When will Subnautica be fixed?

sigmund1410sigmund1410 Join Date: 2020-02-29 Member: 258383Members
Sup guys, my first thread here. Just a quick question -
Is there a patch for the first Subnautica on the way? I finished the game 3 times on the old version, wanted to start a 4th run, but the game's performance after the Little Big Update is so horrible that for me, it's unplayable. I'm getting severe fps drops on a decent PC on 1080p (i5 9400F, Rtx 2070, 16gb ram, Crucial SSD, 75hz monitor, all temps cool and stable). I know that the longer you play and build, the worse the performance gets, but I'm getting serious issues on a NEW game, even just swimming around without mining anything.

I already tried all the possible fixes I found on the net:
- permissions for the \ProgramData folder
- setting affinity via task manager
- Installing Performance Mod
- Verify steam game files
- Reinstall game
- DDU and reinstall gpu driver

However, some people with similar PC specs to mine claim they have no problems whatsoever. Is there a fix that I don't know of?
My problem occurs especially when being inside a seamoth, or swimming close to ship wrecks - on VSYNC enabled I'm getting drops from 75fps to as low as 40 :(

Comments

• _DELT4_DELT4 Spain Join Date: 2020-03-12 Member: 258679Members
    Idk. Ive been playing since 2017, bt there are still the same bugs and i cant play bc its awful. I don't understand why they created Subnautica Below Zero if Subnautica still has serious bugs, bt ok
  • KBNKBN Denmark Join Date: 2020-03-22 Member: 259049Members
    Yeah, so no activity here, and no response from the Devs I see.
    This was my favourite game of all time, and since the update it is, atm, unplayable with the amount of bugs I'm seeing. Not to mention the FPS drops.
    I was getting round 40-60 FPS on my i7-7700HQ - GTX 1060M and now I'm getting 10-30 FPS.
  • SeoFernandoSeoFernando Join Date: 2020-03-25 Member: 259134Members
    edited March 2020
    Hmm weird. Have you tried checking the GC's memory by pressing F1? Also, how is the rest of your system? Does it only happens on subnautica? Whats your CPU, RAM usage like when these drops happen?
    edited March 2020
    My system is running as it always has. No problems there.
    In the primary containment facility I'm at a constant 15 FPS using 20% CPU, 2.2 GB RAM (I have 16 GB) and 95-100% GPU.
    As I wrote, it's a GTX 1060M. Not the fastest GPU, but it had no problem getting to 40-60 FPS before the little big update.
    Subnautica has always been a horrible game for optimization, and the new update seems to be hammering that home.
    All that aside, that's not the biggest problem. The big problem is all the bugs. There seem to be alot more of them aswell.
    I've played through the game about 5-6 times, and have never seen this many before.
    The PRAWN won't grapple on to alot of the ground. The PRAWN gets super stuck in the ground of the alien bases. When exiting the PRAWN you become super small, like you're crawling along the floor. And whole host of other smaller bugs.
  • sigmund1410sigmund1410 Join Date: 2020-02-29 Member: 258383Members
    KBN wrote: »
    My system is running as it always has. No problems there.
    In the primary containment facility I'm at a constant 15 FPS using 20% CPU, 2.2 GB RAM (I have 16 GB) and 95-100% GPU.
    As I wrote, it's a GTX 1060M. Not the fastest GPU, but it had no problem getting to 40-60 FPS before the little big update.
    Subnautica has always been a horrible game for optimization, and the new update seems to be hammering that home.
    All that aside, that's not the biggest problem. The big problem is all the bugs. There seem to be alot more of them aswell.
    I've played through the game about 5-6 times, and have never seen this many before.
    The PRAWN won't grapple on to alot of the ground. The PRAWN gets super stuck in the ground of the alien bases. When exiting the PRAWN you become super small, like you're crawling along the floor. And whole host of other smaller bugs.

Same here - multitude of bugs I have never seen before in this game.
    About the performance... dude, i was able to play this game on FullHD, medium-high settings on a GTX 960m +6700HQ laptop before the update :(
    In my PC rig (9400F + RTX2070) The game uses around 15-20% cpu, and around 50-60% gpu.
    I'm not really mad about them trying to make the game better and messing that up.
    They are aware of the problem, and at least they should add the last stable version to a separate branch on steam so people could play the bug-less version.
    edited March 2020
    See that's pretty much my biggest problem with this whole situation. It's been 5 MONTHS since the Little Big Update...
    Where are the fixes? If they are aware of the problem, then why haven't they addressed it? And it's been total radio silence. I can't find a single official quote from a developer regarding these bugs. Have you seen any?
  • KyzarvsKyzarvs UK Join Date: 2019-08-08 Member: 254142Members
    edited April 2020
    Has there been a further patch since Little Big?

I've completed the game maybe a dozen times (12 days playtime / 27hr on below zero), picked it back up in the last few days (after a completion over Christmas) and I'm getting crashes to desktop every few minutes, which is a pain in the butt when you are trying to do another hardcore run. I ask if there's been a further patch as some textures look different - much more reflection on some surfaces like alien alloy and there's literally LOADS of stalker teeth dropping. I've always built a scanner room just to find teeth, but this play through I had 10 within the first half hour, literally coming across 3 at a time in the shallows without having to scour the vines. Frame rate is extremely poor with torch on, I think my PC is grunty enough for it (2700x / 16GB RAM / nvme install / 1080ti) and I'm not seeing problems with other apps at the moment.

Do hope the devs can spend some time to update us at least.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    edited April 2020
    There have been at least 2 smaller updates to attempt to improve performance. The most recent was Jan 9. You can find updates in the "announcements" section of the discord, linked in my signature.

Make sure to send an f8 report, with as much detail as possible. :)
  • KyzarvsKyzarvs UK Join Date: 2019-08-08 Member: 254142Members
    Thanks - also just noticed the bulkhead door opening / closing animation has been removed?!? Also had the problem where you load a game saved in the seamoth and you appear a couple of feet to one side, but still in it kinda...
    I understand, and accept, that Subnautica will never be a game without bugs, but this is just not good enough.
    Do the Devs even read these forums, or do they just not care? There is no way, that I've been able to find, of getting direct contact to them.
  • LutzkhieLutzkhie Philippines Join Date: 2020-04-05 Member: 259634Members
    Ikr hope it gets fixed i just bought it today
  • LutzkhieLutzkhie Philippines Join Date: 2020-04-05 Member: 259634Members
    I found another bug, but i cant post yet till tomorrow
    it was opening a standing locker from a distant while holding the habitat builder, it would raise his hand but nothing appears at somepoint the hand are twisted lol
  • 8BitPossum8BitPossum Alterra. HQ Join Date: 2020-04-05 Member: 259667Members
    edited April 2020
    It'll be fixed when yall learn to code lmfao. Being [rude] to the people who MADE the game, helps nobody. I don't blame them for not responding tbh.
  • AztacAztac Join Date: 2020-04-07 Member: 259731Members
    Hello together,
    I have been playing the game for a couple of days now and have read this thread here.

I hope it is ok if I ask a similar question in this thread because I can't create a thread myself yet.

So is it normal that even with a high end setup I don't have high FPS?

I have this setup:
    Graphics card: RTX 2080Ti 11GB
    CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X 12x 3.80GHz
    RAM: 32GB
    Resolution: 2560x1440

Nevertheless, I only get an average of 40-60FPS, sometimes more.
    In some biomes like the Kelp Forest or insiede the Aurora even below 30FPS.

Settings are currently set to high.
    Is there anything I can do to boost the FPS, or is that so normal?

Thx for helping

edited April 2020
    8BitPossum wrote: »
    It'll be fixed when yall learn to code lmfao. Being [rude] to the people who MADE the game, helps nobody. I don't blame them for not responding tbh.
    Stop being a blind fanboy and fight for the game you hopefully love. We haven't been rude to the Devs at any time, and you've got it backwards; the Devs not contacting us has nothing to do with how we're writing and everything to do with what we're writing about. Or maybe they just don't want to spend any more time on the original Subnautica. If that's the case, then we'll have a game we loveand spent money on, broken forever.
    I bought the game 2 times (one for me and one for my brother, who will probably never play it) to support this awesome game.
    We all bought a game, alot of us during early access, with the expectation of getting a playable game in the end. This game is, atm, broken enough that you'd expect it to still be in early access. It's been out for over 5 years!
    I had a look on youtube to find others with the same problems, and you can look at Gab Smolders' playthrough (fx. We finally meet - Subnautica [18]) and ChilledChaosGAME's playthrough (fx. TRAPPED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OCEAN! (Subnautica - Episode 11) and I'M IN LOVE WITH A SEA EMPEROR! (Subnautica - Episode 12) to see some of the problems people are having.
  • GringoBoy87GringoBoy87 Join Date: 2003-12-23 Member: 24702Members
    Aztac wrote: »
    Hello together,
    I have been playing the game for a couple of days now and have read this thread here.

I hope it is ok if I ask a similar question in this thread because I can't create a thread myself yet.

So is it normal that even with a high end setup I don't have high FPS?

I have this setup:
    Graphics card: RTX 2080Ti 11GB
    CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X 12x 3.80GHz
    RAM: 32GB
    Resolution: 2560x1440

Nevertheless, I only get an average of 40-60FPS, sometimes more.
    In some biomes like the Kelp Forest or insiede the Aurora even below 30FPS.

Settings are currently set to high.
    Is there anything I can do to boost the FPS, or is that so normal?

Thx for helping

I have a similar setup and am getting the same FPS. The FPS drop is most noticeable in my base. Like you, I'm running the game at max settings and at a similar resolution.

I've noticed that my CPU (i9-9900k) is always working far harder than my GPU. I don't imagine that this should be the case.

I'm frustrated that the devs havent dealt with the issue and that there isn't a way to contact the devs (outside of the in-game problem reporter).
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    Hi everyone, we're still very much working on Subnautica, fixing bugs, making it run faster, etc.

If you own the game on Steam, you will see that the "experimental" beta still gets updates almost every day. As always, we would like to bundle things up about once a month or so, get them tested, and then ship an update to all our platforms. That hasn't happened in a while because earlier this year we had to upgrade our game engine and that broke a bunch of different things on a bunch of different platforms. We've been working on fixing these new issues and we're getting closer to a release. The best you can do to help get the update out faster is to play the game on "experimental" and report any issues you find using the F8 feedback tool. I always appreciate a good bug report. <3
    LumpN wrote: »
    Hi everyone, we're still very much working on Subnautica, fixing bugs, making it run faster, etc.

If you own the game on Steam, you will see that the "experimental" beta still gets updates almost every day. As always, we would like to bundle things up about once a month or so, get them tested, and then ship an update to all our platforms. That hasn't happened in a while because earlier this year we had to upgrade our game engine and that broke a bunch of different things on a bunch of different platforms. We've been working on fixing these new issues and we're getting closer to a release. The best you can do to help get the update out faster is to play the game on "experimental" and report any issues you find using the F8 feedback tool. I always appreciate a good bug report. <3

Thank you for the info. Very nice to hear, that you're still working on it.
    You might consider putting something along the lines of what you just wrote, so that players know what's going on. Also, you are still linking to the Trello for development of Subnautica on your website. I can't see any activity on that for the past few years.
    All we are asking for is a little information on what's going on with the game we all love.
    Thank you again for writing back, and hopefully fixing this amazing game.
  • Friday13Friday13 Bucharest Join Date: 2020-04-06 Member: 259714Members
    Hi,
    I'm playing Below Zero on experimental and I've been reporting the bugs found, not much experience into this but I try to help as I can't wait to enjoy the full game. You guys did an outstanding work with Subnautica and this is my form of thanking you for it. The part that you decided to change the story for Below Zero made me appreciate you even more (:
    I think we can be more efficient if you would give us a brief list maybe, of what you fixed/added to the game and prevent us from moving blindly around the game and maybe even missing the things you're working on.
    "I always appreciate a good bug report." how should that look?
    Thanks, stay safe xD
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    edited April 2020
    For f8 reports, include an email in case they want to respond(won't usually happen). Be detailed where possible. Saying "It's broken" could mean many different things, but saying "The computer crashes to desktop when I approach Aurora from here" would help them more.
  • aaronblablaaaronblabla Join Date: 2020-04-15 Member: 260074Members
    I'm quitting subnautica and wanted to post somewhere after hours of frustration. Mainly for me it is the scanner room. It no longer scans for fragments and I build it to find fragments. I'm sure there is a complicated workaround I'm just tired of trying to get things working. I'm not going to wait a day before I can post a new thread. So just saying bye here. It was such a waste of time playing a game that half works. I wish I never played at all. Frustrating.
  • grizwald87grizwald87 Join Date: 2020-04-16 Member: 260105Members
    So weird which bugs show up for which people. I had a mercifully bug-free playthrough, with a couple small exceptions.
  • YT_DroningAndGoingYT_DroningAndGoing Join Date: 2020-04-17 Member: 260140Members
    @LumpN Is there experimental on Xbox? My bulkhead doors and hatches don’t have animations anymore. I was planning on getting it in pc but on the Microsoft store that way my progress will sync. I just wish my animations were back because it really makes the game look smoother and more normal. Not laggy every time you open a bulkhead. It just skips it, the bug is very strange. I heard some people say it happens when you build your base very large but I made my base super small and the bug was still there.
  • alexv8720alexv8720 Join Date: 2020-04-19 Member: 260215Members
    I am told I am supposed to make one post before I could make new topics... so here's my post...
  • EddyBrockZEddyBrockZ Mexico City, Mexico Join Date: 2020-04-22 Member: 260299Members
    Yep same as my homie alex above, btw, is this also subnautica bz related? cuz if so, I wanna know if possible an estimation of how long will it take for subnautica bz to be playeable on mac, cuz i bought it but it seems rn a unity problem or some stuff like that is happening making the game unplayeable on mac and my other toshiba pc is a little crappy:(
  • SebMacSebMac UK Join Date: 2020-04-12 Member: 259948Members
    I hate that there isn't someone to contact directly with an issue. I'm only posting this comment because I have to post once before I can speak about the issue I'm having.
  • GeniusboGeniusbo Belarus Join Date: 2020-04-26 Member: 260407Members
    LumpN wrote: »

When will there be discounts for PS4 and update?
  • lilmoustenlilmousten Join Date: 2020-04-25 Member: 260396Members
    edited June 2020
    probly will never get fixed they can't even fix the prawn suit bug that fall thru map even after 2 years. They don't even answer the threads man. Like buy my [censored] game even tho isnt working properly and you cant complete it but hey i dont care, i have your money in my pocket!
  • GeniusboGeniusbo Belarus Join Date: 2020-04-26 Member: 260407Members
    edited June 2020
    lilmousten wrote: »
    probly will never get fixed they can't even fix the prawn suit bug that fall thru map even after 2 years. They don't even answer the threads man. Like buy my [censored] game even tho isnt working properly and you cant complete it but hey i dont care, i have your money in my pocket!

So if you complain to the Ps store? Let them stop selling a buggy project.
  • SpeedyMouseSpeedyMouse Join Date: 2020-04-03 Member: 259579Members
    I feel like there's lots of things unknown worlds could still do to improve subnautica even though they're making subnautica below zero. There are many glitches, things they should add and more. No hate to the devs I understand how hard it is but stil...