Subnautica: Below Zero Story Changes and Save Games - Subnautica

Comments

• RedleafsRedleafs Join Date: 2020-03-11 Member: 258664Members
    Hey all, thought I'd start giving some feedback to help the game out :)

I haven't played since the November update, but decided to take another look to see what's been changed recently. I believe I just downloaded the newest experimental version explained above (where you crash during the meteor shower).

First thoughts:
    After loading into the game for the first time, one minor thing that bothered me was not being able to read the data on your tablet right away without swimming to the pod. Not sure if this is intended or not but you essentially have to be indoors to read anything because you are constantly drowning or freezing to death on the water's surface. I'm all for a challenge though since I thought the first game was relatively easy. I think the temperature gauge is a great addition!

Story:
    I know the story is probably farrr from complete and may drastically change yet but right now I like the approach it is giving. The dialogue seemed kinda weird in the previous versions and I'm hoping it will be "smoother", not sure that's the right word, for the final release. Less "out of place" maybe? Also don't know if the main character even talks anymore? I know some people may disagree with the changes and really liked the character development from all the dialogue but honestly I'd be fine either way. Feeling alone, (but not completely this time) is how it all started and makes the world seem more threatening.

As for this sort of undercover idea, I like the feel of it and think it could pan out well tracking down Sam rather then Jeoffreys because
    of her more direct relationship making it higher stakes... plus it really makes sense if Alterra is the antagonist... I always thought in the first game they didn't really seem like good people considering they are 'invading' planets to build the timegates or whatever it was.

Lastly:
    Graphics are amazing as always, especially the sky/weather cycles this time! I'm sure more will change and can't wait to continue exploring my new save + whatever comes next. Keep up the great work!

SpyderSoup wrote: »
    I gotta say, the new story's intro looks way too similar to the orignal game. I guess it's because we're used to seeing the story feature a lot more dialogue. If this is what you decided to do for now on, here's one thing you could do is have Robin make a survival diary and have her write in what happened in the intro and why she did it.

In the databanks there is a section called "Personal Log" which is basically like her diary. It will be interesting to see what else they add to it :)
  • guyrexguyrex Join Date: 2020-03-12 Member: 258680Members
    just wonders when is the newest update will be on the epic games launcher?
  • debegraydebegray California Join Date: 2015-08-27 Member: 207519Members
    I like the new story and I can see why you decided to go in that direction. I do think that new players might not figure out that they should head for the falling pod and the water before they freeze to death, however. I also love the new(?) thing with the sea monkeys. Not sure if it's new or if I didn't get far enough before the update for this to happen.
  • edwardb29edwardb29 massachosetts Join Date: 2020-03-15 Member: 258778Members
    I have a question have they put in the depth modules for the prawn suit in below zero yet
  • CDRG7CDRG7 Join Date: 2020-03-16 Member: 258819Members
    Since latest release, games on both of our accounts freeze as soon as a sound file starts. This happens in a new game as soon as Robin stands and in saved games whenever I get a message as when ever I try to approach Rocket Island. I get the colored spinning Disk and when I go to Force Quit to check status I see it is not responding. I let the spinning disk go for about ten minutes with no change. I really would like to see the new changes and explore while you are developing, but it is unplayable now. I have seen other with this same issue. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game to no effect. I trash some old Snap files also no effect. No longer a bits and bytes guy and don't want to be- but will follow a set of directions if provided. I and my wife both really enjoy the Subnautica experience and its been over a month since this has stopped us from playing- hoping another update or download fix would correct the problem. Help!
  • MariusLaurentiu37MariusLaurentiu37 romania Join Date: 2020-03-02 Member: 258432Members
    the new update can be played
  • MariusLaurentiu37MariusLaurentiu37 romania Join Date: 2020-03-02 Member: 258432Members
    i download it the new version to play it but when i enter to start the game sends me on steam i wanna know why
  • NiennaNienna Join Date: 2020-03-04 Member: 258472Members
    Anyone know when this will be released to the stable version? Or whatever it is you call the non experimental version.
  • Jeff6591Jeff6591 geoffreylamoureux9@gmail.com Join Date: 2020-03-21 Member: 258984Members
    Sub Zero is an awesome game thus far... I Ioved Subnautica it was so different from anything out there, I found it relaxing...no run and gun for me...
    Below Zero is growing on me now...I love base building so I hope to get access to the item codes for a little more flavor in my base..make it look lived in kinda... :) stacks of papers, cups,plates, pens..crumpled paper...stuff like that.. MY WISH! :)
  • LukeTheNuke3000LukeTheNuke3000 Join Date: 2019-11-29 Member: 256005Members
    Yo to any developers (like @DavidKalina or anyone working on this beautiful game),

I know that you don't like to give us an approx. time of release because of false hope if god forbid something dreadful happens but when about in the year (middle, late etc.) would be the ideal time for you plz? Just curious and wanting to know when 1.0 is released (so I know that hopefully SN BZ is coming to xbox). Not trying to put pressure or anything just somewhat curious.

This is also really annoying for me because I am really excited for SN BZ, but whenever it feels like we're getting close, it suddenly goes so far away. For any devs reading this, I am an Xbox One Subnautica player that is really excited for BZ, but I'm starting to lose hope for it. Any response, even a "We're sorry, but we don't know.", would confirm for me that you are still working really hard for console players (which I'm sure you are, but a bit of confirmation would be nice), that would mean so much.

Sincerely, you're loyal fan, LukeTheNuke
  • ZombieRanger219ZombieRanger219 Uk Join Date: 2019-11-13 Member: 255547Members
    Hi I was just wondering if you are butting subnautica below zero on xboxone and ps4 because all my mates keep on saying to me you need to get blow zero because its a really good game
  • Hpeasley16Hpeasley16 Join Date: 2019-02-23 Member: 251253Members
    I am a fan of the original subnautica on xbox one. Loved it. When I saw some youtubers playing Subnautica Below Zero on Early Acess i was ravenous to play. However I shortly realized it is not on Xbox one. I have a suggestion. I know you guys work really hard on it and with the Corona Virus it might have slowed progress but I am so anxious to play. My suggestion is that you just put a really early game on Xbox so people can start buying it. And then have the same controlls that were on the original game. Then they can just have the game and not have to wait for the full release to buy it, but just have to wait for updates and then when thw full version starts they can start over again but without paying extra. Please respond and consider this idea. You guys are working really hard and I love how Below Zero looks already. Thanks. Please reply!!
  • XaddreXaddre Minnesota Join Date: 2020-03-09 Member: 258616Members
    I love Subnautica and I am now at this minute downloading Subnautica below zero I play on mouse and keyboard now but when I used to play on controller on Xbox I hated when I sprinted on land because it would hurt my thumb from holding down spring the whole time I would suggest making it a sprint toggle like most games on Xbox when you release this game because from what I have heard that a lot of the game is on land
  • YukuaiYukuai Italy Join Date: 2017-06-26 Member: 231362Members
    We need the patch, we need the game. Love for Subnautica <3
  • Daxdax123Daxdax123 California, USA Join Date: 2020-03-25 Member: 259118Members
    Can't wait to see what the new story is going to be like!!! Love your guy's work so far!!! Keep up the good work and stay safe from the nasty Covid 19 Virus.
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    All I see here is more evidence that this company doesn't understand its own success.
    We’ve spent a lot of time analyzing the problems with the surface and debating possible solutions.

It's right there in the game's name - Subnautica.
    We’re looking to make the surface more connected with the rest of the game, to better motivate exploration and discovery, and to improve existing creatures and tools. If you’re curious about the specifics, have a look around our Favro; you can see what everyone is working on (outside of story spoilers).

So you're making that horrifically common and arrogant mistake of totally ignoring what players want and twisting the rest of the game into forcing them to play content you know they don't enjoy.

I've seen many developers try that and all failed miserably.

It looks like you've accepted that no-one wants to hear the inane babbling vagina monologues and are re-doing the story. Smart.

Cut your losses here. Minimize the amount of time players are required to spend above ground. Get rid of the stupidly annoying sea monkeys. Offer players a choice of gender - also in the original game.
  • MardyMardy Join Date: 2019-03-09 Member: 251615Members
    Couldn't agree more with Halios. What made Subnautica really really great was it was under water - as in the name, you are the kings of that 100%. As soon as you move it above water its competing with far too may established games and its a bit crap - simple as that. Keep it under water where you rule. Secondly and again in total agreement with Halios the inane woke drivel of the current storey ruined the game, get woke - go broke, you gave us a none white male character with an agenda - just stop that rubbish, I turned the sound off in the end so I didn't have to listen to that diatribe
  • Sith_Empire_IncSith_Empire_Inc Join Date: 2020-03-31 Member: 259403Members
    Much agreed. Keeping the isolated atmosphere of deep ocean is what set the game apart. Entering the ground based world is asking for trouble. Seasoned developers who have leaps and bounds of background as well as revenue in designing open world or combat based games, might see a chance to monopolize competition at that point. Specialize in what you already are professionals in. Just my 2 cents.
  • Hpeasley16Hpeasley16 Join Date: 2019-02-23 Member: 251253Members
    I am a fan of the original subnautica on xbox one. Loved it. When I saw some youtubers playing Subnautica Below Zero on Early Acess i was ravenous to play. However I shortly realized it is not on Xbox one. I have a suggestion. I know you guys work really hard on it and with the Corona Virus it might have slowed progress but I am so anxious to play. My suggestion is that you just put a really early game on Xbox so people can start buying it. And then have the same controlls that were on the original game. Then they can just have the game and not have to wait for the full release to buy it, but just have to wait for updates and then when thw full version starts they can start over again but without paying extra. Please respond and consider this idea. You guys are working really hard and I love how Below Zero looks already. Thanks. Please reply!!
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    Mardy wrote: »
    Secondly and again in total agreement with Halios the inane woke drivel of the current storey ruined the game, get woke - go broke, you gave us a none white male character with an agenda - just stop that rubbish, I turned the sound off in the end so I didn't have to listen to that diatribe

I also turned the sound off.

In the original game you crash land by yourself on alien planet. It's the ultimate great escape. Even with the varied aquatic terrors it's a largely restful experience.

Below Zero drops you on the same planet but with your sister in orbit and constantly in your ear. So it plays more like a really bad day at work with embarrassing family in tow. Not my idea of a good time.

And the dialog is cringeworthy.

Both of them are supposed to be highly trained scientists working for a major interstellar corporation, but there's eg. the sister totally randomly and unprofessionally talking about having shared a womb. It feels like the writers hamfistedly signalling that this game is now packed with vagina, without any thought for credibility or portraying women realistically or positively.

Even the new control a robot to take a picture of yourself mechanic feels like its there primarily so you don't forget that you're a woman.

Which I'm not and don't want to be.
  • TeluTelu teluhive5@gmail.com Join Date: 2020-04-05 Member: 259648Members
    a date for update?
  • Nwilson82Nwilson82 Join Date: 2020-04-07 Member: 259716Members
    Don’t if the developers will see this amongst the thousands of comments but...
    I for one absolutely loved Subnautica! I’ve played I don’t know how many times, and it’s still a thrill. The base building was probably my favorite, but the story and creatures were awesome as well. I have watched YouTube player, Jacksepticeye, more specifically, play Below Zero, and I can honestly say I’m looking forward to it. The going above ground is a bold move for y’all to make, seeing as it’s an underwater game mostly, but that’s totally fine! As far as above ground goes, I know I’d like to be able to build a full base, not just pieces, above ground and if possible connected to some structures for my base underwater. That’s just my two cents on the game. Oh yea, and I’d absolutely love to see even bigger creatures, just like to the skeleton in the lost river of Subnautica, alive of course. Thanks for all of your hard work on this series of games and looking forward to the future of what y’all can do!
  • helix427helix427 Join Date: 2020-04-12 Member: 259969Members
    Halios wrote: »
    Secondly and again in total agreement with Halios the inane woke drivel of the current storey ruined the game, get woke - go broke, you gave us a none white male character with an agenda - just stop that rubbish, I turned the sound off in the end so I didn't have to listen to that diatribe

I also turned the sound off.

In the original game you crash land by yourself on alien planet. It's the ultimate great escape. Even with the varied aquatic terrors it's a largely restful experience.

Below Zero drops you on the same planet but with your sister in orbit and constantly in your ear. So it plays more like a really bad day at work with embarrassing family in tow. Not my idea of a good time.

And the dialog is cringeworthy.

Both of them are supposed to be highly trained scientists working for a major interstellar corporation, but there's eg. the sister totally randomly and unprofessionally talking about having shared a womb. It feels like the writers hamfistedly signalling that this game is now packed with vagina, without any thought for credibility or portraying women realistically or positively.

Even the new control a robot to take a picture of yourself mechanic feels like its there primarily so you don't forget that you're a woman.

Which I'm not and don't want to be.

OK. Let me start by saying that I just finished playing the original Subnautica, I absolutely loved it, and I am sad that my playthrough is now over. I was extremely excited to buy and play Subnautica Below Zero, even though it is currently in alpha, until I saw this post I quoted above.

I am a white male, and there is currently an extreme amount of hatred for white males in the popular culture of the western world, in conjunction with the leftist woke / intersectionality / social justice ideology.

Although Subnautica Below Zero does not appear to directly attack white males based on what I have read, woke ideology generally does. Consequently, the fact that it is full of woke ideology as well as a ridiculous amount of "woke drivel" as described above made me refrain from buying the game, or else I would have in a heartbeat.

As explained above, the women in this game are not portrayed realistically. Any normal human being alone on the surface of an alien world in freezing waters infested with hostile leviathans and carnivorous fish would be seriously scared and not exude the permanent, unwavering determination and optimism that this woman does in the game. If you want an accurate portrayal of a realistic strong woman under stress, watch the first 3 alien movies with Sigourney Weaver, or Linda Hamilton in terminator 1 and 2. The conduct if the woman in this game is not that. She is portrayed as being psychologically invulnerable, which is an almost comical concept. She is the perfect ideal of what woke leftists think a woman should be. This completely breaks the immersion in the story of the game and reminds the player of the modern 21st century woke leftist political agenda. That in turn makes the game unplayable for me.

I hope the developers come to their senses and fix this before the official release, or I will not buy the game at all. Get woke, go broke.
  • fredflinstonfredflinston Spain Join Date: 2020-04-15 Member: 260060Members
    CDRG7 wrote: »
    Since latest release, games on both of our accounts freeze as soon as a sound file starts. This happens in a new game as soon as Robin stands. I get the colored spinning Disk and when I go to Force Quit to check status I see it is not responding. ....

I have the same issue, on Epic, MacOS 10.15.4 (previous update worked fine on 10.13), have tried reinstall, low res windowed game, high res full screen, same issue, as soon as mouse control is enabled after Robin gets up, the game hangs... anybody any ideas? Or if maybe this will be fixed when the new story becomes available on Epic?
    PD I also changed my GPU from an Nvidia GTX1070 on 10.13, to an AMD RX Vega 64 on 10.15, but supposedly the AMD card is even better supported than the Nvidia (webdriver), so not sure if this could have been an issue..?

Thanks!
  • yeeterskeeter3009yeeterskeeter3009 13 Evergreen Teris Join Date: 2020-04-14 Member: 260046Members
  • CatsyCatsy Join Date: 2020-04-19 Member: 260185Members
    Oh good grief. Look at all these buzzwords pretending to be constructive feedback. It's remarkable how un-self-consciously threatened some people get by being "forced" to play as a female character, let alone a (quelle horreur!) non-white character.

"inane babbling vagina monologues"
    "leftist woke / intersectionality / social justice ideology"
    "none white male character with an agenda"

Protip: the only people here with an agenda that is not "have fun with Subnautica" are those bleating out loaded right-wing nonsense like the above. Fortunately, this sort of non-issue seems to upset them so much that they can't stop themselves from ranting about their own agenda--loudly and clearly enough be able to avoid wasting time taking this kind of "feedback" seriously.

I liked the old story, and the way it distinguished itself from the beginning of the original Subnautica, but I don't dislike what I can see of the new one--not enough of it is really in place to form a major impression. Being portrayed as someone who isn't actually supposed to be there helps explain why we're not getting more support from orbit, and helps maintain the feeling of isolation that the original had, but which the old story undermined somewhat.

The game still has major conveyance issues, but the original SN had that as well, and largely solved them by using radio messages and beacon waypoints to nudge the player towards places where they'd find their next bread crumbs. Once more of that story-dependent structure is in place, I imagine there will be fewer progression walls.
  • QqponQqpon Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230653Members
    Catsy, the people above you made really good points.

The leftist-ideology as we could call it, is really sprawling and damaging the inner form of art in video games.

We don't play a game to be given constant subtle moral lessons, and reminders, by people who actually have values we don't share.

It's not immoral to be more sided for the right-wing, but it's really depressing, that the modern video game industry mostly sided with the left ideology, and started to show ostensibly that it should be a moral standard for everyone.

If unknownworlds go that way, I swear, that's a good enough reason in itself to keep away from them forever, whatever respect we may have for them nonetheless.
    Catsy wrote: »
    Oh good grief. Look at all these buzzwords pretending to be constructive feedback. It's remarkable how un-self-consciously threatened some people get by being "forced" to play as a female character, let alone a (quelle horreur!) non-white character.

Oh good grief, look at this lefty pretending to be superior with all his/her/zee buzzwords

"un-self-consciously threatened"
    " "Forced" to play as a female character"
    "(quelle horreur!) non-white character"

what I was giving WAS constructive feedback, attempting to get this developer to see the error of their ways and not go dont the route of so many who loose touch with the majority of people that pay their wages. To be clear, I couldn't care less what gender the character is, nor what colour and whenever I get the choice I normally choose a female character (normally loosely based on my wife), the point you will never understand but I am hopeful the devs finally got a grip of is that pushing agendas in a video game will simply spoil the game for the majority who don't want that in a game, we want a game, escapism, a little fantasy and some action - end of, what you are hoping for is an end to anything recognisable that doesn't have a "strong female character" portrayed in some mind numbingly silly representation (you should go watch the new James Bond film - that has all your favourites and is set to kill the franchise (I hear you cheering)

Back on topic and very seriously - make the game a game - keep the leftist woke crap out of it - get woke, go broke
  • nuker1nuker1 Join Date: 2020-03-17 Member: 258842Members
    Back on topic and very seriously - make the game a game - keep the leftist woke crap out of it - get woke, go broke

Jesus, you got so majorly triggered that I can see you drowning in your pool of snowflake tears from the stratosphere.

Are most video games pushing their white-supremacist ethno-state neo-colonization agenda by having white men? Or do they just happen to have white men?

Ryley from the original looks hispanic. Perhaps the devs were pushing their machismo, modern reconquista agenda by implying the planet was Nuevo Texas? There are definitely themes of misogyny and Mexican historical grievances throughout the original after all ...

Where do you get any hint of a leftist agenda in the game besides the mere existence of the main character? I played through the whole thing so far and nada ... It's just a game about a woman trying to find her sister and running into shenanigans along the way.
    nuker1 wrote: »

Jesus, you got so majorly triggered that I can see you drowning in your pool of snowflake tears from the stratosphere.

Are most video games pushing their white-supremacist ethno-state neo-colonization agenda by having white men? Or do they just happen to have white men?

Ryley from the original looks hispanic. Perhaps the devs were pushing their machismo, modern reconquista agenda by implying the planet was Nuevo Texas? There are definitely themes of misogyny and Mexican historical grievances throughout the original after all ...

Where do you get any hint of a leftist agenda in the game besides the mere existence of the main character? I played through the whole thing so far and nada ... It's just a game about a woman trying to find her sister and running into shenanigans along the way.

Lol who got triggered - not worthy of much of a response but it did make me giggle.... :smiley: