ARM Compatibility

PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
Hi, all!

Considering how I literally only play NS2 (yes... I know) and I am considering the Surface Pro X, what is the possibility of getting the game to run on an ARM processor such as the SQ1?

I've read that it requires a modified X64 architecture. Steam apparently already works, but almost all games currently do not.

I know that this is a bit of a pipedream, but as someone who has very limited gaming requirements and primarily use his laptop for productivity works such as spreadsheets, word processing, browsing; the ability to do all I need on such a light package would be incredible.

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    You could run a power point presentation of NS2 screenshots and get a similar experience.
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ARM is neat but won't run NS2 anytime soon. If you want to run NS2, you are better off with the older Surface models with an intel chip (and probably not more than 60FPS at that).

Otherwise just stick with the Surface Pro X with the ARM chip for your work and travel and throw some money at a cheap desktop PC with a decent budget build for a proper gaming battlestation.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Everyone is different, too. For me, a portable computer needs to be waterproof, shockproof, and be able to run any linux kernel I want. I tend to leave my things outside in rainstorms, inebriated bonfires, or the occasional dirt bike rally and I need to be able to wake up and find my laptop in one piece.
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Have you had any experience in running NS2 in a Surface Pro? I am also considering the Surface Pro 7. It has Intel Iris Plus graphics, which blows, but if it can run the game at 60ish FPS at low settings, it may suffice for my needs.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    A few years ago with the 4790k with the integrated graphics I was able to maintain about 40fps. The game performance had improved a little since then but probably not enough for what you want. Ns2 sadly is not a good game for light computing devices.
    NS2 is bottlenecked by single thread performance last time I heard, which is pretty much every non-gaming laptop
    Build 318 may have fixed that, however. Anyone test that?
    Build 318 may have fixed that, however. Anyone test that?

It improved things, but I don't believe it is enough for what he is doing.
    I'm going to pick a Surface Pro 7 i7 this weekend at BB and will put it to the test. Will report back with my findings!

I can always return it afterwards...
    PoNeH wrote: »
    I'm going to pick a Surface Pro 7 i7 this weekend at BB and will put it to the test. Will report back with my findings!

I can always return it afterwards...

And?
    So, I went to Best Buy and grabbed not only a Surface Pro 7, but also a Razer Blade 15 Advanced (240Hz) with the RTX-2070 (Max-Q). =)

Figured I'd play around with both ends of the spectrum... Wanted to see what NS2 was really meant to be played like as a control for the test.

On the RB15, the game constantly runs above 180FPS! It feel like I have aimbot on! I swear can predict where people are going before they event think about it.

On the SP7, I can't get past 40-50FPS. On longer games, it quickly dropped to mid-20s. It really sucks because this processor (10th gen i7) is blazing fast! I swear it feels faster than the RB15 when not gaming. If its single USB-C port was at least thunderbolt, than we could rely on an external GPU to cover the gap. Maybe next year?

Anyways, I'm on a bit of a dilemma now. The SP7's portability is ideal for work. However, the RB15 gives you confidence that you can achieve anything with it! I don't game much, and I'm destined to game much less in 2020 due to work, but it is always nice having that option. Going to have to mull over this for a bit and see which one goes back.

All in all, no way that the Surface Pro X, with it's emulation for x86 programs, would be playable, even if it did manage to run the game. =(
    In addition to the low end graphics on the surface you are probably being thermally throttled.

Please let us know what you decide. I would like to know.
    I returned the RB15 today! Keeping the SP7. I love this little guy. It's so convenient to have such a small form-factor. I'm going to play around with it to see how I can push it on the graphics side and hopefully get NS2 somewhat playable on it.
    You may be able to eek out more fps simply cooling it better. I am not sure what options you may have with a surface pro.
    Work before play, now that's a very responsible adult for ya ;)

In any case, you can always drop money into a proper battlestation for gaming in the future. It makes good separation because you aren't tempted to just play games when you have work to do. Especially if you put your desktop in a place where you aren't around very often.

I know someone who has one of those earlier surface pro's and he flashed Ubuntu on it. It works great.
    Indeed!

I already have a lappy that I game with; a Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 with a Radeon Vega M GL. It isn't a powerhouse, but gets the work done. The Razer was just too heavy with its 200W power brick to lug around. With its 3-5 hour battery life, that was a necessity I couldn't get over.

I'm playing around with drivers on the SP7 and have already improved it a bit. Going to see if I can do anything meaningful with ThrottleStop.
  • ikirikir Join Date: 2003-07-19 Member: 18265Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    NS2 is indeed run incredibly well on Mac with M1 (with Crossover). M1 is incredible.
  • hardeep0607hardeep0607 Join Date: 2021-01-04 Member: 266565Members
    I am also facing the same issue.