Subnautica: Below Zero Story Changes and Save Games - Subnautica

13»

Comments

• Sith_Empire_IncSith_Empire_Inc Join Date: 2020-03-31 Member: 259403Members
    I like dangerous areas that force you to get out and swim for certain items????☹???
  • Pavman2448Pavman2448 Join Date: 2018-12-05 Member: 245159Members
    So, how would I be able to get the development version of below zero? I use the Epic Games Launcher and I don't get the option to get the development version. Anyone know how to get it?
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Unfortunately, it's steam only. If I remember correctly, Epic only allows one version.
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    Catsy wrote: »
    Oh good grief. Look at all these buzzwords pretending to be constructive feedback. It's remarkable how un-self-consciously threatened some people get by being "forced" to play as a female character, let alone a (quelle horreur!) non-white character.

"inane babbling vagina monologues"
    "leftist woke / intersectionality / social justice ideology"
    "none white male character with an agenda"

Protip: the only people here with an agenda that is not "have fun with Subnautica" are those bleating out loaded right-wing nonsense like the above.

I'm as economically left as you can be without falling off the scale. Though so embarrassed and horrified by a lot of the evil crap spewed by today's mainstream left that I increasingly don't want to be associated with them.

Gay.

Not white.

Not christian.

I don't think of it this way but technically could qualify as having several disabilities.

In a game of special snowflake bingo, I'd be very hard to beat.

The original dialog for the game really was inane babbling vagina monologues.

Women really don't just sit around all day talking about vaginas. And especially not at work. The dialog was neither realistic nor positive for women. It was cringeworthy and awful on multiple levels.
    helix427 wrote: »
    I am a white male, and there is currently an extreme amount of hatred for white males in the popular culture of the western world, in conjunction with the leftist woke / intersectionality / social justice ideology.

Although Subnautica Below Zero does not appear to directly attack white males based on what I have read, woke ideology generally does. Consequently, the fact that it is full of woke ideology as well as a ridiculous amount of "woke drivel" as described above made me refrain from buying the game, or else I would have in a heartbeat.

I had suspected this effect might be in play here because of IPs which took diversity to a really bad place like the new Star Wars and Star Trek. Which has hurt not just those IPs, but the cause of diversity.

I'm glad you spoke up.

And you have my sympathies and support.

For what it's worth, I've copped much more and worse discrimination because of my gender than my skin colour, sexuality etc.

That said, I just watched a youtube vid of the new intro and it's fabulously devoid of vagina talk.

While it's possible they could still slip that stupidity in later, personally I'm inclined to believe that they've realised this was a mistake and have corrected it. Sneakily slipping in at the end would permanently put a lot of people off the company, effectively killing them.
  • M_QM_Q Join Date: 2020-05-02 Member: 260603Members
    edited May 2020
    I don't know how the discussion devolved into politics, but I didn't like the verbosity of Below Zero. Playing as any possible gender -- who cares about that. Subnautica was a soothing survival experience without any needless voice-overs or comments that didn't add to the plot or atmosphere.

The conversation with Al-An, aka Alan, your "new alien pet buddy" made me cringe. Good thing they didn't name him B-Ob I guess. The protagonist is all like, "ah I just had a life-threatening accident and then an alien invaded my brain, kewl, now, I JUST HAVE TO GIVE IT A NAME". Seriously, Disney?

Hey, it's the devs' choice of how they will handle the new game and things were improved in the latest update, but I really don't think that corny dialog lines was something that was missing from the first game, or was the reason people loved it in the first place.
  • D_H_TD_H_T daichi.guerite@gmail.com Join Date: 2020-05-05 Member: 260709Members
    edited May 2020
    Well since we're doing that, regretably...
    Right winger here, white, straight, christian.
    I really don't care about my character's gender and race nor do I think it's a bad thing if it comes up in the story (Not that I felt like it did). Likewise the story is fine to me and corny dialogues never stopped a game for being great. (Metal Gear, Devil May Cry and such).

Booting the game the first time I realized the char was female and my only reaction was probably something like 'aight',and I went on with my playthrough, utterly unafected. I don't think I even reacted when I saw the black skin on her hands.

Stop assuming that just because of our race and gender we'll hate the game, Robin or the story. Likewise stop assuming every negative comment is motivated my racism or sexism, this just sounds like a cheap deflection attempt.

I actually want to see where this is going, I'm interested in the story, and yeah I guess dialogues can't exactly be written as well as in Half-Life (for exemple, Alyx's dialogues were just fantastic) in every game, and that's fine.

Lastly, I saw someone write that: " There are definitely themes of misogyny and Mexican historical grievances throughout the original after all ..."
    No. Misoginy against whom? Ryley only ever spoke with the Leviathan, and that's it. And "Mexican historical grievances"? Come on now, just because he's hispanic doesn't mean he's here to make a political statement. Or that he's mexican.
    What I'm trying to say is stop trying to assign arbitrary labels to things and people when there's no need to. Humans are humans, and I love humanity as a whole. I'd hate to see people ironicaly divide it under the guise of "tolerance".
  • ChudovishChudovish Ru Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219418Members
    Yeah. Devs might noticed that all that ladies&gentlemen hated smth about main character (MC).
    Summ:
    1. It doesnt matter he or she the MC is. Cant remember any of that conversations from Subnautica 1 exept "give us the choise please".
    2. Race, ideology or sexual self-determination of MC may broke game experience for the part of community. Dont be sharp here and all be grateful.
    3. More human behavior. Its fu**** scary when an alien get under your skin. Normal human not acting like Robin. And if she speaks then it might be more emotional. "Oh, you here, in my head. Ok." Thats not enough.
    4. More logic in plot. Datapads in S1 were super, now its more walkie-talkie. You made it great once, fingers crossed you made it again. Al-An is more human-type than Robin. And how he learn her language first time? Again - that guys who wrote all that stuff in S1 - if you fired them then hire again, that was good.
    5. More water. Yes, we all understand why you making the ground level. But still not clear why we need to explore it or make a base - there is only one thing there and then we make our way back underwater. Last time I was there about 7 minutes - on a PRAWN that was easy.
    6. Weather conditions is great. More of that may give ground level a bit of interest.
  • AliradicaliAliradicali Join Date: 2019-02-12 Member: 250862Members
    For what it's worth, I didn't notice any overt political messages in Below Zero, but the decision to have a more talkative protagonist struck me as a poor one. Even with better dialogue, every time your character speaks it's a reminder that you're playing as a character in a video game. One thing that made Subnautica so immersive is that the game barely characterises Riley, there's no dialogue and you only see his shadow, blurry reflections and his hands and feet. It' very easy to slip into Riley as an avatar, much more so than with Robin, who is constantly making inane small-talk, reminding you that you're playing as someone else.
  • Dzima92Dzima92 Lithuania Join Date: 2020-05-18 Member: 261142Members
    edited May 2020
    can i play non steam game is it mean crack? or this illegal
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    edited May 2020
    The real game is only on Epic or Steam. Steam has some benefits for Below Zero, as it has the Experimental mode and prior versions available. (On epic, if the current version is broken, you just have to wait until the fix is released.) Edit: I think it's also on Discord.

Playing cracked version is illegal, and can give you viruses and malware. Not worth it saving $20 and ruining a PC worth a few hundred or more.
  • princess123princess123 Join Date: 2020-05-22 Member: 261249Members
    Dear Devs,
    In hopes that you actually read fan comments, please note this comment as sincere feedback. I loved Subnautica, one of my favorite games of all time, helped me address my insane fear of deep water. I thought the first one was brilliant. My feedback for Below Zero: the dialogue breaks that beautiful dark immersion that you created so well in the previous game. In hindsight, you should have kept with the same dialogue and storytelling style, you shouldnt have changed that because it was already perfect. Also, there was a certain humor in some of the item descriptions which is now absent, and I miss it. Also, I was hoping for new bioms, under the surface seems uninovative, like you didnt try to improve the most vital aspect of the game: underwater. No deep sea luminescence? No underwater ice caves? Ice surface is cool, would definitely keep exploring. Just seems like you went the wrong direction in some of your major changes. Seems like you didnt stay true to your original, brilliant creation, which is usually the danger of making sequels. The new concept Below Zero icey subnautica sequal sounds so amazing, will definitely keep playing and loving. Fingers crossed that you take feedback into consideration. Thank you dev team: keep creating!
  • craberavecraberave Join Date: 2020-06-04 Member: 261628Members
    Hi, I would like to know if the cloud is enabled on the Epic Games Store.
  • rsalmeirsalmei Join Date: 2020-06-27 Member: 262155Members
    AGAIN? Salad days invalidated save games again? Bad move... I won't be playing it anymore until it is completed then. I've invested +20 hours after lost ship, wouldn't imagine you'd do it again.
  • Megabyte94Megabyte94 Brisbane Join Date: 2019-11-24 Member: 255846Members
    Not sure why the added dialog is getting so much hate? I have stupid amounts of hours on the first game but I’m loving the dialog in below zero. I love feeling like I have a new purpose to be on this planet. It makes sense story wise to have some form of contact and I can’t wait to see what the devs come up with for the story. The added dialog reminds me of Firewatch (Delilah was easily the best part of that game). Love your work guys!
  • ReallyafanReallyafan Brazil Join Date: 2019-11-22 Member: 255798Members
    So, i love the original Subnautica so much im pretty much an Adept, and this people here on the comment section talking about how politically mainstream It should be are f*king buzzkill. THIS GAME IS A NEW FORM AND GENRE ON ITSELF, NOBODY NEVER DID A DEEP SEA EXPLORATION LIKE IT BEFORE, LET IT ROLL, MUDAFOCKAS. If you want to suck Trump or Biden balls, its on you, dont sh*t on other peoples experiences because of It. People in China, Germany, Brazil, Jamaica are going to play It too, not everything is about your Murican views about what makes your tits jingle, STOP RUINING OTHER PEOPLE EXPERIENCE BECAUSE YOU CANT DEAL WITH A GAME THAT HAS ONE OR TWO ELEMENTS YOU DISLIKE, YOU FREAKIN SPOILED BABIES.

Y'all dont even deserve videogames.

THAT SAID, the game should really push foward with the exploration and base building, make more of the Fauna that is collectable into usefull or integrated items, and make some secret pocket areas that are really just breathtaking, for the beauty of finding It while exploring. Some Shangri-La areas with special stuff, if you will, It really adds to the playing experience. Other than that, i very much trust you developers, SEEING THAT YOU ALREADY SPENT ALMOST A DECADE MAKING THE FIRST ONE, THAT TURNED OUT GREAT, WITHOUT KIDS SAYING THAT THEY WOULDNT VOTE FOR YOU IN GENERAL ELECTIONS.

Also, the Minimalism in the story of the first Subnautica was really great, It went beautifully with the general form of the game. Sometimes less is more.

Love y'all, really looking foward for the PS release.
  • LunesineLunesine Join Date: 2020-08-27 Member: 263590Members
    How about you stop changing the fucking story and go back to the original? The fact that its the same as the original now, is just the same fucking game but with a new coat of paint, COME ON GUYS. The original story with actually having contact with the sister and seeing their bond was so much fucking better. Stop changing the story. Bring back the old voice actor and the old story, this new voice actress, is not the robin. We know.
  • LunesineLunesine Join Date: 2020-08-27 Member: 263590Members
    Megabyte94 wrote: »
    Not sure why the added dialog is getting so much hate? I have stupid amounts of hours on the first game but I’m loving the dialog in below zero. I love feeling like I have a new purpose to be on this planet. It makes sense story wise to have some form of contact and I can’t wait to see what the devs come up with for the story. The added dialog reminds me of Firewatch (Delilah was easily the best part of that game). Love your work guys!

It's because they keep changing the story, when the original was fine and already completed this game would of been done by now if they stopped fucking with the story. The original was far better than it is now. Robin was a bubbly, sarcastic type who loved the idea of meeting an alien, her sister being apart of it and being a helpful hand through out. Altera being a threat. It was great. And it had great chemistry, this new story is just the old one with ice, and a new coat of paint =,=
  • orick22orick22 Join Date: 2020-12-15 Member: 266069Members
    I came here to try and find out what happened to the original story.... I guess something something politics happened. sucks. the current release's story is entertaining, but seeing parts of the OG story makes me want to play that as well. Will we ever see parts of that story again? the satellite, the avalanche in the beginning, the rocket, the juvenile sea emperor all seemed like really cool ideas.