Does the new story offer any direction? [Old story spoilers]

CoreadorCoreador USA Join Date: 2016-01-12 Member: 211310Members
I've been trying the new story on experimental and it seems like it either doesn't exist, isn't working, or is going totally sandbox. Everything I've found except the first supply drop was only because I already knew where it was from the previous story. After going to the alien sanctuary, I ended up with the alien in my head. A little later there was a voice message that failed with a resource not found error. Since then nothing has happened to guide me. I found the builder, built a base, built a truck, went to Rocket Island and all the normal previous actions and nothing really happened except for being ambushed by Marguerite Maida on Rocket Island. I continued to do the old things in hopes of triggering some new stuff. I went through the Mercury II, got the salvage, fixed Alterra's radio tower (though that makes little sense in this story), and built a rocket that won't go anywhere. I guess I'll head on to the glacial basin next, but I'm not sure why I'd know to go there or if it has any meaning in this story. All I've really experienced of the new story is the intro and initial drop of the lifepod.

Is this because all of that isn't written yet? If that's true then I feel this was a little early to push it, even to experimental. Or did I hit a bug and break my progress somewhere? Will the new story involve doing basically the same things with different reasons, or are we supposed to be doing completely different actions?

Has anyone gotten further?

Comments

• eithraeithra Join Date: 2020-03-08 Member: 258593Members
    Nope, have the same glitch on the story scripts not engaging.
  • aldefenderaldefender Russia Join Date: 2020-03-08 Member: 258598Members
    edited March 2020
    I found the builder, built a base, built a truck, went to Rocket Island and all the normal previous actions and nothing really happened except for being ambushed by Marguerite Maida on Rocket Island. I continued to do the old things in hopes of triggering some new stuff. I went through the Mercury II, got the salvage, fixed Alterra's radio tower (though that makes little sense in this story), and built a rocket that won't go anywhere. I guess I'll head on to the glacial basin next, but I'm not sure why I'd know to go there or if it has any meaning in this story. All I've really experienced of the new story is the intro and initial drop of the lifepod.

Is this because all of that isn't written yet? If that's true then I feel this was a little early to push it, even to experimental. Or did I hit a bug and break my progress somewhere? Will the new story involve doing basically the same things with different reasons, or are we supposed to be doing completely different actions?

Has anyone gotten further?

I have exactly the same problem. I thought I broke the story when I repaired the radio tower and only then went to ALAN. I wrote to the developers - they are silent. Duplicated on the Steam forum - also do not respond. I don’t know what to do - go ahead or wait for the update. The main problem is I don’t know how to get the depth module for a sea truck. Previously, it was necessary to repair the radio tower. Now how?
    I hope that even here the developers will answer something.

I don’t want to spend 8 hours again, if it suddenly turns out that I need to go through again after the update.
  • CoreadorCoreador USA Join Date: 2016-01-12 Member: 211310Members
    You can use the console to trigger the appropriate supply drop to get the depth module blueprints. IIRC it should be:

supplydrop log_vesper_7

It still works even though it probably isn't part of the story anymore.
    Coreador wrote: »
    You can use the console to trigger the appropriate supply drop to get the depth module blueprints. IIRC it should be:

supplydrop log_vesper_7

Than you very match. frend! I can continue game now :-)
  • PerfidyPerfidy Join Date: 2020-03-10 Member: 258636Members
    aldefender wrote: »

supplydrop log_vesper_7

Just FYI you don't need the depth module to get the crashed ship parts. The smaller bit of the broken ship can be found on the slope of rocket island, at around 100m deep, entering the purple vents area from the west. It's near an alien tech to scan, so if you have Al-An, when you see the energy thing indicating there is alien teach nearby, you are close to the wreck. You can swim into an already open hole. A bit deeper in you'll find the engines, from which you must remove the cover using the laser cutter just like in the other ship.

There are two pieces of ship wrecks that can be used to repair the radio tower.
    edited March 2020
    Perfidy wrote: »

supplydrop log_vesper_7

Just FYI you don't need the depth module to get the crashed ship parts. The smaller bit of the broken ship can be found on the slope of rocket island, at around 100m deep, entering the purple vents area from the west. It's near an alien tech to scan, so if you have Al-An, when you see the energy thing indicating there is alien teach nearby, you are close to the wreck. You can swim into an already open hole. A bit deeper in you'll find the engines, from which you must remove the cover using the laser cutter just like in the other ship.

There are two pieces of ship wrecks that can be used to repair the radio tower.

I think we did not understand each other very well. I had no problem repairing the radio tower. There was a problem with the fact that after the repair they did not give (as it was before, in the old plot) the depth module for the sea truck. This stopped progress - it is not possible to visit deep biomes without this module (No MK1 version - no MK2 and MK3). As Coreador said above, he added it with the console and I can explore further.
    However, without further development of the plot, it is boring - what is the further goal?
  • KyzarvsKyzarvs UK Join Date: 2019-08-08 Member: 254142Members
    However, without further development of the plot, it is boring - what is the further goal?

It's a whole new story - as the devpost said no spoilers and it will in all likelihood take months to develop, it would seem like you are jumping the gun by weeks / months? There's not enough of the story to make any judgement on whatsoever yet, the joys of early access o:)

At the moment it's pretty much a sandbox - I'm fine with playing with that until the devs have a great story to weave into the environment. That doesn't mean 1.0 will be an empty sandbox, merely this is where we are now.

• HerobrinesbestminionHerobrinesbestminion Join Date: 2019-12-07 Member: 256209Members
    why do humans think other humans are some super working machines that can form new content from nothing? please don't make me go into great sage mode to explain that sea emporer style ;) yes it's the beginning so shut up they can't just change cutscenes and all in a second.... (sorry I'm a little bit triggered by all the new intro hate...)
  • PerfidyPerfidy Join Date: 2020-03-10 Member: 258636Members
    Kyzarvs wrote: »

It's a whole new story - as the devpost said no spoilers and it will in all likelihood take months to develop, it would seem like you are jumping the gun by weeks / months? There's not enough of the story to make any judgement on whatsoever yet, the joys of early access o:)

At the moment it's pretty much a sandbox - I'm fine with playing with that until the devs have a great story to weave into the environment. That doesn't mean 1.0 will be an empty sandbox, merely this is where we are now.

Right. I misunderstood.

For some reason I took this to mean you thought you needed the depth module to repair the tower: "Previously, it was necessary to repair the radio tower."
  • CoreadorCoreador USA Join Date: 2016-01-12 Member: 211310Members
    I know it takes a long time, plus multiple iterations, to make a good story. My original post is not intended to be unreasonable. I simply want to understand what to expect, because at the moment I don't know if my content dead-end was due to lack of further content or a bug. If a bug, I'd like the devs to know so they can address it.

I'm just asking for a little of setting the correct expectations.
  • nuker1nuker1 Join Date: 2020-03-17 Member: 258842Members
    The experimental branch's story is essentially not functioning beyond the intro. There are no pointers or nudges. Essential equipment/story events to obtain said equipment aren't present. A lot of the old story is still present, but some key parts have been removed.

It's clearly in a clean-up phase before anything beyond the intro gets added on -- which makes sense. That being said, there are a couple of new things to run into that are assumedly not important to the overall story. I'm looking at you sea monkeys ;)