feels a bit token.
  • vampireadjacentvampireadjacent chicago Join Date: 2020-12-16 Member: 266105Members
    I'm very happy with the choices that were made for this game too and more representation is always a positive.
  • SilkSpiderSilkSpider Join Date: 2016-10-22 Member: 223305Members
    For the sake of context - I grew up on the cusp of the birth of gaming. In the early days, when I was a small girl, there was basically nothing, either for girls, or for people of colour (and absolutely nothing for my two demographics combined). So, therefore, seeing a tough as nails black female protagonist means a great deal to me. Seriously.
  • shakky89shakky89 Norway Join Date: 2020-02-20 Member: 258125Members
    edited January 2021
    2 black guys in GTA, Prototype, Alyx Vance, Barret from FF, Vivienne from Dragon age.
    Playable black female characters:
    Evolve - Maggie
    Remember me - Niin
    Broken age - dont remember
    AC Liberation - Aveline
    L4d2 - Rochelle
    Dead Island - Purna
    RE 5 (i think) - Sheva (kinda)
    FF XII - Fran
    HL - Alyx
    Beyond Good and evil - Jade
    Telltale TWD - Clementine

If you have not played many black female characters and you desperately need to, there are many.

I did not make this list to disparage. But identity in game protagonists is silly to me. Im a caucasian scandinavian. My culture and background is VASTLY different from any protagonist in any game. Except perhaps Generation Zero. But they are not very fleshed out. I never identify with protagonists, really.

But if you wanted more, there are some tips. :)
    I forgot Bangalore and Lifeline in Apex! Holy cow.
  • Officer_keethOfficer_keeth brazil Join Date: 2021-01-15 Member: 266886Members
    SilkSpider wrote: »
    Seriously. Both females, and people of African descent, are very marginalized and underrepresented in popular media, video games included. As a woman of African descent myself, thank you so much, for creating Robin - a strong and beautiful black female protagonist. I can't speak for anyone else - but to me, it means a lot. Thank you.

what do you mean by "Both females"
    shakky89 wrote: »
    2 black guys in GTA, Prototype, Alyx Vance, Barret from FF, Vivienne from Dragon age.
    Evolve - Maggie
    Remember me - Niin
    AC Liberation - Aveline
    L4d2 - Rochelle
    Dead Island - Purna
    FF XII - Fran
    HL - Alyx

If you have not played many black female characters and you desperately need to, there are many.

I did not make this list to disparage. But identity in game protagonists is silly to me. Im a caucasian scandinavian. My culture and background is VASTLY different from any protagonist in any game. Except perhaps Generation Zero. But they are not very fleshed out. I never identify with protagonists, really.

alyx isnt black mate
    Evolve - Maggie
    Remember me - Niin
    AC Liberation - Aveline
    L4d2 - Rochelle
    Dead Island - Purna
    FF XII - Fran
    HL - Alyx

alyx isnt black mate

same with clementine
  • TarsonisTarsonis Calgary Join Date: 2021-01-16 Member: 266923Members
    As a member of the LBGTQ+ community I totally understand what you mean. Representation is so important in video games as it makes us feel seen as people and we can relate to the characters we are playing.
    edited January 2021

alyx isnt black mate

same with clementine

What are you on? If you played HL2 you even talk to her black father.
    Perhaps the character art of Clementine is not "black enough" for you, but that is her ethnicity.
  • KGANNEKGANNE Join Date: 2021-02-03 Member: 267424Members
    I know, my sister is very pleased about the new female protagonist.
  • aurora_go_big_bookaurora_go_big_book Join Date: 2021-02-06 Member: 267498Members
    Evolve - Maggie
    Remember me - Niin
    AC Liberation - Aveline
    L4d2 - Rochelle
    Dead Island - Purna
    FF XII - Fran
    HL - Alyx

you forgot minecraft some skin packs have some
  • aurora_go_big_bookaurora_go_big_book Join Date: 2021-02-06 Member: 267498Members
    im a boy and have a thing of playing as a boy still wat to play but my mind still says no
    i am NOT disagreeing
    by the way i have not beat the first one

you forgot minecraft some skin packs have some

I am assuming this is sarcasm..?
    My examples are proper characters. Voiced, given more or less a personality, etc.
    though i have not played Minecraft.
    HHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHH???? also i did not know you ment voiced characters
    here are my 5 faverite games
    1 minecraft
    2 subnautica
    3 dragon city
    4 rolblox
    5 among us
    by the way that was a reply to the I asume sarcassm thing by the way i was not sarcastic

alyx isnt black mate

same with clementine

What are you on? If you played HL2 you even talk to her black father.
    Perhaps the character art of Clementine is not "black enough" for you, but that is her ethnicity.

black father =/= black daughter