Subnautica Below Zero crashing almost immediately

prisoner881prisoner881 Join Date: 2020-10-13 Member: 264668Members
This is the same issue I had with Subnautica before using AMD Radeon drivers: game crashes randomly resulting in black screens and no way to recover without a power cycle. SBZ seems to be worse than the original, crashing within seconds of starting the game. Just as before, audio continues playing for a short while but that's all.

Tried -force-d3d9 in Steam launch settings. Not sure if this switch still works but if so it had no effect. Game still crashes seconds after starting.

Tried -force-opengl in Steam launch settings. Got to play almost a full minute before it crashed when I jumped in the water.

There is no output log in the SubnauticaZero_Data directory. I'm not posting another DXDiag dump as nothing changed since the prior one.

System summary:
AMD 3800X CPU
16GB RAM
Radeon RX580 GPU
Win10x64

Radeon drivers 20.10.1 (latest available)
Windows fully patched
Nothing overclocked

For the record, I was able to play and complete the original Subnautica only by using the -force-opengl switch. Anything else was constant crashes. That doesn't seem to work with SBZ though.

Comments

• prisoner881prisoner881 Join Date: 2020-10-13 Member: 264668Members
    Some news. I switched to the latest Radeon Pro drivers and seem to get better results. I was able to play for about half an hour before it crashed to a black screen (ironically after I triggered a crashfish going for some cave sulfur). This is a big improvement from before when it would crash immediately upon entering the water.

Side note: I'm starting to hate those monkeyfish. Annoying little thieves.
  • SgtHeatmanSgtHeatman Join Date: 2020-11-10 Member: 265374Members
    Hey, I am having exact the same issue.
    Subnautica and Below Zero both crashing randomly also resulting in a black screen with monitor saying "no signal" and all I can do is press the on/off switch at the back off my pc.
    Subnautica is crashing pretty much instantly. Although I just tried continuing a save game from December 2019 which probably is from an older version of the game but don't think that's the reason for the crashing as also Below Zero is crashing where I started a new game. Yesterday I was able to play Below Zero for like 1,5 hours but this evening it crashed 2 times within like 10-30 minutes.

My System:

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
    16 GB RAM
    RTX 2070 super
    Win10x64

Latest Nvidia drivers
    Windows fully patched
    Nothing overclocked
    Turning on/off X-AMP didn't help
    Turning on/off ASUS GPU Tweak II didn't help
    No overheating issues. System is stable. Games like COD Warzone run smooth and stable without any issues.

I also wrote a post in the Unity forum. Hope someone is able to help me/us. Would really like to be able to play those games again :(

• CatdroidCatdroid Join Date: 2020-11-17 Member: 265504Members
    Hi, I had instant crash at startup too with Radeon RX570 and AMD Software 17.12.
    Had to add "-force-opengl" to game settings to make it run.

After updating AMD Software to 20.9.1 the game doesn't crash at startup any more, even without "-force-opengl".
  • SgtHeatmanSgtHeatman Join Date: 2020-11-10 Member: 265374Members
    I found a fix for the issue!
    I found the following post where it says if you have a high core CPU it has a negative impact on Subnautica if you use more than 4 cores:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/subnautica/comments/eb52v4/no_spoilers_warning_more_than_4_cpu_coresthreads/
    I tried it and reduced my used cores for Subnautica to 4 cores according to the post and it works! I had not a single crash since then and can finally play the game again! I have around 10 h on Below Zero now without a single crash :)
  • TasukyTasuky Chile Join Date: 2019-06-22 Member: 253452Members
    The game gets stuck quite frequently and I had this black screen with "No signal" today too.
    Ver. Oct-2020 37024

CPU Intel i7-4710HQ
    RAM 16 gb
    GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M
    Win10x64
  • DerValiserDerValiser Join Date: 2021-03-15 Member: 268294Members
    edited March 2021
    Hey Guys,
    I can confirm the solution of SgtHeatman. Thanks a lot, although I got the link from a different site :)

I have the same Problem with a Ryzen 2700X.
    The game does not run smooth on CPU with more than 4 Cores.

While the game is running, open Task Manager. Rightclick Subnautica -> Details.
    In the new Tab, rightclick subnautica again and select "Set Affinity".
    Now you are getting a List of your Cores and Virtual cores.

In My case I have 16, but the even numbers are the "real cores" and the odd one the "virtual ones".
    Just check cpu 0, 2, 4 and 6. And you are fine.

Hope this helps you out.

Cheers,
    Val

• LuxseuLuxseu Join Date: 2021-05-19 Member: 270326Members
    edited May 2021
    I had crashes every 30 minutes but I finally managed to fix it. Basically all you have to do is disable background recording. Go to settings -> Gaming -> Captures -> Record in a background when I'm playing a game. After disabling this I had no crashes at all on max graphics and played over 5 hours already. I didn't change the used cores and and I'm still using all 16.

PC Specs:
    Windows 10 Pro
    Ryzen 7 2700X
    16 GB RAM
    Radeon RX 5700XT
  • Br1ngTheActi0nBr1ngTheActi0n Join Date: 2021-05-19 Member: 270333Members
    I had a weird glitch aswell. Ill make a post later.
  • Wraithguard12Wraithguard12 USA Join Date: 2021-05-19 Member: 270324Members
    I have this issue as well. Rather than it being a CPU problem it seems to cause issues in my AMD GPU. No other games cause problems but Subnautica BZ seems to crash my GPU.
  • NihooNihoo Join Date: 2021-05-19 Member: 270368Members
    edited May 2021
    I have the same issue...
    Game is crashing while playing after few minutes.
    I tried to manage cores to use, disable third-part tools like a Steam and Geforce Experience overlay but it doesn't help.
    Background recording is disabled also.

Platform: Steam
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
    GPU: GTX 1080Ti
    RAM: 16GB DDR4
    Win10x64
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Have you tried changing drivers for your GPU? The newest isn't always best.
  • NihooNihoo Join Date: 2021-05-19 Member: 270368Members
    I tried 2 versions of GPU drivers, after update I had the same problem as before but I'm pretty sure that the CPU is a problem because core management is increasing the time to crash almost twice as normal.
  • adam_barnesadam_barnes Join Date: 2021-05-26 Member: 270665Members
    Game: Below Zero on Nintendo Switch.
    About 32 hours of game time.
    Game crashes almost every time I try and save.
    I really want to like this game...but getting Cyberpunk 2077 flashbacks.