Can MACs get some luv?

aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
MACs aren't too useful seeing as how weak and slow they currently are, outside of base duty (which even then is a risky proposition).
  • Add flashlight back as seen in the old alpha loading screen
  • Have its siren flash red when under attack
  • Make it tougher and zippier (could be offset by cost).
  • Start the game with one free MAC? Would be incentive to get people out of base faster.

It'd be nice to have the MAC used as often as the drifter is on aliens, rather then being mostly relegated to late game behind the lines RT building, which usually ends in tragedy quite rapidly.

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    The robo factory is not a good build path early on in the game. I think this is the base issue.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    MACs that are worth a damn would go a long way
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited November 2019
    I noticed this on the development roadmap under balance:
    -MACs don't offer enough welding value until Marines have Armor 2, and cannot escape from Skulks when sent out to repair or build solo.

-MAC build rate is atrocious

-Sentries are too expensive and unreliable due to abundant cover for aliens all over the map. Or because it takes 3 bile bombs to destroy them. Or because you can almost always find a position to get into where a single sentry cannot shoot you, so that you can safely kill each one individually.

-ARCs move too slow -especially on infestation- and require the entire team to support them.
    It feels like there is missing tech for Robo if its supposed to be a "path"

Agree with all of these. Maybe bring back the 'electrify' ability from NS1?
    This was an ability that allowed commanders to electrify their RTs to deter the typical 1-2 skulk attacks. Once skulks grouped up beyond this it was less effective, or until bile bomb came out and gorges accompanied skulks hitting RTs. I imagine the old EMP pulse cinematic could be used when skulks came within proximity.

Essentially electrifying most of your more remote RTs in the early game instead of always going for a1, w1 immediately was an alternative strategy. Maybe something like this in concert with buffs to the other robo tech would be interesting. Electrify ability is unlocked when an ARC factory is built. I'd still like to see something like a free MAC at game spawn though, or one is spawned from the ARC factory for free when dropped.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Electrify on macs was in the game once. I don't remember why it was removed. I remember people using it to hunt down and kill fades.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    lol that sounds hilarious. Was this called EMP pulse or just electrify? I remember a lot of different things being tested back in beta and the earlier builds.