Severe degradation of performance on MacOS (Mojave)

GalwitzGalwitz Join Date: 2020-03-02 Member: 258440Members
I have been playing the original Subnautica as well as Below Zero (since summer 2019) on this very same machine without any issue whatsoever. However after the latest Lost Ship update (build February 2020 / 24222) the game is suddenly very choppy. In fact it has became unplayable because of that. Even the lowest graphics settings do not help, actually I see no noticeable difference.

Specs: MacBook Pro 2014, MacOS 10.14.6 Mojave, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB memory, Intel Iris Pro graphics.

Anyone else experiencing the same? Any suggestions?

Comments

• Aj_wizzAj_wizz Join Date: 2020-03-08 Member: 258589Members
    I have been playing Below Zero with no issue on my iMac since the early access started. But after this Lost Ship update, not only did I have a lot of issues just being able to run the game, but now when I do manage to get it going it freezes at the beginning of the game when robin gets out of bed and reaches for her pda. I've tried everything, and i am a little happy to know its a game issue and nothing with my computer, but I also really hope the devs see that a lot of people are having this issue and provide a solution. I really want to play the new updates.
  • alixcalixc Join Date: 2020-03-21 Member: 258977Members
    I'm having the exact same issue (just in regular subnautica, I don't have below zero), I was pretty sure it was very playable when I last played it (2016 haha rip) and now I get like 5 fps, both in the main menu and in the game, even at the lowest settings. sometimes at the lowest resolution with the lowest settings it would occasionally get up to 30, but that was rare even then. lots of big lag spikes and overall unplayable. Really hoping for a patch, although I'm considering running the Windows version in Wine so that I can add the nitrox mod, I'd probably get much higher fps that way haha.

Specs: 15' MacBook Pro Mid-2014, MacOS 10.14.6 Mojave, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB memory, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB / Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB.
  • SubSabSubSab Join Date: 2020-03-24 Member: 259098Members
    Is there any way to revert this update in steam?
  • alixcalixc Join Date: 2020-03-21 Member: 258977Members
    SubSab, I tried but was not able to figure it out. It seems the older versions aren't available, even in 3rd party sites that make that sorta info available, but I could have missed something
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Steam players can play old versions of Below Zero, Directions here in the section, "What if I want to keep playing my current save?"