Base wear and tear over time

AmtheminerAmtheminer Join Date: 2020-02-14 Member: 257893Members
edited February 2020 in Ideas and Suggestions
After a while your base will start to get dirty, then rust will form causing the hull to loose integrity in which you must either cut it off via lazer cutter or by slowly chipping it away with your survival knife or thermoblade. If left for too long the rust can weaken the hull so much it becomes a rupture that you repair with a repair tool. The deeper you are the faster and more commonly rust grows. the inactive lava zone and the lava lakes are the only places this doesnt occur. Green brine will speed up the procces by 2X and blue brine will slow the procces by 2X.

Comments

• borisirelandborisireland Join Date: 2020-03-05 Member: 258506Members
    I'd like the idea of old rusted bases appearing like time capsules. Similar to the degasi bases but from other people's playthroughs. Just the buildings mind you, no gear you can use and only able to destruct them too titanium
  • darrindarrin Frankfurt; Germany Join Date: 2019-02-15 Member: 250965Members
    edited March 2020
    Well, rust would be strange for a base made of titanium, but some funghi growing (similar to the texture of Maida's base) would be cool. Would require some extra texture layer though to override the base color chosen by the player.
  • nefiirianefiiria Join Date: 2018-02-18 Member: 237839Members
    I like the idea of the outside of your base getting overgrown with plant life, algae, etc. That would be a cool idea
  • Deep_EuphoriaDeep_Euphoria Join Date: 2020-03-30 Member: 259341Members
    Now I like this idea, a lot. As already mentioned rust wouldn't work as only Iron rusts, but barnacles, algae, fungi, small plants all growing over it and even the occasional small crack if maintenance has been neglected for some time that left unchecked could start leaking. I really like this idea, as long as it's balanced so I'm not cleaning the entire hull every few hours.

Great idea.
    edited March 2020
    The question is how to implement it. Players could just deconstruct and rebuild certain parts. That's why I would start with a purely cosmetic feature. Maybe as a special base color (like a camouflage, gradient or special texture option); as a new compartment variant (you could cycling between normal, glass or a worn-out variant by pressing 'F'); fix wall/ceiling upgrades (like outside wall planters); or as special items (similar to spotlights or exterior plant shelves).

Only once the devs found out what really works, they should consider to make it an automatic game mechanic. Because I might not like it on observatories or it might require to keep track of another useless status / number.
  • TAJocelynTAJocelyn Join Date: 2020-03-16 Member: 258824Members
    Crusty textures would form as the base loses integrity over time?
    So the crusty textures would revert to brand new when you repair the base?
    Sounds like this is a good basic idea.
    Should be easy to to implement as all your doing is adding a texture override based on items h.p.'s. The code doesn't even have to remember as the base code already tracks integrity for damage and flooding.
    You would have to add damage over time to trigger the change.
  • BoffBoff Sweden Join Date: 2018-08-12 Member: 242804Members
    edited April 2020
    TAJocelyn wrote: »
    Crusty textures would form as the base loses integrity over time?
    So the crusty textures would revert to brand new when you repair the base?
    Sounds like this is a good basic idea.
    Should be easy to to implement as all your doing is adding a texture override based on items h.p.'s. The code doesn't even have to remember as the base code already tracks integrity for damage and flooding.
    You would have to add damage over time to trigger the change.
    Well, although I have to admit that I don't fully understand Subnautica's concept of crush damage, BaseHullStrength victims, LiveMixins & Leakables, I think you don't want texture overrides based on hitpoints because you don't want crusty textures to spawn whenever a sea monster attacks your base or whenever your PRAWN damages your base.

So you either need something on top of hitpoints (secondary hitpoint system) or a completely new system.

Using an armor or shield value on top of hitpoints would be a common example for a secondary hitpoint system. It means that most damage types simply bypass the armor/shield and attack the hitpoints directly, except for the wear. Crusts would then be similar to Leakables, just using the armor/shield fraction rather than the health fraction to calculate the number of visible crusts. 'Repairing' the crusts might then restore these 'armor/shield points'.

But you might run into problems displaying this value, just like you usually don't see the hitpoint value of your base. And unlike hull integrity problems that occur only when you're right next to the base, such a wear effect might damage a base far away.

Which would then lead to something more similar to an energy system for materials. I.e. there are special 'power consumers' and your base starts at a certain power level. This value slowly drops and when it reaches a certain treshold, texture overlays are added (instead of flickering lights) or it actual starts dealing damage. You would then have to display this 'material energy' score in your control room.

However, neither of the above system takes into considerations whether your base is fragile or heavily reinforced. So you might want to consider the use of a hull integrity coefficient (the degree of wear) instead. In other words, a moonpool wouldn't always substract -5 from your total integrity... depending on the wear, it might even add -10 instead.

The question is then, whether this should be limited or not. I.e. would a +100 hull integrity base eventually take damage as well? Such a system would also have a similar issue of displaying the coefficient. You might only 'guess' that a certain level is 'safe'. And 'repairing' the wear might than require something different than restoring an armor/shield value or resetting an energy level.

More generally spoken, there are certain considerations:

Should wear affect each single compartment?
    Should it be similar for every base piece?
    What about foundations usually being invincible?
    What about wall modifications, like windows?
    What about attached items like flood lights?
    What about above sea level bases; should they create crusts or or a different effect (maybe icicles) although they usually don't count for hull integrity (due to the lack of water pressure)?

All in all, I wouldn't really say that it's 'easy to implement'.
  • UUestleyUUestley US Join Date: 2020-05-03 Member: 260636Members
    I would hope we aren't on the planet long enough to experience base degradation. I mean, how long has Maida been there?
  • BrolocaustBrolocaust Join Date: 2019-07-21 Member: 253849Members
    I don't feel like base maintenance would be a meaningful addition to the gameplay. It would just be another chore that needs to be done and it would make it very difficult to have multiple bases.
  • BertHunterBertHunter Join Date: 2020-06-07 Member: 261683Members
    It sounds very cool and I really like the idea of bases decaying faster the deeper they are, but I am not sure I would like to fix my base(s) on a fixed regular interval.
    I would much more prefer damage from hostile creatures/environments with options to prevent this damage like the concept of the (nonworking) Alien Sonic Deterrents in the base game which would use up a lot of power as buildable base pieces or exterior/interior modules.