[Below Zero] Can someone explain power to me as it pertains to this circumstance?

jcdick1jcdick1 Join Date: 2019-01-30 Member: 249773Members
I have seven thermal plants, each reading 90+ degrees, feeding my base. I understand that the most power I can actually have is 1750 (7x250), but my incoming power is +10.63, and with the water purifier and scanner room running, my outgoing is only -3.85, according to the control room power display. Why would I actually lose power? I can understand losing a few ticks for each "cycle" of the scanner and water machine, but then it should just bounce right back to 1750, since my incoming power is more than double my outlay. Instead, if I leave my base for any length of time with the scanner room running - to track down those resources, for example - I could come back with a base that has no power at all. A battery system for a base would be nice, too, since my power theoretically reaches 4325 in such heat, but I can only get to the 1750 allowed by seven generators banking 250 each.

Any guidance is appreciated.

qd5kgcb01tkg.png

Comments

• narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Are you coming back to absolutely zero power? If so, make sure to post a bug report.

I'm guessing it's like the original Subnautica, where it drains the first source completely, then starts taking power from the next source.
  • andydean02andydean02 Join Date: 2020-09-09 Member: 263878Members
  • ontimeontime Join Date: 2020-09-11 Member: 263904Members
    I noticed this behavior as well. I think the answer is that the power producing modules are discrete from one another. E.g. if you had 5 power producing modules that each produced +1 power then what you have is +1+1+1+1+1 and not +5. Same goes for the other attribute for storage e.g. +250+250+250+250+250 and not +1250. The resulting behavior looks like you are losing power when you are actually using up storage capacity of individual power producing modules.
  • jcdick1jcdick1 Join Date: 2019-01-30 Member: 249773Members
    edited September 2020
    narfblat wrote: »
    Are you coming back to absolutely zero power? If so, make sure to post a bug report.

I'm guessing it's like the original Subnautica, where it drains the first source completely, then starts taking power from the next source.

I did file a bug report over in that forum, because it is definitely behaving as if only one device is actually producing power, and the rest are just batteries.

Edit: Okay, I get it. I still think it's a bug. Or a really poor design decision. But if I have four thermal plants, each capable of producing 1.5 units/sec with a total available of 1000 units, and a drain of 5.25 units/sec, I won't see my maximum power output of all four thermal plants until the available power drops below 250. So for the first consumed 250, the thermal plants are only feeding back the 1.5/sec of the currently draining thermal plant. Once the available power drops below 750, my power output jumps to 3 units/sec. Once the available power drops to below 500, the power output jumps to 4.5 units/sec. And then when it drops below 250 available, I'll get the full output of 6 units/sec and begin getting power back, until it finally sits at the 250 power mark.

I say its a bug or a poor decision, because if the individual plants can run and be charged in parallel, then there is no reason to be drained serially.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Yes, I wish they had a separate battery that gathered power. The current design makes solar panels a headache in the original game.