Increasing/Examining Construction Costs

UUestleyUUestley US Join Date: 2020-05-03 Member: 260636Members
After a few hundred hours playing both Subnautica games, I feel like the amount of materials required to construct certain items in the game are not representative of the materials I imagine are included in the product. For example, it only takes 2x Glass to make a Glass Compartment, but there are clearly metal components involved in the model.

Here are my suggestions:

-Glass Compartments (2x Glass) should also require at least 1x Titanium

-Quantum Locker (2x Titanium, 1x Advance Wiring Kit, 2x Diamond) should also require 1x Ion Cube or Ion Battery/Power Cell

-Grav Trap requires a battery to create, but deploying it should drain that battery (to be replaced like all other tools)

-PRAWN Suit (2x Plasteel Ingot, 1x Power Cell, 1x Enameled Glass, 3x Lead) should require 2x Power Cells and 1x Advanced Wiring Kit

-Sea Truck (1x Titanium Ingot, 1x Advanced Wiring Kit, 2x Glass, 3x Lead, 1x Power Cell) should require 2x Power Cells

-Repair Tool (1x Silicone Rubber, 1x Crystalline Sulfur, 1x Titanium) should also require 1x Battery

-Seaglide and Snow Fox run off the same amount of power as my Scanner? They should both require 1x Power Cell or 2x Batteries instead of 1x Battery

-A Large Room and a PRAWN Suit require the same number of Plasteel Ingots? Either reduce the PRAWN Suit to needing 1x, or increase the Large Room to needing 3x.

-Anything that needs or creates power (Thermal Plant, Floodlight, Moonpool, Modification Station, etc.) should require at least 1x Copper or 1x Copper Wire or 1x Gold (maybe it should only take 1x Copper to make 2x Copper Wire?)

-Anything with an inflatable compartment (Floating Air Pump, Mobile Vehicle Bay, Waterproof Locker, Beacon) should require 1x Bladder Fish and 1x Silicone Rubber for every 2 compartments. Or at least some Fiber Mesh.

What imbalances or something-out-of-nothing construction costs have you noticed?

Comments

• melignusmelignus US Join Date: 2020-05-06 Member: 260752Members
    Or just have the vehicles and tools built without power cells/batteries in them. I like the idea of having the option to just share a small number of power cells/batteries if that became a necessity rather than make them part of the recipe. Exercise optionality so to speak ;)
  • UUestleyUUestley US Join Date: 2020-05-03 Member: 260636Members
    melignus wrote: »
    Or just have the vehicles and tools built without power cells/batteries in them...

I like that idea. "Batteries Not Included"

• HerobrinesbestminionHerobrinesbestminion Join Date: 2019-12-07 Member: 256209Members
    well some things make more sense gameplaywise.... I don't want to run around like crazy (or swim before PRAWN XD) and collect tons of titanium for like two rooms and a piece of tunnel.... when you are the kind of person that builds much (or hates collecting in a collecting survival), even small changes might make your progress go way slower and ruin your fun...
    ...even small changes might make your progress go way slower and ruin your fun...

I can understand that. And, yes, this is a game so there is some amount of reality-suspension. Perhaps these (IMO, more realistic) material costs could be incorporated into Hardcore Mode.

Then again, there are cheats and Creative Mode for those who want to bypass material costs.

• darrindarrin Frankfurt; Germany Join Date: 2019-02-15 Member: 250965Members
    edited May 2020
    General 1
    There's a cool mod for Subnautica that loads parameters (like resource costs, resource inventory sizes, creature HPs, creature damage values or energy costs) from .json resource files.

I'd love if the devs would integrate this concept into the base games! This way, it would be really easy to alter this stuff without relying on mods! And it would be great if players could create their own sets per difficulty level or even share these settings.

General 2
    I'd love if you wouldn't get resources like copper, etc. right away. I would prefer if you have pick up the harvesting node (f.e. the 'limestone') first and be forced to extract the resource using a fabricator & by spending energy (high-level resources might require more time and consume more energy).

Likewise, there shouldn't be large harvesting nodes for gold, silver, etc. There should only be large harvesting nodes of the corresponding outcrop... like 'large blocks of limestone'.

Habitat pieces
    For me, the costs for habitat pieces are the biggest issue. I think compartments should require titanium ingots rather than titanium. Because:

1 titanium = wall planter
    1 titanium = single wall shelf
    2 titanium = plant pot
    2 titanium = locker
    3 titanium = bulkhead
    4 titanium = indoor growbed

So how many titanium would you expect for a whole compartment?
    - I'd say at least 20 (1x the cost of a growbed per wall, floor & ceiling) => 2x ingots.

The conversion of titanium into ingots might even require a special 'recipe' or equipment... and maybe take up way more time (see water filtration). As a result, the devs would have created a nice delay of the non-essential base building part.

Windows might require more glass, but could refund titanium.

Outcrops
    I'd also love if titanium can't be extracted from outcrops... or it should be a very rare material instead.

1) titanium as a native resource is really rare
    2) It would persuade players to scan fragments & explore wreckages instead
    3) Noone needs large amounts of titanium early in the game anyways

I for one built too many floating lockers early on because I found way too many resources (especially titanium).

Instead, it would have been better if the player would find more salt or quartz instead (remove these harvesting nodes & large nodes for these materials instead if necessary).

It would also help to explain why the Degasi survivors (Bart Paul & Marguerite) struggled and argued so much about resources. With only a small ship to salvage, they might have been short on titanium.
  • GimboidGimboid France Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214956Members
    In general, I like the idea of increasing some of them as you sate, especially for requiring batteries for tools that create a battery (it's not as if batteries are difficult to make in BZ).

Using ingots for things like the multipurpose room would also be nice
    darrin wrote: »
    General 2
    I'd love if you wouldn't get resources like copper, etc. right away. I would prefer if you have pick up the harvesting node (f.e. the 'limestone') first and be forced to extract the resource using a fabricator & by spending energy (high-level resources might require more time and consume more energy).

Likewise, there shouldn't be large harvesting nodes for gold, silver, etc. There should only be large harvesting nodes of the corresponding outcrop... like 'large blocks of limestone'.

I had the same thought regarding outcroppings and needing to process them to get at their goodies. Love it!

• BoffBoff Sweden Join Date: 2018-08-12 Member: 242804Members
    Since the game is in development, there are a few rough edges that aren't prioritized right now that I can't wait to be fixed (water bottles and bladder-fish ;) )

Aside from the joy of Crafting and Organizing things.
    Why bother with the "between" steps.
    Currently, I got to make sure I have a fabricator just hanging around near-by,
    in my base,
    in my sea-truck or
    have a recipe for a base with power and a fabricator.

I've got a Technological magic wand that can spray glass from my pocket, or a whole fabricator with some copper ore, coral and titanium....or was it quartz
    But if I got 2 quartz, why can't I "magic" a Glass panel straight away?

But of course, this can go into crazy "more harm than good" territory.
    A Spontaneous thought I just had was "how about an upgrade to the 'habit builder tool' ", so we could craft items directly like a fabricator, but of course, that will clutter the UI with pick the item you want, and would have to have an ion battery as it WILL eat through Battery at the same rate as the power consumption in the base.
    Then there would be the additional issue of, does it spawn where you are looking, (how does that work in a base or the sea-truck), or does it go directly into your pocket.

Also, how do you guys feel with the RNG?

In the original, we had an RNG of 3 ores per outcrop, and it was biased not to give you two things in a row..sometimes.

In the WIP BZ, they made a nice change that it's now a dedicated ore that drops the ore or titanium, 50/50 and not 1 in 3, but feels like the old RNG biased of trying to avoid 2-drops in a row, feels like we just take it in turns so If go for 4 silver outcrops, I consistently get silver, then titanium, then silver, then titanium.

I do like this, much more than the 1/3 RNG, but it gets frustrating as it's per outcrop(?).
    I could be in need of "2 copper" and I get copper on the first sandstone outcrop I see,
    But then I find another one, as well as outcrops for Gold, Silver, Lead.

I know in the back of my head that the previous sandstone outcrop gave me copper so it's a certainty that the second copper outcrop will favour titanium next, regardless of how much titanium I pick up "in-between" from the Gold, Silver, Lead outcrops.
    It this your subjective experience of the RNG?