Random crashes with no video, total PC lockup

prisoner881prisoner881 Join Date: 2020-10-13 Member: 264668Members
edited October 2020 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
To start off, this is a fantastic game with incredible visuals. I'm thoroughly enthralled by it and I'm looking forward to playing it to conclusion.

That said, playing it to conclusion is impossible due to random crashes. I went through the various troubleshooting steps outlined via the in-game link, all to no avail. When it crashes, both of my monitors go completely blank, audio continues to play in the background for a short while before locking up, and my PC is completely unresponsive. It requires a power cycle to recover. Sometimes these crashes happen within a few minutes of starting, other times I was able to get almost an hour of play before a crash. I can find no commonality in the crashes equating to specific actions, biomes, creatures, or anything.

Per the troubleshooting, I updated all my drivers to the latest (including my BIOS). This had no effect.

I ran stress tests on my CPU, GPU, and RAM continuously for hours using a variety of tools (Prime95, Furmark, Memtest, etc.). All these passed without issue. No other games cause similar crashes, or crashes of any kind for that matter. This PC is roughly four months old.

I was using the release build of Subnautica but tried the "experimental" builds to see if that helped. It did not.

There was no output log text file to include. Here is a link to my Dxdiag output: http://pastebin.pl/view/1831a87f

Please help! The game, in its current state, is unusable. My daughter can play this on her PC with no issue so it has to be something specific with my PC. She's Intel, I'm AMD. She has a slightly older Radeon 6900, I have an RX580. Given the problem seems to be graphical, I'm betting it's something specific to my RX580 or its drivers but I don't know what.

Comments

• ToubaiToubai Argentina Join Date: 2020-10-19 Member: 264812Members
    This is also happening to me, anyone can please give an answer?
  • prisoner881prisoner881 Join Date: 2020-10-13 Member: 264668Members
    I'm forced to wonder if anyone is even monitoring this forum.
    I may have solved the problem. I got on the Subnautica Discord channel and asked around if anyone else had an RX 580 and wasn't crashing. One person responded yes, and they were running Radeon 19.9.2 drivers. I had an old copy of 19.10.2 drivers so I tried them.

So far I've been able to play for nearly 50 minutes and no crashing. That's pretty much a record for me so I'm hoping this is fixed. I'll report in if it crashes again but for now, if you're having issues with random crashing, try Adrenalin drivers version 19.9.2 or 19.10.2 and see if you get better results.
    edited October 2020
    OK, I spoke too soon. Random crashes are back, same as before. I even went as far back as 19.7.x drivers and no good.

I'm starting to think it may be something with my AMD 3800X CPU. Maybe it's too fast? Too many cores? I don't know. I would really like it if someone from the dev team would comment on this.

UPDATE: it's not the CPU. Switched to OpenGL mode (-force-opengl) and no more crashes. See post below for more info.
  • dave8671dave8671 Join Date: 2020-10-17 Member: 264772Members
    The system you have seems to be a dell. its has dell signatures in the Dxdiag which I see nothing abnormal. The RX580 has bad driver suit for windows 10 I seen issues in many games. I have seen this game being played with Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5 no issues. Was this PC upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10? When remove drivers like ati etc the folder for the old driver is left behind which could have dll files in them. These need removed I always booted into safe mode and removed them.
    edited October 2020
    dave8671 wrote: »
    The system you have seems to be a dell. its has dell signatures in the Dxdiag which I see nothing abnormal. The RX580 has bad driver suit for windows 10 I seen issues in many games. I have seen this game being played with Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5 no issues. Was this PC upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10? When remove drivers like ati etc the folder for the old driver is left behind which could have dll files in them. These need removed I always booted into safe mode and removed them.

It's not a Dell. It's a custom build. MSI X570 motherboard, AMD 3800X CPU, 16GB RAM, MSI RX 580 GPU. It's a fresh install of Win10x64 v2004. I have no idea where you found the Dell signatures. That's really strange unless you mean the displays, which are two 27" Dell UltraSharps.

I've more or less given up on running the game in native DirectX mode. I found the -force-opengl switch and used it. Got two hours of crash-free play. Water effects are slightly worse but not that noticeable. Frame rates are down but tolerable. At least the game works now which is more than I could say before.

I checked everywhere online for issues with Radeons and the Unity 3D engine. Seems the two have had issues for years on every game using the Unity engine. I'm sure the latest Unity engine build brought out a bunch of new bugs. I'll keep running it in OpenGL mode until either Subnautica fixes the bugs or AMD issues a new driver that addresses the bugs.
  • dave8671dave8671 Join Date: 2020-10-17 Member: 264772Members
    Here is a friend of mines specs he has no issues with subnuatica

Motherboard: ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-I GAMING
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    RAM: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz
    GPU: 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 Super <---this thing is a bit over kill and he knows it.

What is your vram on the GPU if its 2Gb that could be an issue if less then 4GB +.

I found the signatures in your dxdiag text its the Dell monitor. I looked up subnautica specs and I was shocked that it listed windows vista for the first. what you can try is right clicking the exe of the game and change the compatibility to windows 7 or other option. Yes the more software is used the more complex gaming is.

I help on many computer forums and I get sick at the number of posts for stream issues its just another software complexity headache. This game is on stream but I would not play it on there. The unity engine is no different than streams issues in the past.