Is it me or is...?

YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
edited December 2019 in NS2 General Discussion
The netcode much worse now...

I recently came back from a 2 - 3 year hiatus and I cannot describe it but the netcode felt much more stable back then, half my hits do not reg and this is based on good low ping servers based in EU,

I work in I.T support so naturally I based my findings on logic and facts, so far I have fine tuned my settings based on the following;-

e2b1ktvck1lv.png
3zorovdishvs.png
dsdgtoyhyzm1.png
ahcgzviu8rxi.png

So based on this information, please don't tell me it is subjective, I would say personally and modestly I am above average player but I guarantee my hits genuinely do not hit half time, I even asked random players across multiple servers with equally reasonable ping and general consensus is that is worse, what changes has been done over the 2 - 3 year period in regards to netcode?

I seek a professional technical answer please, thank you.

Comments

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    "I need an expert!!! help!!" - Daily occurrence for tech support workers, especially with difficult and complex problems.

I'll be the first to tell you I am NOT an expert but it seems Trace Route could be used to monitor your connection to a specific server over a period of time when noticing issues with the 'netcode' as it seems clear you don't have an issue with bandwidth throughput and could be experiencing issues with a specific node in the chain towards the server. This thread talks about hit reg and how to measure it objectively with logic and facts, especially after not playing for years which would indicate you may not be as immediately skilled as you used to be years ago:

https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/139975/instructions-on-how-to-objectively-test-hitreg-post-your-hitreg-problems-here#latest
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    aeroripper wrote: »
    "I need an expert!!! help!!" - Daily occurrence for tech support workers, especially with difficult and complex problems.

I'll be the first to tell you I am NOT an expert but it seems Trace Route could be used to monitor your connection to a specific server over a period of time when noticing issues with the 'netcode' as it seems clear you don't have an issue with bandwidth throughput and could be experiencing issues with a specific node in the chain towards the server. This thread talks about hit reg and how to measure it objectively with logic and facts, especially after not playing for years which would indicate you may not be as immediately skilled as you used to be years ago:

https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/139975/instructions-on-how-to-objectively-test-hitreg-post-your-hitreg-problems-here#latest

Thanks for getting back to me, oh yes my skill has definitely taken a plunge I admit that of course but it still doesn't feel quite right, thanks for pointing me in the right direction though, I'll give that thread a good read!
  • NoMNoM Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203407Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited May 2020
    Just about everything you've shown here has to do with TCP/IP, when the game uses UDP/IP.

What's your ping like to your major servers? Hitreg is not so much of an issue on local <60ms ping servers, from what I've felt. It's absolutely atrocious with my regular ~180-300ms ping servers. That feeling when you see you've missed, yet it counts as a hit - and to a lesser extent vice versa. I find it easier to tell when I've definitely missed, than when I've definitely bitten.

I'd like to add that high rate servers offer a noticeable improvement in hitreg. I do the fade test, blink in, swipe and get out immediately. On high latency servers, this usually misses. One has to wait a moment before slashing.
  • MayuMayu Join Date: 2020-07-13 Member: 262499Members
    LMAO that is why it ppl shouldnt think they know everything. especially not about networking. ppl like you are the kinds that tell isp's and devs that they know better than them. it doesnt make you know a single thing about networking mate
  • bicsum2bicsum2 Join Date: 2020-07-13 Member: 262517Members
    Just in case this isn't resolved yet: i'm relatively sure it has to do with the Killer network driver software.
    Try uninstalling the killer application and just use the killer driver (or 3rd party).

I used to have similar problems with Killer network interface.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Mayu wrote: »
    LMAO that is why it ppl shouldnt think they know everything. especially not about networking. ppl like you are the kinds that tell isp's and devs that they know better than them. it doesnt make you know a single thing about networking mate

Shut up ya melt, UDP and TCP use the same pyshical interface, so diagnosing the TCP protocol at least proves that his network connection is fine.
    If the UDP packets were dropping, he would see that via increased pings on the TCP protocol.
    [quo
    .trixX. wrote: »
    Mayu wrote: »

Shut up ya melt, UDP and TCP use the same pyshical interface, so diagnosing the TCP protocol at least proves that his network connection is fine.
    If the UDP packets were dropping, he would see that via increased pings on the TCP protocol.

LMAOOO yeah another one of those unknowing yet talking people
    if you dont get the point about the post better not comment .trixX. lol
  • ukesilkeris6ukesilkeris6 Join Date: 2020-08-16 Member: 263309Members
    I played NS2 quite a long time ago and really enjoyed my experience, but I haven't played in quite a while because I thought that the community had kind of gone kaput. I did recently see, though, that Unknown Worlds has still been releasing significant patches- is the community still active enough that I should try and get back into things and/or persuade a friend of mine to get back into it with me?
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Community is still active and people are still playing. Though the forums are kinda dead by now. Most people are on the discord.