Kindly requesting Developers to save Texture Quality setting on your profile/save

CaiobrzCaiobrz Brazil Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236501Members
edited February 2018 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
I have to reduce Texture Quality from 4 to 3 every time I run the game. As a lot of people are experiencing, Texture Quality 4 is too much even for high-spec computers and causes stutters, surfaces not loading, objects not loading, popins and such.

I have no problem with running the game with a smaller Texture Quality, the problem is that I cannot set it on the options (please add it to the options too!) and I don't want to reduce other details (in fact, I tweaked my clipmaps to render more chunks), but having to remember to reduce the aforementioned setting every time is tiring.

Please save this status like the other settings so we don't need to change on every run.

Also, I take this time to suggest that the default Texture Quality setting be changed to:

Profile/Details LOW: 1
Profile/Details MEDIUM: 2
Profile/Details HIGH: 3

Texture Quality 4 would only be available by using a (new) Texture Quality slider, should be called "ULTRA"

Thankyou!

Note: Running Experimental batch 59912, so I don't mind if it gets implemented now but goes to retail in a year =p

Comments

• CaiobrzCaiobrz Brazil Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236501Members
    edited March 2018
    We still cant set Texture Quality, can I at least get an ETA / will-do from the devs? I love the game but remembering to set the texture quality every time I load when we could have, like most games, a Texture Quality setting on the options seems such an easy fix.

I will even venture and tag someone @Obraxis senpai, onegai?
  • zontwitchzontwitch Canada Join Date: 2018-02-21 Member: 238022Members
    Tagging devs has worked so well in the past hasn't it? I am so tired of seeing "Hey" and "Sorry" on the slideshow of latest dev posts.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Caiobrz wrote: »
    We still cant set Texture Quality, can I at least get an ETA / will-do from the devs? I love the game but remembering to set the texture quality every time I load when we could have, like most games, a Texture Quality setting on the options seems such an easy fix.

I will even venture and tag someone @Obraxis senpai, onegai?

Yes, you can. You can only do it in the main menu. You go to graphics and set the "Detail" option.
  • CaiobrzCaiobrz Brazil Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236501Members
    edited March 2018
    Yes, you can. You can only do it in the main menu. You go to graphics and set the "Detail" option.

No you can't, that switches every detail, selects the clipmaps, and probably view distance, and not only texture quality. There is a reason why you can manually change Texture Quality separately in the F3 window
  • EldHawkeEldHawke Join Date: 2020-01-02 Member: 256902Members
    edited January 2020
    I have a similar issue. is this digging up a dead post or should I make a new thread?

Instead of the texture dropping it's always on 1 in the F3 window and I have to keep setting it on 2,3 or 4, even after saving and reloading.

Have evidence of my tests and would like to further discuss on a mod...is that allowed to be discussed here?
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    edited January 2020
    Either works, as this adds to the original discussion (and new users can't create new discussions until 1 post and 24 hours have passed).

Modding is allowed, but the game doesn't have built-in mod support. Mods typically have to be updated after the game is updated.
    narfblat wrote: »
    Either works, as this adds to the original discussion (and new users can't create new discussions until 1 post and 24 hours have passed).

Modding is allowed, but the game doesn't have built-in mod support. Mods typically have to be updated after the game is updated.

Thanks narfblat,

So in a nutshell I'm trying to use qmod to load a really simple dll that modifies the quality settings values to max and more specifically changes the F3 settings to specific values, these are meant to be applied on initial loading up of the game to the main menu, as mentioned above my texture level is always 1 even if I have highest settings in options menu or if I F3 and set texture quality to 2,3 or 4 save and then reload.

(Please note the mod mentioned above does not tinker with anything major, it uses base dll's in the unity engine which will most likely never be changed)

According to my research the exact call for the specific texture limit setting is:
    "QualitySettings.masterTextureLimit" which comes from the class GraphicsDebugGUI in Assembly-CSharp.

I am able to set different types of values which do work and on initial loading up of the game to the main menu my log file indicates the value for "QualitySettings.masterTextureLimi" is 0 because of the math derived from GraphicsDebugGUI:

"Texture Quality (current: " + (4 - QualitySettings.masterTextureLimit)"

Therefore it should be 0 as 4-0=4, 4 is the best quality, all well and good.

Now after clicking load game it loads into the game, I hit F3 and its back to 1 (or 3 as 4-3=1), this leads to another piece of information I have found on reddit to which I am not sure if this is true but maybe can be clarified?

"If your machine has less than exactly 6144mb (a little over 6GB) of RAM and you select "High" for the Detail option in the Graphics Settings menu your Texture Quality will be dropped down to 1, lower even than the "Low" option, meaning you have to set the texture quality using the F3 menu every time you start the game.

This patch removes this RAM requirement to prevent the problem."

The patch above somehow fixes this issue for Subnautica but unfortunately does not work for Below Zero, so I am trying to do it myself.

So to sum this all up, either there is something I am missing in my code or the game itself has an inbuilt calculation or checker that forces the texture limit every time before the player enters a map after the main menu (I'm guessing during "load map" it sets this value) which is very frustrating to set every time.
    No takers on the info above?

Can someone please clarify if my code is borked or if this is a know issue.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    I actually started off there and with a little help isolated the code already listed above, after some brief discussion they also said it must be forced in the game engine somewhere as my code seemed to be working. I was hoping it could be confirmed on this particular issue of the texture limit resetting itself after every game load and will it maybe be fixed? maybe a slider or buttons could be added in the game main menu to set this before hand? (I had also submitted it as a bug in game)

I'm assuming this will be a few minutes of work as I built my mod from scratch with no prior knowledge (except being a CEH) in like less than 4 hours, so an actual dev with much more experience of Subnautica BZ could fix this in no time.
    UPDATE:
    I had been given the original source code for "Detail High - Blurry Textures Fix" on nexusmods built by rubyruby0 and recompiled with the BZ dll's, its working now.