Weird reinstall destroyed savegame

RegenjasRegenjas Nederland Join Date: 2018-03-04 Member: 238579Members
Hello there, Friday(02-03-18) evening I was able to play normally, had good progress and I finally got the prawn suit ingame. Shortly after I saved the game as normal and closed it down.

The morning after I wanted to continue playing. I tried starting up the game but it said it wasn't installed yet. So I checked in my gamefolder first and it was clearly there. Being scared as hell to lose my hard work. I copied my gamefile and put it on my desktop. Not knowing what would be best, I let steam continue and download it(again). It checked for excisting game files and it looked like it found them all, because after that it didn't download anything.

I then was able to start up the game. I went to my save games and there was my savegame. With the good amount of time played, save thumbnail and what vehicles I have. But when I loaded the game I started in the water somewhere between the aurora and my lifepod with nothing. Like I just started playing. When I finally got back to the lifepod. everything was gone. My radio, fabricator and medpack generator were all gone, the medpack generator was even transparent and i was able to look outside like a small window.

Can someone please tell me what's wrong and that I didn't play 17 hours of gameplay for nothing and I can just change something and play again with my normal gamefile? please.

I started to test some thing and the only thing that i was able to find that was different when i loaded another game is that de lifepod spawns at a different location although i think that that's intended.

I also tried some other things like starting a fresh game and copy paste all the files from my desktop to the new save(read that that might help). Sadly it didn't. I was also talking to a friend about this and he says it's normal to start over every new patch but I just can't imagine that it works like that. + I don't even think it was an update. Because it downloadef nothing.

I also tried to fully de-install en re-install the game. Even on different hard-drives, that didn't help either. It all has the same result.

Does anybody know this problem, is there anything I can try and does someone know the solution on how to fix this problem.

Please :(

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Probably your Subnautica install location was corrupted (which includes your saved game) and that's why it said it wasn't installed. Try running chkdsk (I think there's a line in my signature about that, or Google it)
  • RegenjasRegenjas Nederland Join Date: 2018-03-04 Member: 238579Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Probably your Subnautica install location was corrupted (which includes your saved game) and that's why it said it wasn't installed. Try running chkdsk (I think there's a line in my signature about that, or Google it)

Thanks, I tried and it looked really promissing. Sadly it didn't work and i still have the same result. I even used the hard chkdsk /r c: command and it looked like it detected something but nothing chanced afterwards.
    Yeah, would be best to do chkdsk before trying moving things around and reinstalling, if you suspect damage. Keep in mind if it's your system drive, you'll need to restart to complete the scan (it should tell you this). /f is make repairs, and /r is do a deep scan for physically damaged or weak disk sectors (not usually necessary).
    chkdsk c: /f

• RegenjasRegenjas Nederland Join Date: 2018-03-04 Member: 238579Members
    @0x6A7232 Thank you, i indeed think it would have been better if i did it before i started reinstalling the game (although i didn't even know the command excisted, my bad as a IT student :( ). Is there anything i can do to save my savefile and be able to play it again like normal? anything i can try to do to recover something?
    edited March 2018
    You could try clearing the cache files, if your saved game files are intact but the cache is corrupted, that might help. http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/146057/p1

Other than that, you'd have to find the lost data. You could try various software to recover deleted files, but the problem is, the files weren't deleted; the data was lost or corrupted. Software that can do deep scans might be able to help though. It could be overwritten by now, though. (Software usually will inform you of this).

These are the 4 files you'll need to recover for each saved game (you don't need the last one, screenshot.jpg, but a file named "screenshot.jpt" must exist for the saved game to display in the list - you can make a blank file and name it screenshot.jpg or stick a random picture there and rename it).
    • gameinfo.json
    • global-objects.bin
    • scene-objects.bin
    • screenshot.jpg (<- that's the little thumbnail showing you a preview of the save when you go to load)

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

https://www.minitool.com/data-recovery/corrupt-files.html

https://www.easeus.com/data-recovery/repair-corrupted-hard-disk-without-formatting.html (at the bottom)

• CheayolCheayol Nwe York Join Date: 2019-11-04 Member: 255288Members
    You can try Bitwar to recover you game files or corrupted files :) .
  • Drak1eternalDrak1eternal Join Date: 2019-11-05 Member: 255309Members
    It looks like the case when there was a virus and the antivirus deleted it, but the registry damage remained.
  • ButtchinButtchin St Aug Join Date: 2019-12-18 Member: 256535Members
    So I'm trying to transfer my data over to my laptop and i installed the game put the save folder in the right place, I have everything like it should, but when i go and hit play nothing shows up. Pls help