Below Zero Micro-Update Released - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageBelow Zero Micro-Update Released - Subnautica

A small update has been released for Below Zero on the Steam, Epic, and Discord stores. This update is not a major feature release. It contains some bug fixes and...

Read the full story here

Comments

• TabooTaboo Japan? Join Date: 2019-05-14 Member: 252874Members
    Boi that is a short changelog. I forgot to report a bug with an awesome holy white light slowly consuming my screen as I went through the underwater caves to the Glacial Basin btw. Not sure if it was covered or whatnot but I did forget to mention it when Snowfox first was released. So if anyone wanted to know there it is. I run Windows 10 and Java build 1.8.0_181-b13. I have NVIDIA graphics and an Intel i7-7700K processor. I don't know what else to list that could help tell if the bug resulted from a problem on my end so I am going to just post this and see what happens. Thanks for all your hard work on this game I got it from a friend right when it came out and it was so much fun just to work my ecological and biological region of my brain. I love the color scheme this game has as well. Keep up the great work! (P.S. I love the MS Paint lookin' posters everywhere at the start of the game)
  • SaltShakerSaltShaker Join Date: 2019-05-14 Member: 252878Members
    So far, I've really enjoyed this game. I have so many memories with Subnautica, and I remember when the reaper leviathan was the biggest hostile creature in the game. I remember when we couldn't explore the Aroura, and the first time seeing that giant spaceship explode. Seeing Subnautica evolve over the years was something special to me, so when I heard about Subnautica Below Zero, needless to say I was very excited.

So far, the game has been great. I don't expect it to be as good as the original Subnautica right off the bat, but I think this game has a lot of potential. However, there are some problems that I have.

I personally don't care for how casually the Precursors are integrated into the game thus far. I understand why, but I miss the mystery behind them. We knew so little about them, and it's weird having people talk about the structures they left behind so casually. It's a nitpick to be sure, but it just doesn't sit right with me.

A second problem I have at the moment is the use of Bonesharks. I'm 100% sure they are just placeholders, but they aren't exactly pleasant to be around. Why Bonesharks? These things are just annoying to have to deal with. (I made the decision right off the bat to make my base on land if at all possible, so rocket island was the perfect place to do it.) Again, i'm sure they are just Placeholders until the new creatures are made, but it's still a bit of a hassle to try and get a few pieces of gold and silver only to be attacked by a gang of angry Bonesharks.

The biggest problem I have with this game is the building system. It's the same system from the original Subnautica, and at first that isn't such a bad thing. It was a solid building system...... Underwater. We see multiple bases on land in both Subnautica, and it's sequel Below Zero. Even the habitat builder's data entry states that the tool was capable of building on land. Whenever you try to build a base on land, the compartments never sit flush to the ground. They always end up sticking a good 5 feet off of the ground, making the base look out of place. It's incredibly frustrating. I have managed to build a decent looking base on rocket island, but it was a very difficult task. I hope that we will see a "builder's update" in the future. Possibly allowing us to use new types of compartments, the use of bulkheads as entrances, and a complete overhaul of the building system that allows us to build structures on land without having to fight for 30 minutes to find a spot where the game will allow a base piece to sit as close to the ground as possible. I know a complete redesign of the building system is unlikely, but I'd like to see something changed that allows us to build bases above the water. Especially with the newest update introducing a new biome that's completely above the water.

Now that I've gotten my "problems" out of the way, i'd like to take a moment to say what I really enjoy about the game so far.

The biomes are incredibly well made in my opinion. I love the diversity and the colors of the different biomes that take place here. I didn't expect a game taking place in the arctic to be so colorful, but i'm very happy that I was taken by surprise. It's clear to me that a lot of love and hard work was put into making each biome distinct and unique in it's own way right from the start. I have had a lot of fun so far exploring this game, and seeing creatures like the rock puncher for the first time was amazing.

I have to say that I love the concept for the Seatruck. The idea behind it is brilliant, but I hope that we get to see new compartments added on in the future. One thing I loved about the Cyclops was the ability to build inside of it. I know that there isn't enough room inside the Seatruck to justify that, but maybe we can see a type of compartment that has push outs similar to an RV, that gives us just enough space to build a few lockers, maybe some battery chargers, or even some pots for a few plants, etc. I love the idea behind the Seatruck, the ability to fully customize your vehicle's features is amazing, and I cannot wait to see what future compartments the team has planned.

In conclusion, I adore Subnautica, and I have very high hopes for this game. I know your team will make every pat of Below Zero just as good if not better than it's predecessor. I can't wait to see what you have in store for this game
  • Garcia16Garcia16 Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240275Members
    Its a joke at this point. Xbox still runs like sh*t. This problem just not gonna get fixed or what...
  • SpybaconSpybacon Join Date: 2019-05-14 Member: 252879Members
    Did they ever put back Omega base to its coordinates on the wiki? Or is it still not there?
  • huangjunweihuangjunwei Join Date: 2019-04-28 Member: 252606Members
    why do I need to post once before I can report a bug? :(
  • BigMeikBigMeik Planet 4546B Join Date: 2019-05-15 Member: 252896Members
    > @Garcia16 said:
    > Its a joke at this point. Xbox still runs like sh*t. This problem just not gonna get fixed or what...

The game is still in development, just be patient until everything has been smoothed out. It was the same with the base game and look where it ended up. Just be patient. :smile:
  • BigMeikBigMeik Planet 4546B Join Date: 2019-05-15 Member: 252896Members
    > @Spybacon said:
    > Did they ever put back Omega base to its coordinates on the wiki? Or is it still not there?

Anti-Spam-Measurements. I'm happy it's only one post instead of a "wait 7 days to do stuff"-thingy.
  • CrosscarossCrosscaross Sweden Join Date: 2019-05-22 Member: 253004Members
    Is there more to the "storyline" than day 10? I haven't got a voicemessage in a really long time.

Am i supposed to find something in the glacial thinging?

Please help. Thanks!
  • TheInfidelTheInfidel Join Date: 2019-05-17 Member: 252921Members
    So why is this game still tanking like the first one on a 1080 8gb strix for no obvious reason, also it COOKS the gpu even when your tasked out to the desktop. Lemme guess you didnt change anything and just slap on new content on the core of the old game and release it as a new game.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    @TheInfidel Below Zero is a standalone expansion, which generally tend to be "new content slapped on the core" of an existing game. If you want a full new game, I recommend waiting for "Subnautica 2", which I would guess they are planning on. The sequel would be made fresh, likely with a new game engine, new development tools, and a new perspective on making underwater games. This may help them avoid some of the high resource usage and other issues faced when making Subnautica.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited June 2019
    Can we please have a way to get our equipment back from the damn Seamonkeys?
    They are a real P.I.T.A. !!!

Like maybe being able to steal it back from their nests.

What would be even better is a Wrist Strap Blueprint that would prevent them form being able to steal things every single time you happen to bump into one.
  • RockaBen99RockaBen99 Join Date: 2019-03-26 Member: 251971Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Can we please have a way to get our equipment back from the damn Seamonkeys?
    They are a real P.I.T.A. !!!

Like maybe being able to steal it back from their nests.

What would be even better is a Wrist Strap Blueprint that would prevent them form being able to steal things every single time you happen to bump into one.

You can steal things back from their nests, you just need to find the right one.
  • SparklebuzzSparklebuzz Québec Join Date: 2019-06-04 Member: 253209Members
    Is there any way to test it on VR ? I started playing with my Oculus Rift, and now playing in front of a screen is not as immersive... It was a bit buggy (like clicking to rename or stat/stop the cyclop), but still very good! So any VR option yet?
  • FeiwuzeiFeiwuzei Hawaii Join Date: 2019-11-17 Member: 255638Members
    @RockaBen99 and @DaveyNY I have been able to swim up under seamonkeys and steal back items. What is funny when you find a seamonkey nest you can scan it and it shows up as half of the ultra-high capacity. It said 1/2 seamonkey nest but the only thing in the PDA is the UHCtank.
  • VoluspaVoluspa Old Earth Join Date: 2019-02-04 Member: 250375Members
    When in sea monkey areas, try not to have any items in your hand except when necessary, and remove again as soon as possible. If they're stolen, you can snatch them back. It's easiest with items with lights as you can then easily see which sea monkey is swimming around lighting up the world around them... I still think they're cute, but I would appreciate a "fail rate" when they try to snatch things.

As for the nests, you scan them for technology blueprints from stuff they have previously squirreled away (so you don't actually scan the nest - I don't think. Although I did think that was the case when began playing Below Zero...)
  • FeiwuzeiFeiwuzei Hawaii Join Date: 2019-11-17 Member: 255638Members
    @Voluspa if not a fail rate at least the noise, though noisy thieves are not as successful, but would at least correspond to similar events with sharks. (Never knew after years of diving that sharks roared underwater :p until I played Subnautica)
  • JAZZYFORSUBNAUTICAJAZZYFORSUBNAUTICA Join Date: 2018-05-01 Member: 240453Members
    SEAMONKEY BE LIKE YEET
    Well, right after posting this I had my first experience of not being able to find the li'l monkey that stole my scanner! Though "luckily" I had accidentally made two scanners anyway.
    Just have to say, with the changes in storyline and finding Alan, the whole "wow" has gone out of meeting an alien... I guess it might get better with voices and not just text but Robin just seems a bit too OK with practically everything. From threats to what happens next...
  • ghanighani Norway Join Date: 2019-11-20 Member: 255722Members
    I had to stop playing below zero because 'sea monkeys'. After the last update I decided to restart another play through and yup the second I got enough mats to craft the habitat tool they stole it, I grabbed it back they stole it again and I lost it.
    186 hours in subnautica and I still go back, 27 hours in below zero and I never want to go in again unless they tone down or remove those little ******** from the starter area at least.
    Gaming should be a pleasure and a relaxing enjoyable experience, not a lesson in frustration and time wasting.
    This was a a few weeks ago and yes I submitted my feedback but I am still so disappointed about it that I feel the need to post on here also.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    I found out if you just jab them with your knife before they get very far away, they drop the item they stole and you can retrieve it from the ocean floor.