Mod to add "live" mapping to Subnautica (v0.10)

13»

Comments

• grankgrank Join Date: 2018-02-05 Member: 236940Members
    I forked this and was going to PR updating those graphics above, and maybe look at separating out some layers... but I found that I can't execute the build script on a machine that doesn't have Subnautica installed. I don't really do any dev on my gaming PC as it's hooked up to the living room TV. I haven't decided yet whether I want to create the registry entries and copy over the few files it needs in order to build on my office PC, or install a devenv on my gaming PC. Both seem awkward :)
  • XzanronXzanron Join Date: 2016-12-21 Member: 225299Members
    edited February 2018
    grank wrote: »
    I forked this and was going to PR updating those graphics above, and maybe look at separating out some layers... but I found that I can't execute the build script on a machine that doesn't have Subnautica installed. I don't really do any dev on my gaming PC as it's hooked up to the living room TV. I haven't decided yet whether I want to create the registry entries and copy over the few files it needs in order to build on my office PC, or install a devenv on my gaming PC. Both seem awkward :)

AppVeyor doesn't need SN installed :). You can force a CI build by setting the CI environment variable to.. well. anything :). Or just pass it directly into msbuild /p:CI=true .

The default setup is intended to make development of the core mod easier, because it also automatically installs/updates the mod in the SN game directory. There are more options avaialble in subnautica-watcher.proj, e.g. just building the web-app and not the c# mod components.
  • rusubnauticarusubnautica Russia Join Date: 2018-02-06 Member: 237008Members
    edited February 2018
    Very cool and useful mod!
  • EccleZoneEccleZone Germany Join Date: 2018-02-07 Member: 237105Members
    All I have to say is this:
    Just commenting here to thank the creator of this mod. Well made. Super useful. Can’t imagine playing without it anymore.

Tip to others; put your tablet computer near you, open the browser, type in IP-address of game PC, follow with port number as you would normally.. now you have a navigation system. No more Shift+tab, just look at your tablet and then back at your computer screen. Yay!

Again, VERY awesome mod. Thank you for the time and effort you put into this. It is much appreciated and enjoyed.

Perfect MOD -> made my day ;)
  • Vitriolic_OneVitriolic_One Join Date: 2018-02-20 Member: 237988Members
    I love this mod, but would ask that it be updated to work with the new mod loader system that's showing up over on the Nexus - right now the one that seems to have traction is Qmod - (I'd post the link but I can't just yet it seems. Just google Nexus and Qmod) this lets several mods be loaded at the same time. Thanks for your great work with this!
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    edited February 2018
    I wish that the player would be free to use the mouse to draw whatever notes on the map as they want. This is something that every game with a minimap should allow. Things like marking your progress with red marker to show a safe passage to a certain place, putting stars wherever a landmark (or seamark) is situated, and warning signs where a reaper or ghost leviathan has been lured into an otherwise safer area.

These could also be upload-able into time capsules as items which other players can upload to their PDA so that they don't have to create their own map, I guess.
  • ltorionltorion United States Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236698Members
    OP question for you I have found something that you have listed on the map key, but in a location that is not listed on the map you use. If people find something like that do you want to be informed in order to update the map? I'm not saying here for spoiler reasons but if you have no problem with me iding it here let me know I can post a screenie of your map showing the location.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    What I did was download a Subnautica map image and put it on a picture frame in my base and/or cyclops. This is certainly a good alternative though!
  • XzanronXzanron Join Date: 2016-12-21 Member: 225299Members
    ltorion wrote: »
    OP question for you I have found something that you have listed on the map key, but in a location that is not listed on the map you use. If people find something like that do you want to be informed in order to update the map? I'm not saying here for spoiler reasons but if you have no problem with me iding it here let me know I can post a screenie of your map showing the location.

All the POIs are in a json data file you can see in map/data folder. I don't maintain the list myself, but regenerate it each build from data in the Wiki.
    I wish that the player would be free to use the mouse to draw whatever notes on the map as they want. This is something that every game with a minimap should allow. Things like marking your progress with red marker to show a safe passage to a certain place, putting stars wherever a landmark (or seamark) is situated, and warning signs where a reaper or ghost leviathan has been lured into an otherwise safer area.

These could also be upload-able into time capsules as items which other players can upload to their PDA so that they don't have to create their own map, I guess.

Ability to add your own POIs and such is something i'd like to add when I find the time. I also have an idea for at least drawing your track when you move. More complex stuff might be tricky, and I have no idea if adding stuff like that to the capsules is even possible, especially are they are all reviewed by unknown worlds I believe.
  • NitroglycerineNitroglycerine the Netherlands Join Date: 2018-02-27 Member: 238373Members
    I might have missed it, but would it be possible to access the URL from a different machine, e.g. a tablet or second computer? That way you will have an actual and up to date map screen, without having to access the URL from your steam overlay.
  • Orihalcon_ZAOrihalcon_ZA South Africa Join Date: 2018-02-13 Member: 237535Members
    I might have missed it, but would it be possible to access the URL from a different machine, e.g. a tablet or second computer? That way you will have an actual and up to date map screen, without having to access the URL from your steam overlay.

Yes it is. Just enter the IP:port of the web service on the device you are running the mod on into the browser of of your tablet/phone/whatever.
  • adam24786adam24786 Join Date: 2018-04-08 Member: 239897Members
    Kind of new to this, how am I supposed to install this mod? I found something about Qmods but I don't know if this fits into that category.
  • EccleZoneEccleZone Germany Join Date: 2018-02-07 Member: 237105Members
    @adam24786 goto first post on page one, then find the part 'Where Can I Get It?' beneath the screenshot

For this amazing MOD QMods is NOT necessary.
  • jakester00010jakester00010 Join Date: 2019-11-27 Member: 255954Members
    After I extraced the file into the subnautica folder and went into the SubnauticaWatcherInstaller folder, I couldn't find SubnauticaWatcherInstaller.exe

Could someone help me plz?
  • jakester00010jakester00010 Join Date: 2019-11-27 Member: 255954Members
    edited November 2019
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Since the latest release of the mod was before the latest Subnautica update, it is unlikely to work anyway. You can try looking on Nexus mods to see if there is another map mod you like.
  • FeiwuzeiFeiwuzei Hawaii Join Date: 2019-11-17 Member: 255638Members
    edited November 2019
    Xzanron wrote: »

If I were really trapped on 4546B I'd definitely be drawing a map, pinning it to wall in my cyclops, or drawing it in AlterraPaint on my PDA.

Alterra does not encourage creative endeavors outside of given assignment and work load. So you would need to download contraband program like GUMPtion.